Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermitant DSL Looping All Day

Options
  • 13-07-2007 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I wondered if anyone can help me as I have exhausted the options with BT Support.

About a week ago I lost my constant DSL connection. I have had BTBB for about a year no problems but last week it just dropped.

Now I can get a solid DSL light for about a minute then it drops, flashes for about 15 seconds and then goes solid for another minute. It just loops like this 24 hours a day.

I have done all the DSL test you can do at home. I have tried two different modems and fresh cables for every connection but the problem is still the same. I had BT check the line at the exchange and it came back clear of faults.

I am now at the point where they say I can either rewire my house or they will refund my money and close the BB account.

It just doesn't make sense to me how it can drop out of the blue with absolutely no change in my house and yet no one can find what the problem is.

Any advice or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers - Sub

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Something must have changed on your line.

Are you 100% sure that you haven't added any new equipment e.g. a Sky Digital box or anything like that ?

Also, make sure that you have microfilters installed between the line and any devices connected to it.

Try disconnecting everything else from the phone line and using your DSL modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

I already had a Sky HD box and Eircom Phonewatch system installed before i got BB a year ago and had no problems.

The fact that it's working in a loop is what is driving me crazy because it's a pattern fault that I should be able to isolate.

BT support said their were no other faults like this in my area.

I have tested 2 Netopia Modems and they have the same fault. I have put off getting another brand as I am not sure it's a hardware problem. Maybe I should bite the bullet and get a different brand DSL Modem.

Does anyone know how i could test my line at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I would not rush out to get a modem. Keep pressurising eircom and BT and make complaints and get in touch with ComReg. The story with these people is that they'll only take notice when you give them reason to, by being a niusance:d

And keep pushing for an engineer to come out to see the problem for himself. And even though ComReg is slagged a lot for their lack of purpose in existence, I have seen problems being solved when complaints are lodged there. I think RTE radio also at one stage forwarded complaints about eircom directly to the company itself, so you might want to find out if RTE could give you an email address to someone who can actually fix your problem.

There's lots that you can do yet.

Thanks for the reply.

What i have now been able to figure when i had DSL sync for long enough is that my SN Margin is bobbling around the 1 to 4 DB range which is what is causing the Sync to drop.

Seeing as this only happened in the last 2 weeks I guess it must mean that someone or something has done physical damage to the line.

As a BT customer is it possible to get Eircom to send a technician to the house and test the physical lone at all?

I can see a bun fight about to happen between myself and several companies trying to get them to come back out here and fix the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Lodge a complaint to BT and either forward the initial complaint to Comreg immediately or wait to see if BT do anything... and then email ComReg.

And ask BT to have a look at the connection logs (if they have any) and they would see the amount of disconnects. But making a formal complaint is the only way at this stage to get the problem fixed anytime soon.

If you complain to BT and ComReg, then whatever remedial works will be carried out, including any engineer visits I expect. BT and ComReg can sort out an engineer visit among themselves, once you pressurise them into doing something.

• Advertisement

OK I am still in the mire on this one.

If anyone has had a prblem with their SN Margin dropping from over 20 to below 5 I would llove to hear about it.

I am at an impass with BT now. They have been as helpful as they can but when Eircom test from the exchange it comes back as clear so that can't force the issue as technically Eircom are fullfilling their side of the bargin. Comreg have aid they can't really help as Broadband is not regulated in Ireland.

I had an Eircom Phonewatch technician come to the house and install a splitter. He also checked my phone sockets and confirmed that the internal wiring of the house is not the problem. He could not get DSL sync from the line coming into the house. My line attenuation is about 31 as i am pretty close to the exchange so I am totally stumped as to what the problem is.

I mean could it be as simple as all the rain we have had playing having with cable somewhere??

At this stage the frustration is with it all is very tiring indeed...

Advertisement