Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amd Athlon 64 X2 6000+

Options
  • 13-07-2007 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Is it possible to overclock an amd athlon 64 x2 6000+ ,
    and if so can someone tell me how to

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yes it can be overclcoked. You need a uprated cooler first of all. And a good airflow in your case.

Im not going to do a huge post on telling you how to overlcock, if you search these forms, or others on the net you will find tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Since the 6000+ is near the limits of K8 at 3GHz, you won't see any dramatic overclocks. Casual reading on the subject has pointed me to an average of 3.2GHz and a max of 3.4GHz with good watercooling, depending on chip of course.

Generally people buy the 6000 because they don't want to overclock and want great performance out of the bag. You can buy a 4400 for less and get it to 3GHz easily, but with AMD prices so low, you may as well opt for the top-o-the-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Can You Overclock this Graphics Card And How Would You Do That:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327296

Would I Need To get A Better Fan Than The One Supplied With The CPU itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

I had a card with one of these coolers (1900 XT)-its amazing:) . Quiet and cool - it should be fine with some overclock...
    And for overclocking try using ATI Catalyst Control Centre , there is a section-ATI Overdrive-run Automated Clock Config Utility . If you not happy with it results try manually set it up.
    Its simple and easy to use-good luck....

How Would You Get That Software and is it nesesary to overclock this card in order to play todays games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

It is by no means neccessisary at all to overclock that card to play todays games.That card is a very good card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It is by no means neccessisary at all to overclock that card to play todays games.That card is a very good card.

throw DiRT at it and then come back and say that :D DiRT brought my 8800 GTX to its knees at 1080p

So What you're saying is that it wont play DiRT at all or just at full res.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Dont mind l31mr0d He's just being pendantic. Yes it would play DiRT just not at high resolutions.

Would It Play Such Games As Company Of Heros And World In Conflict or Would They Be Too Demanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

are you going to do any reading at all for yourself or just wait for things to be handed to you on a platter? I'm not trying to be mean here, but if you want to overclock, it takes time/effort to even know what you're doing. then to do it. spoonfeeding doesnt happen in overclocking.

Here is a lovely tool which you should find handy.

here.
    coh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

:p god damn you i was like oooooh this is bound to be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

L31mr0d wrote:
    throw DiRT at it and then come back and say that :D DiRT brought my 8800 GTX to its knees at 1080p
    no problems here with 2x 8800gtx's , hehehe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

This thread reminds me of this: http://bash.org/?3936

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Cake Fiend wrote:
    lol.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cake Fiend wrote:
    Brilliant :D

Well i have finnaly done it...
    I have overclocked my cpu to 3.4Ghz with the stock cooler and i have idle temps of 27 degrees ..
    Beat that:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Screenies or else it didn't happen :p

Whats your max temp under full load?

Well here is the proof:Athlon-64-X2-6000-overclocked-3.4.JPG

and the temps under load are around 47-53 degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Wow! Now its almost as fast as a stock E2180

• Advertisement

well i wasnt going to start the war between Intel and AMD but if thats thats how u roll this is the wrong thread because we are discussing how much u can overclock a cpu here:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

its a common misconception that Intel is still better than AMD in regard to performance/euro value.

AMD is much better value for money... if you aren't overclocking. Once you start overclocking intel chips you close this difference and make buying intel worthwhile.

If you aren't overclocking you should go with AMD as you'll get more performance for your euro.

well i wasnt saying that we should start a debate on the best cpu company but ur point on the overclocking is correct it is alot easier to overclock an intel and when ur finished overclocking one it is better value than an AMD on the value/performance scale

Advertisement