Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCB on two policies

Options
  • 13-07-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi

Just a quick question:
    I have my insurance with axa for my 1.4 astra for the last two years. Now I bought a second car that i want to insure(with QD) without selling the astra.
    My current policy(the one on the astra) expires at the end of the month and I want to move from axa to another insurer (haven't decide it yet which one).
    I would like to get the 2Yr NCB from axa and use it on my new car insured with QD. Is it possible to use the 2Yr NCB also with the astra to get a discount with another insurer?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Gabico wrote:
    Hi

Just a quick question:
    I have my insurance with axa for my 1.4 astra for the last two years. Now I bought a second car that i want to insure(with QD) without selling the astra.
    My current policy(the one on the astra) expires at the end of the month and I want to move from axa to another insurer (haven't decide it yet which one).
    I would like to get the 2Yr NCB from axa and use it on my new car insured with QD. Is it possible to use the 2Yr NCB also with the astra to get a discount with another insurer?

Thanks

You made hard work of getting that point across!! Your NCB is earned per car. If you want to transfer your bonus to the second car, you need to provide a letter to quinn stating the astra policy is cancelled. You cannot transfer the bonus if your astra policy is still live whether it be with AXA or a diff company.
    Why not ring AXA & ask will they give you an introdctory bonus for placing a second car with them.
    Is it just you driving or do you have named drivers on either car??

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gabico

Thanks Keith

Axa won't quote me on the new car (this is part of the reason I want to leave)cause it's too powerfull (2l 200hp fto). Btw I'm 27 if it makes any difference...
    My gf is the named driver on the astra. I was thinking to transfer the astra to her and she can make her own policy (she on a provisional but shes 27 as well, I dont want to cover her for the new car). The QD policy on the fto will cover me to drive the astra.
    When I rang QD to tell them about the NCB all they asked for was the Serial No on the NCB certificate which I'll get from axa on monday.
    I was thinking if at the end of the month when Ill get the new policy on the astra if the new insurer will only ask for the serial number why shouldn't I give him the same serial? Can they verify that Ive used the NCB already?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

Keith C wrote:
    You made hard work of getting that point across!! Your NCB is earned per car.

Simple solution:

Buy a pre 1987 car and get a limited milage policy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would get herself to insure the Astra, but you should also query how much it would cost to put her on the FTO as a named driver. Often it will actually cost less than it would if it was only you on the policy, crazy I know but it's something to do with the way the sysytems work out the quote. Even though she has a provisional & you have a full license, in the eyes of the insurance company you are actually a bigger liability (cos you're male!).
    The fact that she is named on the policy & therefore likely that she will be driving it (in the insurer's eyes) it means you are less likely to be driving it hence less of a risk.
    My better half has worked in insurance for the last decade & it always made a difference to have a woman named on the policy when she quoted.

BTW it is not possible to use one bonus for two cars, as another poster has said you start off at zero again for your second car. Unless of course the insurer gives you some sort of introductory bonus. Remember too that your NCB is made up of full years, so any partial year won't count. i.e. if you leave a policy early then you may not get the NCB for that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Your NCB is earned per car

For most thats technically correct but it's more correctly stated as "your no claims bonus is earned per policy". It is possible to have more than one car on a policy (in the UK anyway) and the bonus is earned per policy and can obviously be only used on one policy at a time.

I don't think that the insurance company would notice it being used on 2 policies at the same time when they issue the policy as I don't think the Republics insurance database is quite as state of the art as it should be, but I'll bet a pound to a thousand they will notice it if you ever have a claim and will refuse to pay out. It's most likely that they will notice it at renewal time too when both companies go to update the same NCB record, end result, they will both probably refuse to honour it, you lose your 2 years you have now and start with 2 cars from 0 bonus, and thats simply at best......

Don't try to fool them, you may as well not have any insurance as to try a scam like using the same bonus on 2 cars policies. Better to see if any of the Irish insurers will offer a multicar policy and put both cars on that covered by the 2 years bonus.
    it always made a difference to have a woman named on the policy when she quoted.
    TRUE true and true, my insurance quote was 15% (about £120) cheaper when we added a provisional, 28 year old, female driver to the policy, we had not intended adding her as we thought it would be dearer. Madness but thats the way it works.

EDIT: do southern companies do multi car quotes ? Different companies work them in different ways but the way ours works is 4 cars on the policy, but only 2 drivers, so basically only 2 cars can be legally driven on the road at any one time. We get 4 certs and 4 NCB's but when taking out the quote they took both the drivers personal NCB's into consideration. The quote reflects the insurance prices for the 2 highest risk cars plus a small extra bit for F+T on the other 2 meaning the 3rd and 4th cars are virtually free (about £40 a year F+T only). It's a small step to insuring the driver more than the car, but only half way there. In all honesty I am no more likely to prang one of our cars compared to any other as my driving style does not change but the cars range from 120bhp to near 300bhp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

OKenora wrote:
    For most thats technically correct but it's more correctly stated as "your no claims bonus is earned per policy". It is possible to have more than one car on a policy (in the UK anyway) and the bonus is earned per policy and can obviously be only used on one policy at a time.
    Not possible in Ireland as you need two discs as well and I don't think any company does this. I know I had to get two policies in the end.

Ok Heres an alternative.
    If your girlfriend is on your policy more then a year (& holds no insurance of her own) AXA may grant her an introductory bonus (depends if they recognise her provisional) for driving on your ins claims free.
    Best case scenario, your girlfriend gets a 1 year bonus in her name & takes the astra in her name (new policy), with you as named driver.
    You take your 2 yr bonus to Quinn & put your girlfriend as named driver.
    Therefore you have both cars insured & you both can driver either car.
    Hope that makes sense

OKenora wrote:

Nah mate, if you have 2 cars insured on one policy, a claim only affects the related vehicle. i.e car 1 bonus is reduced to 20%, car 2 bonus still remains at 50%

Thanks guys. I think ill go with Keith's advice. Get the NCB to the new car (its 50% off which is very good). And give the astra to the gf for a new policy / maybe with me as a named driver.
    Just another question? She was on my policy for more than one year as named driver. I don't think axa will give her a good quote but ill give it a go. How can she prove her NCB as named driver to another insurer? Can she request some kind of certificate from axa?
    I think I'll try to add her on the new policy as well but I doubt that it will go any lower.
    Thanks

Just ask AXA for a "letter of named driving experiance" for the GF, try a few websites as well as phoning to compare prices, as you'll have read for other people its defo worth taking time out to shop around.
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

blastman wrote:
    Not possible in Ireland as you need two discs as well and I don't think any company does this. I know I had to get two policies in the end.

well, I have 2 bikes on one policy, and got 2 x certs from AXA

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Why not leave Axa altogether and insure the 2 cars with Quinn seperately even. Quinn will recognise your girlfriends named driving as 1yrs Ncb, so let the gf insure the astra on her own with Quinn and then insure your Fto with Quinn yourself seperately. The 2 policies will be cheaper than any of the other robbing cnuts of companies.

Ps: If you ring Quinn Direct asking about insuring the 2cars on 1 policy in your name will you please post whatever they tell you here as im thinking of doing the same. They`re open till 7pm by the way, 1850771850 :D

Thanks for all your advice..
    I called few companies before buying the car about insuring 2 cars with 1 policy but none of them do that even with limited mileage..(Axa, QD, Allianz). Best I could do was 40E off for "second car insurance" from Allianz which is nothing (40E off from the quote on the second car) and they won't even insure the fto.
    I will leave AXA for sure .. The renewal quote came last week ~1200 (for the astra) for the next year after two years of being with them and they don't want to insure the FTO.. They didn't even allow me to temporary switch the insurance on the FTO to bring the car home. QD quoted me less than that for the FTO. Its crazy..
    I'll give QD a call on monday to get a quote for my gf on the astra and let you know what theyll say.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why don't you see how much it'll cost to put the GF down as main driver in the FTO? May be cheaper then you with 2 years NCB and you stick with the Astra on you're own. Don't forget to put each other down as named drivers on the policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Something to think about, I told eagle star about a similar situation and they said I could provide proof that I had a ncb used on another car they would give me the benefit of it price wise. I look forward to seeing after the year if they give me the new NCB with the extra years or just 1 year.

Just a quick update on this..

I ended up with one policy QD for the FTO with the 2yr NCB around 1k TPFT which is very good and one policy for the astra on my gf name with Hibernian (with me as named driver) Comp for around 900 (0 NCB) which can come down to 700 after she'll take the provisional ignition (or get the full license). QD didn't want to add her on my policy as shes only on a provisional.

When shopping around for her policy we went to FBD and got a quote of 3k !!! QD gave her a quote of 900 (but that was with 1yr named driver exp which I discovered she doesnt have) and Hibernian offered initially 1100 but when adding me as a named driver it went down to 900.

I red a lot of ad stuff about QD but as I discovered Axa are not very good either dispite their high premiums. First they didn't want to offer me a new quote for the FTO for the full year when i decided to buy one.
    When I called them the next day to temporary switch my policy to the FTO that I bought to bring it home they said ok after 30 mins on the phone and it will cost you 85E.
    I said ok. The next day I went to their office to collect the letter only to find out that they didnt have anything in their computers about my policy switch to bring the car home. I didn't recall who I was talking to on the phone and the girl at the office said they can't do the switch....After asking 2 managers the answer was the same no, we can't do it... That was when I decided to move from them. Called QD and got the insurance for the FTO for the full year cheaper than AXA for the 1.4 astra.
    Another thing: My gf got her pv license in june2006 so normally I added her
    to my policy. The renewal came at the end of july 2006. I just told them to go ahead with the insurance with the same details. I didnt check the policy for details when I got it. In august 2006 I red the policy carefully to see if I can drive other cars. I discovered that my gf was not on the policy as a named driver. I called axa right away and they added her. But because she wasn't on the policy from the start she cannot benefit now of the 1yr name driver exp discount and there is nothing I can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

has your policy with QD been completed yet?
    just be careful with FTO's and QD. 2 years ago i phone them about getting an FTO, they gave me a price and i started looking for one.
    i found a mivec engined one and though i better phone them back and see which model i had got the quote for.
    anyway after going through the all the details again, they told me that they DONT insure FTO's, any FTO's and the first quote was a mistake, thankfully i hadn't bought the car but i was really angry with the supervisor and she let slip that, because i was in the middle of my policy, even if i had bought the car they are still required by law to insure me on it, no mater what type of car it is (although they could charge me a fortune extra).

i put this info to good use last year when i bought a jap MR2 a week after renewing my policy, they dont insure them, but as my policy had already began, they had to. thankfully they didn't charge my policy anymore as the original policy was taken out on a similar 2ltr car.

Yes it is completed.. received the papers in the post and it says FTO GPX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

ctc_celtic wrote:
    has your policy with QD been completed yet?
    just be careful with FTO's and QD. 2 years ago i phone them about getting an FTO, they gave me a price and i started looking for one.
    i found a mivec engined one and though i better phone them back and see which model i had got the quote for.
    anyway after going through the all the details again, they told me that they DONT insure FTO's, any FTO's and the first quote was a mistake, thankfully i hadn't bought the car but i was really angry with the supervisor and she let slip that, because i was in the middle of my policy, even if i had bought the car they are still required by law to insure me on it, no mater what type of car it is (although they could charge me a fortune extra).

i put this info to good use last year when i bought a jap MR2 a week after renewing my policy, they dont insure them, but as my policy had already began, they had to. thankfully they didn't charge my policy anymore as the original policy was taken out on a similar 2ltr car.

This is a good point. If you change cars in the middle of policy, your insurer is obliged to cover you on it. It's not just QD, its the law, all insurance companies have to do it.

The people in the office/on the phone however, are trained to be clever about it. They wont quote u on it...they will refuse point blank, its only after you've told them that you have already bought the car that they will start playing ball. What alot of people do is ring up, say you've bought the car and need to drive it home, with a bit of banter they will tell u how much extra u need to pay....then ring back up an hour or two later and say there was a problem with the car and u want insurance back to old vehicle.

Can only do this once or twice before they cop on but its a way to gauge how much they're goin to charge.

I'm suprised you got a quote on an FTO with QD, i thought them and MR2's were no no's.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Keith C wrote:
    Nah mate, if you have 2 cars insured on one policy, a claim only affects the related vehicle. i.e car 1 bonus is reduced to 20%, car 2 bonus still remains at 50%

I'm afraid this is incorrect.

As stated previously the bonus relates to the policy and not the vehicle. It is also possible to obtain a multi vehicle policy. Axa doe this not only for Motor cycles but also for for classic cars with limited mileage.

In the event of a claim resulting in the stepping back of the bonus on such a policy it is irrelevant which vehicle was involved in the loss as the bonus relates to the policy and not the vehicle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement