Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coffee machine for a canteen, recommendations

Options
  • 13-07-2007 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

hi there, want to get some recommendations for a coffee machine for a canteen, only maybe 10-15 coffee drinkers at most. Presently we are subjected to the most hideous instant coffee. It comes from a tin with no label, i am sure it is dried soil. Afters years of this abuse have finally gotten the go ahead to buy a coffee machine. As you can imagine i want to buy the best machine but more importantly a good coffee maker. Based in Cork but don't think this should be too much of an issue. thanks for the help, yours in need of real coffee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Any idea of budget? What type of coffee drinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

think I could push them to around 500E to 1000E, but can always get more kit later on if the prices are mad, as it is a canteen maker would have to be versatile, has to be able to make espresso, and latte, would like to have a coffee grinder with it, something that can be used quickly by a few people, basically a whole solution to our desperate coffee needs.

would something like this be suitable??

http://www.ristrettocoffee.com/shop/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=25

this looks like the kiddie

http://www.ristrettocoffee.com/shop/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=61

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

ok real_484

The first link the Rancilio Silvia and Grinder will take a lot of knowledge to operate. Obviously it also has the potential to make by far and away the best coffee. But unless everyone who uses it knows how to grind, tamp, pull the shot, froth the milk etc, it will be useless.

The second link is a do it all machine at the push of a button. However, we recently had a user here who bought one of those and had a very bad experience.

I honestly think you'd be better off going for a nespresso machine. I would never never recommend this for a private individual as it takes away so much choice. But for a canteen, what you want is a consistent, easy to make drink with the minimum of fuss.

Something like the nespresso gemini...

n_cs220_1_xl1-thumb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

real_484 wrote:

Arrrggghhh, the nightmare returns. I had purchased the Titanium Plus, the 'improved' version of the Titanium and I can tell you that I didn't have one single good coffee from it. It's my opinion is was a faulty machine, but you might have better luck. For the same price in BT's you can get a Jura machine. I'd recommend BT's, good range and knowledge and you try before you buy!

Cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The problem with having decent coffee equipment is that firstly most people
    will not look after the equipment as required - they don't own it and
    really will not give a toss. Most machines will not appreciate the boiler running
    dry or clogged screens/water lines. I can also guarantee you'll have a filthy
    steam wand as no-one will clean it. Also as mentioned by RE*AC*TOR, most
    people will not have the skill to make a decent coffee without some level of
    training which is not really viable in an office environment. There is also the
    bean to cup machines, but I'm not a fan of them. We have several in the
    office here that cost €4500 each and at once a week at least one of them
    breaks down - they make decent coffee but if there was only one machine
    it'd be a mare due to down-time.

I'd go with a pod/capsule based system, removing the potential for users
    to muck it up, or I'd look at getting in decent filter coffee. If all you
    currently get is instant moving to something like Java Republic would be a
    blessing.

http://order.nespresso-pro.com/choose/?action=new_trial&lang=en

http://www.javarepublic.com/iopen24/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

I agree with RE*AC*TOR and Gran Hermano, stay away fromt the manual coffee machines. If there are 15 people in the office you want a bush button bean to cup machine. Maybe look a the Jura range, they are a company that only do bean to cup machines and seem to know what they are doing.

The Jura J5 is aimed at the small office market it costs about 1200/1300 if you could increase your budget I think it would be worth it.

http://www.gocoffee.co.uk/coffee-machines/jura-impressa-j5-matt-black-p-429.html?manufacturers_id=6&osCsid=20c2d6c6fdf578531c5d34202883c212

There is an Irish company selling them so servicing should be no problem.

If €1300 is out of your range maybe look at the C5.....works out at about €850-€900

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

thanks guys really good advice, love the whole grinding and brewing idea but have to agree with you about just pressing the button for your coffee in a office/canteen situation. will gets some quotes and fingers crossed will get the go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sodrisc

Ring Fabio at Impero Coffee - www.imperoshop.com 087 9820035

They are not affiliated with any particular brand and have a good selection of second hand and new machines. A friend of mine bought a machine off him and is delighted with it.

Advertisement