Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you turn over your machines?

• 13-07-2007 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

We have about 50 machines here in the office I'm working in and machines are only replaced when they become very slow and the user starts complaining. It's a pain for supporting and we want to roll out office 2007 aswell which is going to be nightmare given the setup.

Shouldn't they be turned over every three years or so though?
    How is this done in your organisation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

More or less every three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, give or take every 3 years. The Project leader here got a serious PC the other day for his office as well as a BIG-ASS widescreen monitor, bastard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Once a year or less here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Duggy747 wrote:
    Yea, give or take every 3 years. The Project leader here got a serious PC the other day for his office as well as a BIG-ASS widescreen monitor, bastard!!

A few of the lads in our office just got brand spanking new laptops and a second monitor. I want one. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Anti wrote:
    Once a year or less here.
    where you work if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Cremo wrote:
    where you work if you don't mind me asking?

M$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

One side of the building is still using Radio Shack TRS-80's (1* 10 inch floppy)and Admin Dept is using ZX-80's. The boss (lucky guy) uses a Sanyo MAC-555 (no hdd but 2 * 5 1/4 inch floppies).

OK - only joking !! We change every 2 or 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

The company I work for changes every 3 years on the dot , there is even a countdown for replacement , old machines are given to local schools and charities , minus the hard drives ,
    The company has a " No hard drive leaves here " policy , they are shredded ! I kid you not !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mathias wrote:
    The company has a " No hard drive leaves here " policy , they are shredded ! I kid you not !!

Any company that may have sensitive data on the hard drive would/should do the same or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

mathias wrote:
    The company I work for changes every 3 years on the dot , there is even a countdown for replacement , old machines are given to local schools and charities , minus the hard drives ,

In less than 2hrs you can overwrite your disk with random bit patterns which is approved by the US DoD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Any company that may have sensitive data on the hard drive would/should do the same or something similar.

Or would have something interesting to hide :D

Duggy747 wrote:
    Or would have something interesting to hide :D

It took me hours to download all that p0rn and I'll be damned if someone gets thier grubby little mits on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

We have 40 odd pcs, 10 of which are in a design office. The design team get upgraded every year, and their old machines are sent down to the next most (software) demanding dept, and so on down the chain.
    They last in our offices 4 years at most.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In an ideal world you'd swap the machines down every year from those for whom power is critical, to those who use the pc's all the time, to those who just need email and documents to the ones that are for people who just use a computer the odd time. As I keep telling saying, people can't type any faster than they could 20 years ago.

As for wiping - dban does the job, and you choose how many times you want to run it, but it won't overwrite bad sectors already swapped out by the hard drives' own controller so there may still be tiny bits of data accessible. Then again a no-disk policy should stop screw-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Office hardware is upgraded required but not in a stingy fashion. If something needs to be bought or upgraded then it happens.

A previous employer had a rather sluggish machine upgrade policy. After I left I decided that if I turned up to a job again to find that I'd be using a slow creaking PC with a crap monitor and outdated software I'd just turn around and walk out. I was doing software dev work and the amount of extra time I had to waste due to slow compiles (when it wasn't practical to distract myself) would have payed for a new PC and software every 18 months.

As for disposition. We keep the LCD's in use. We've got a small staff size so we keep the PC's as test boxes. All hard disks that might have any sensitive data are wiped with either dban or shred. The office hardware is the minor part of our disposition problem anyway...

Advertisement