Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted credit card received

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I keep getting those bloody credit card applications too. More worryingly, my sister does to, has for a few years, and just turned 18 in December. You can't have a credit card in your own name under the age of 18, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Recieving those applications isn't all that worrying. It just means your on a mailing list somewhere.

I'm pretty sure the small print on them tells you how to get off the list. I managed to get all my family off it, eventually about 2 years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Don't worry, you can't be stung for GSD as you never agreed to the card. It was unsolicited and frankly considered a big no-no by the Financial Regulator (especially with new customer protection code this July).

The terms & conditions on a credit card are by no means short, there is no way you'd missed this. Without agreeing to them how can you say you've agreed to the card? If they question this ask for a copy of the agreement that you've signed stating you're accept the card and all its T&Cs. Obviously they won't be able to. Just give MBNA an earful (politely) about unsolicited credit and that you want to have the card cancelled immediately (and get them to cover GSD if they have to but they won't) and to remove you from any mailing lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I signed up for one of the Ryanair gold cards while I was walking through Dublin Airport on the way to a Ryanair flight. The form is quite detailed and is very obviously an application form for a credit card. Why else would they need to know where you work and how much you earn.

The stand has pictures of both the gold and standard credit cards and MBNA is all over the form and stand.

Why should the financial regulator get involved when it was the original poster and not MBNA that was at fault ie the OP shouldn't be signing things if they aren't intelligent enough to understand what they are signing up for

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Drift wrote:
    How can they charge 40 euro if they have no account details from the OP?

They'll debit it to the card - then if you don't make the minimum payments they'll revoke the card & put your credit rating in the "Debt recovery" pile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement