Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Problem. Connects through router/not when directly plugged in

Options
  • 13-07-2007 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am with IBB in the Glasnevin area and its beginning to really annoy me. I connect through a Linksys54gs v 6 generally but sometimes i want to get better speeds so i try connecting straight to the connection and bypass the router. When i do this however i sometimes get the limited connectivity message and i cant do anything. If i try repairing it says an error with DDNS. Is that my side or theirs? I find ti strange since i can generally connect via the router (albeit with some resets now and then when it drops!) That is with my Laptop. When i try connecting it to my PC i lose connection also, even when i connect the router to the LAN of the PC everyone seems to lose connectivity after about 3 or 4 mins so i have to run my PC via the wireless which sucks!

Has anyone ever had such problems? Im thinking it may be time to change?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Bambaata wrote:

Has anyone ever had such problems? Im thinking it may be time to change?!

Reboot the IBB modem after plugging in the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Are you using Ripwave or Breeze?
    If you're using Breeze, you have to assign a fixed IP address to your PC. IBB should have the details for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

im on the 2mb breeze line. ill try that reboot thanks. i have assigned the settings

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

I've had this problem. I'm assuming you're speaking about Ripwave. I posted something on this a while back and someone from IBB PM'd me about it. My modem would only work with my D-Link router and not when connected directly to my PC. The modem binds itself to the most used MAC address. Dunno why it does this and even IBB support don't know much about it but it CAN be fixed. You need to tell IBB support that it is a known problem. The first level support don't know about it ( I spent 30 minutes repeating myself to the support guy who was trying to tell me it was a problem with my network card drivers) but the second level engineers do and can resolve it for you. It should only take a few minutes and a reset or two of you modem. Hope this helps...

Advertisement