Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Velvet Revolver's new album Libertad

• 13-07-2007 4:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

I know the album was released on the 2nd of July, but said i'd put something up about the album. And for people who liked Contraband and think this album is another contraband, sorry to say it isin't.

01. Let It Roll
    02. She Mine
    03. Get Out The Door
    04. She Builds Quick Machines
    05. The Last Fight
    06. Pills Demons & Etc
    07. American Man
    08. Mary Mary
    09. Just Sixteen
    10. Can't Get It Out Of My Head
    11. For A Brother
    12. Spay
    13. Gravedancer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

What is it then?

With all the copy protection bull**** on the first one I couldn't get it on the ipod without installing some **** software which I simply refuse to do, so I listened to it maybe once and put it away. As a result my interest in buying this one is zero, unless they've just put out Appetite For Destruction II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Doctor J wrote:
    With all the copy protection bull**** on the first one I couldn't get it on the ipod without installing some **** software which I simply refuse to do, s
    Really? i have a zen and i had no bother putting on? i dunno, to be honest contrabond was ok, nothing spectacular, my brother worships slash so i presume he has this album alredy so il grab a listen at weekend and give some feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Theres a couple of standout tracks on Libertad, But nowhere near the standard of Contraband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

gucci wrote:
    Really? i have a zen and i had no bother putting on?
    Yep, it installs itself without telling you. Bad form.

http://brandon.fuller.name/archives/2004/06/10/09.46.44/
    http://features.engadget.com/2004/06/28/copy-protection-on-the-album-velvet-revolver-contraband/

A lot of BMG CD's came with it on, Foo Fighters, Beastie Boys, etc. They can all go and ****e if they think I'll ever buy another one of their CD's now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Have only heard two songs from the album, SBQM and Let It Roll. I dont really like SBQM, I'm just not feeling it. I think that it clashed with the Pumpkins release might contribute to not listening/buying it yet. Hopefully its better than I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

there are some great songs on this, Just 16 being the standout song (for me anyway, it is quite brilliant) + can't get it out of my head is great too with. both these songs have excellent work from slash on them

there are quite a few bad songs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

Doctor J wrote:
    What is it then?

With all the copy protection bull**** on the first one I couldn't get it on the ipod without installing some **** software which I simply refuse to do, so I listened to it maybe once and put it away. As a result my interest in buying this one is zero, unless they've just put out Appetite For Destruction II.

I put it on my ipod and it was grand. I've never heard of people having trouble with the VRs stuff.

:) Not even GNR could make Appetite part two. That was a once off thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

gucci wrote:
    Really? i have a zen and i had no bother putting on? i dunno, to be honest contrabond was ok, nothing spectacular, my brother worships slash so i presume he has this album alredy so il grab a listen at weekend and give some feedback.

Its not too bad. IMO its not as good as Contraband, but then the feeling of the album is different as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I've heard nothing bad middle of the road to bad reviews so far. Maybe Scott is better off on the junk while recording anyway!! :P Still probably get it cheap online for the Slash bits on the odd good track! :rolleyes:
    Contraband was great imo with only one track I really dislike on it. Have seen them live (not mentioning where or when or what promoter) and they rocked the hell out of the place. Second only to Van Halen on my list of top gigs!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CrazyTrain

VR Rock Live, I've seen them a couple of times and love them, but Libertad is a very bland album with no stand out tracks, unlike Contraband which was a great album.
    Is it just me or are the GN'R's and Stone Temple Pilots songs still the stand-out moments at VR concerts? What does that say about the VR tracks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Libertad is not at all as heavey as contraband, but it is a good album, it took me a few times to listen to it and start appreciating the songs as with contraband, there's one or two i don't like, slash's guitar work is brilliant, the first 6 songs are brilliant it calms down a bit after that but still some good song's, talking heads cover of psycho killer is excellent, and as far as media wise i've seen nothing but good reviews, Classic ROCK 9/10,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Arguably the three best songs from the sessions were left off the album - Messages, Psycho Killer and Gas & A Dollar Laugh. Anyone who is a fan of Slash's playing should listen to Messages - amazing stuff. It didn't make the album so I hope its ok to post a youtube link:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=3pjV1Ah6rNM

Best song from the sessions by 100miles and one of the top three songs VR have ever done IMO (along with Slither and You Got No Right). My only guess as to why its not on the album is because they decided a song about 9/11 from the passengers point of view was inappropriate alongside songs about trannies, sex orgies, etc. Still, they should have done more with it than release it as a free itunes bonus track (effectively a b-side). Why not release it as a standalone single, perhaps for charity or something? Oh well.

I loved Contraband but this album is weak. Let It Roll, She Mine and Just Sixteen (best song on the album) all rock, and Last Fight is a nice ballad. Can't Get It Out Of My Head is an odd cover but has grown on me and has some nice soloing. Other than that, SBQM, American Man and Grave Dancer have great solos in below average tracks. The secret track Don't Drop That Dime is a nice novelty. The rest of the album is weak. There is a couple of songs where no matter how many times I hear them, I can't remember Slash's solos or even the riffs, and that never happened before. In fairness to Scott, his chorus' stick in your head. He saved the likes of Mary, Mary, SBQM and For A Brother from being complete disasters. Overall, disappointing. Having said that, if they had put the three tracks i mentioned at the start on, could have been a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wow!!:eek: What a f**king beautiful song!!!! It almost made me cry - and not for the 9/11 sentiment, for my own personal reasons. Also, while looking at that, I came across another one of those music/fundraiser/politics thingies, and there was a bloody HORRENDOUS version of "Across The Universe".

Check it out, and get the sickbags ready - it sucks. It's on Youtube.

PS: Sorry, I don't know how to add a "link".:rolleyes:

EDIT: Here's the link!! http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=-TQAicLD0tY. Alicia Keys TOTALLY RUINS her part, as does Norah Jones.

HORRIBLE!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's pretty weak. There were a lot of promises of something new. Slash seems happy to be playing middle of the road stuff when he can clearly play amazing stuff when pushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I listened to it once, first impression: It's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

heard the first single from it and didnt think it was any good,dont think il be getting the album

Advertisement