Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anybody buying or selling points?

Options
  • 13-07-2007 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭

I'm going to become a tout and make a fortune :
    It is the latest ruse on the roads of France: drivers are avoiding disqualification by trading licence points on the internet.

Complete strangers are taking the rap for speeding offences in return for up to €1,500 (£1,000), and police admit they are powerless to intervene. Even pensioners who have not driven for many years are getting in on the act.

source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

€1500? Probably cheaper just to get a good laser jammer & radar detector.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I read in hte metro a while ago people in the UK were getting arrested and banned from driving for getting family members to take points for them. My french housemate was telling me about that is france apparently she saw them on French ebay for sale. Seems very easy to get caught, if the cops asked the person who was driving the car to bring in insurance?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Quite a lot of people in the UK have gotten done (some going to jail) for abusing the system in this manner.
    Also its possible that the police can try to sieze the details of those 'trading' on this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

rowanh wrote:
    Seems very easy to get caught

It is and it isn't. The article mentions spot checks and them finding it suspicious if some granny gets a ticket for doing 200kph at 5am near a nightclub, but the system is overwhelmed so most are just processed automatically. My insurance would cover me to drive someone else's car so if I said I was up in Dublin and said I took a car for a burn, how would the gardai prove otherwise?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Husbands frequently get their wives to take the rap and points in the UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement