Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remote controlling

Options
  • 13-07-2007 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

not sure if this is the place to post cause i mainly post in the hardware threads but i'll go for it and see if you guys can help.

We have a shadowing system in my workplace called SMS remote control and i think another employee is shadowing me cause they don't have to ask for permissions. Is there anyway of finding out what IP or workstation ID is remotely accessing my computer? It doesn't have to be specific to the SMS program so any advice will be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

What OS?

Most common ones will have a 'netstat' command - try a 'netstat -an' to get a list of listening ports on your machine, and anything connected to them. I'm sure there are plenty of GUI equivalents as well. Another option might be to run a packet sniffer, which would also enable you to log all access.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Cake Fiend wrote:
    What OS?

Most common ones will have a 'netstat' command - try a 'netstat -an' to get a list of listening ports on your machine, and anything connected to them. I'm sure there are plenty of GUI equivalents as well. Another option might be to run a packet sniffer, which would also enable you to log all access.

thats what i was looking for cause i can ping -a the ip to find out the workstation id is and then i know whos at it cause it wrecking my head i had to use regedit to disable the permissions on my computer so that it would have to prompt me to allow the user to shadow. The OS is XP, there is one ip i've checked and there's no workstation id related to, is there any idea of figuring out where its coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

requiem1 wrote:
    i can ping -a the ip to find out the workstation id

This will only work for Windows machines, and probably only unfirewalled ones. Rather than actively scanning the relevant IP for identification, I'd recommend you talk to the IT dept about it.

Advertisement