Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No PS3 price cut - Im getting an Xbox360 - deals?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Unless you need HDMI or have a crush on the colour black, I'd buy tomorrow. Although it ends up more expensive, the HDD can always be upgraded if you find yourself downloading every single XBLA game ever, or DLing a lot of the video marketplace stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just buy it 2mro, do you really need the Elite?

Wicked Console. And to think I used to hate Xbox's. There really not that bad when you give them a chance, I always wanted the PS3 for years but it's just so delayed and drawn out, everything is taking way too long, by the time the ps3 gets awesome which I have absolutely no doubt that it will and become the best console out there eventually (1 - 2 years) you can just trade in the 360 for one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

quad_red wrote:
    mcgovern wrote:
    If you mean the one with the 65nm core, that has nothing to do with the failure rate and all to do with cost efficiencies.

Most commentators agree that the conversion to 65nm, with the reduction in heat that brings, will sort out most of the hardware failures and that MS's claims to have 'sorted out the 360's problems on an engineering level' refer to the future 65nm version.

It may well fix them, but its still not the reason they are bringing it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

mcgovern wrote:
    It may well fix them, but its still not the reason they are bringing it out.
    I'd guess its why they have not done a major hardware revision. Cheaper to wait and do one major redesign than two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Ok its done...I am now an Xbox360 fanboy

Impressions -

1. It's "loud" .... any tips or is this part of the magic

2. Sorry to start off with a negitive because my overall impression is "great". Bought the xtravision bundle on Saturday evening and am still playing - messing arround till now...( Yes v.little sleep) Gears of War...there goes being productive in work for the next while :)

3. Setup xlive and downloaded some demos - this whole online offering is very slick. And the arcade games are a great touch.. Is there a way to see more TV & Movie content... or is this still in the early days of development.

4. Love the controller - nice weight and balanced ( how nerdy am I )

5. Should have got a VGA connection because I am already using the componet for the ps2

Ok thats it for now... will be back with more impressions later - no regrets so far on not getting the PS3

Finally, is there a "tips & tricks" page that anyone one can recommend?

Thanks - Velcrow -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Velcrow wrote:
    5. Should have got a VGA connection because I am already using the componet for the ps2

Congrats on the purchase!

I'm just wondering whether you're only using the standard definition
    composite video connection as you mentioned it was what you used for the
    Ps2. The 360 will do both composite and component and many people
    mix up the two. Composite will not be HD

If your TV has VGA get the 360 lead for proper HD.

Thank - Gran

Am using the component ( 3 leads for video 2 for audio and am playing in 1080 ( I think ). Yes the tv has a vga connection. Is it better picture quality ( saying that the quality at the moment is amazing )

One more thing - Is there a boards/ irish "noob" Gears of War session that is available it would be nice to get some rounds in with a audience that would show you the ropes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Velcrow wrote:
    One more thing - Is there a boards/ irish "noob" Gears of War session that is available it would be nice to get some rounds in with a audience that would show you the ropes.....
    I'd be up for some of that myself. Haven't really dipped into it online yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Welcome to the family.
    R6 and Forza will blow you away!:D

tman wrote:
    I'd be up for some of that myself. Haven't really dipped into it online yet

I'm up for that...haven't played Gears since it came out and forget how to play it but will be up for it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Velcrow wrote:
    3. Is there a way to see more TV & Movie content... or is this still in the early days of development.

Currently the content you see is what you get for the Videos. However, MS has announced that it's bringing the proper Video Marketplace to Europe (starting with UK / Ireland, Germany and France) ... Probably to coincide with the Elite and the bigger Hard Drive. About the end of august.

You used to be able to use an 'American' Live account to view the US Video Content, but they eventually caught on to that and blocked out the content if you weren't in America.

Still, not long to wait now for the full deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭p.u.d.z.e.r.

cheesedude wrote:
    I'm up for that...haven't played Gears since it came out and forget how to play it but will be up for it...

Id be into that as well, im rubbish. Put up ur gamertag in the thread above.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Guys,

Just following this thread and am probably going to pick up the Xtravision 360 tonite. Can anyone tell me if there's a cable bundled with the Premium package to connect to a widescreen VGA monitor?

If not, any thoughts on where could I pick one up around Henry St (Dublin) at lunch?!

CHEERS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

No - the Premium only comes with a component cable (with a SCART adaptor).

- I'd say Game in the Ilac Centre or GameStop on Henry street might have the VGA gable. Failing that, try Smyths.

Thank for the reply Fingleberries.

Will stroll up town and see if I can't find the cable in one of those places. I forgot there was a Smyths around there too.

Nice one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

VGA cable was spotted in Virgin in Dundrum centre only last week.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    VGA cable was spotted in Virgin in Dundrum centre only last week.
    Duly noted!
    Will pop back and post any price and location later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Duly noted!
    Will pop back and post any price and location later.

IIRC, it was €30 for the official one and €20 for the unofficial.

In case anyone cares (!)

Got what seemed to be the last one of the VGA cables in GAME in the Ilac Centre - €29.99
    Out of stock in Gamestop, Smyths, and couldn't see one in the Argos catalogue.

All I need now is a good deal from my local Xtravision. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Play-Asia.com have the official MS VGA cable for approx €25 inc postage,
    delivery normally takes less than a week for the cheapest airmail envelope
    post.

Play.com have the same official VGA cable for €27.99 with free postage.
    They have a third-party cable for €15.49. (Depending on your TV, some
    people have noticed better results with the official cable).

• Advertisement

Have enjoyed being "Gun Fodder" for the pro's on xbox live - would be great to have some Boards people ( who are noobs :) or mercyfull ) to play a couple of games with - I can then enjoy the panic of blowing myself up with a grenade without embarrasment....

My xbox handle is "SimpleBee"

Yeah add me lads, my gametag is El Maestro10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'd be up for some GOW action (against people who don't play GOW for 10 hours a day and consider 94% of player 'noobs'.

My gamertag is QuadRedDead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

i could be on in an hour, only have it a month

ill add all of you, add me

eventSecurity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I went into gamestop with my 15 games and PS2 to do a trade in. The games came to a total trade-in value of something like €64. With games like We Love Katamari, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Guitar Hero 1+2 etc., I think I could easily get more than 64 if I sold them on boards.

Might go for Xtravision deal instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You'd definitely be able to sell those for more, those are great titles. Especially if you're selling GH1 or 2 with the guitar, I've seen posts from people looking for those before.

Or keep them! I'd hate to give up games like the ones you mentioned :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was all set to sell them today with the console, and zapped my memory card in preparation. Ico/Colossus don't really lend themselves to multiple playthroughs. I'd gotten as far as I could in the Guitar Hero games (expert is too bloody hard). I've played and finished Gradius V, Okami, Katamari, Klonoa 2 etc.

Nice bunch of rare (definitely collectable) games, so I think adverts.ie is my best bet. I'll put up an ad tonight. If anyone wants a PM when the ad goes up, let me know.

With a gamecube+games, and some PC games, I might have a complete blowout tonight to fund my 360 (yay.. back on topic!)

Will setup a game this evening - Can I set the game name to what I want ( christ, i know so little ) if I can I will call it something with "boards" in the string.

I still don't fully understand how the online gaming works - would it be better for me to send invites to your handles....

In short what the "best practice" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

i'm also up for some noob GOW online action...

have only played it a handful of times online when i got it on release day and haven't played since...

gamertag is under glass
    add me and we'll get some GOW action going on!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭unregd147

I'm up for GoW 2nyt too havent played it in months. Only ever played online twice and got destroyed!!
    Xbox live :
    iii Stevo iii

Advertisement