Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making recording smaller

• 13-07-2007 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I have just bought a Samsung VP-DC161 DVD Camcorder. I want to be able to record 5min(ish) clips of my playing guitar and put them on sites such as youtube. Problem is, I recorded a 5min clip and the size was over 200MB. The quality was perfect. I need a way of making a recording that comes to a much smaller size (maybe 10 or 20 MB). I don't think the camcorder has a way of recording at less quality/smaller size. Can any one tell me how to create recordings of this size. Is there editing software out there that decreases the size in MB? I put the recording onto my laptop and the
    file extension is .VS (I think, its weird anyway).

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers,
    Jeff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

hallelujah wrote:
    Hey all,
    I have just bought a Samsung VP-DC161 DVD Camcorder. I want to be able to record 5min(ish) clips of my playing guitar and put them on sites such as youtube. Problem is, I recorded a 5min clip and the size was over 200MB. The quality was perfect. I need a way of making a recording that comes to a much smaller size (maybe 10 or 20 MB). I don't think the camcorder has a way of recording at less quality/smaller size. Can any one tell me how to create recordings of this size. Is there editing software out there that decreases the size in MB? I put the recording onto my laptop and the
    file extension is .VS (I think, its weird anyway).

is it a .VOB by any chance?

Basically as your camcorder is recording to DVD, the file format is mpeg2. So your best bet would be to convert the file to an avi (divx/xvid/mpeg4). resize it to 320x240.

have a read of this
    Now it's more for final cut pro users, but will explain a bit about the best way of preparing videos for youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Get everyone to sit down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

I assume you have some sort of editing software on your computer. When your finished piece is ready for export, save it as an avi file and "compress" it with screen size set to 320x240. (note that if you have applied any kind of 16:9 effect, then size it to 320x160 to stop YouTube stretching it) YouTube also prefers audio in the MP3 format. Try DiVix for video compression. Its on most computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robs666

if you dont have final cut pro or adobe premiere try using windows movie maker, comes on xp as standard and definately does the job for youtube

Advertisement