Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBA necessary?

Options
  • 13-07-2007 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

I have just applied to the Bachelor of Commerce in Business and Chinese Studies at UCD. My intention is to work abroad for the majority of my career in the finance sector. Is it necessary to obtain an MBA along with my BComm to be recognised by the top firms, or is my BComm from UCD an adequate credential to have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

I have just applied to the Bachelor of Commerce in Business and Chinese Studies at UCD. My intention is to work abroad for the majority of my career in the finance sector. Is it necessary to obtain an MBA along with my BComm to be recognised by the top firms, or is my BComm from UCD an adequate credential to have?
    It is 6 years before you can do an mba, no point in even thinking about it
    now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

now.

Where did you get that figure from??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

i know that for admittance onto the trinity mba that there is a minimum of 3 years experience at manager level but they do take on people who would get a first in their degree for instance. if you want to go into finance your degree would be all that you need, plus a good head for maths. you would be only going into an entry level position anyway so they cant really expect a lot more. if you had a MA aswell then obviously it might make more sense if it was a corporate finance one, than a general MBA. afterall, what does MBA stand for???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

MBA = Masters of Business Administration.

OP, it seems you probably haven't a whole lot of research done if you think you can do an MBA at the same time as degree, no offence.

I was talking to a Uni about doing an MBA but they recommended me waiting another few years, I was inexperienced with 2 years of work experience and 1.1. Engineering/I.T. degree.

Plus of course you have to pass the GMAT tests, and pass the interview. Your experience probably will have a big impact on the outcome of the interview I reckon.

All in all, give a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

now.

That may have been the case in the past, but the situation has changed quite a bit. If you take a look at the wider world, top business schools like HBS and Stanford GSB are encouraging a younger demographic to apply, including many straight out of undergraduate programs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

cerebus wrote:
    That may have been the case in the past, but the situation has changed quite a bit. If you take a look at the wider world, top business schools like HBS and Stanford GSB are encouraging a younger demographic to apply, including many straight out of undergraduate programs.
    So what? Of course schools are encouraging a younger demographic to apply, it's called widening your market base.

A twenty-four/five-year old with no professional experience and an MBA is still a twenty-four/five-year old with no professional experience. It may afford him or her a better graduate job, but it's questionable whether it is worth the investment in time at that stage in their career, especially as this is when they'll tend to get squeezed.

I personally would recommend, as others have, working in your industry for a few years and once you begin to climb the corporate ladder then revisit doing an MBA. It's at that point that such a qualification begins to be taken seriously and you are also more likely to get the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

So what? Of course schools are encouraging a younger demographic to apply, it's called widening your market base.

Easy there tiger!

I don't believe I gave any opinion on whether it was a positive or negative thing. Simply a data point to show that this:
    It is 6 years before you can do an mba, no point in even thinking about it now.

is not necessarily the case.

You can find some further information here if you are interested (from 2006, so reasonably recent). Last section describes the emphasis on younger applicants at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and other high-profile US schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

cerebus wrote:
    Easy there tiger!

I don't believe I gave any opinion on whether it was a positive or negative thing.
    LOL. Fair enough. I should really improve my speed reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

OP, it seems you probably haven't a whole lot of research done if you think you can do an MBA at the same time as degree, no offence.

I'm sorry, but where did I suggest that I would do them simultaneously?:confused: ...no offence;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Whoops apologies, yesterday was a dopey day at work after a party weekend! :D

I think The Corinthian gave some good advice on waiting till you have some good work experience before doing one.

I'm 24 and am beginning to think that I'm probably best to wait till my late twenties at least before doing one, and instead improve my technical skills first (I work in I.T.).

A MBA is definitely on my list of things to do, hopefully it will give me much wider and better opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Doug1234

I've been in working in the financial sector for the last 11 years and would agree with the Advice of The Corinthian and Super_Sonic. The MBA can wait for a while as it becomes important after you have a proven track record within the industry, but doesn't really help at the beginning (its also worth remembering that the person that shall be interviewing you may not be as well educated themselves and in the past I have seen situations where people have not gotten that first step on the ladder because of the interviewer having a chip on their shoulder.) - Its unfair, but sadly true !

Advertisement