Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pats v Spurs - what an eye-opener

• 13-07-2007 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Was at the game last night, what a dreadful match.

The "stadium" is nothing more than a shed, there was no atmosphere to speak of, the pats fans seemed to be pissed and were drunkenly shouting nonsense throughout the game, the facilities (toilets/food) were truly dreadful, the security and organisation was pathetic...I could go on.

I have seen the odd LOI match on tv, but if this is what the fans sit through every week, you can keep it.

You would have a better experience of football in the Norwegian second division.

And €20 for the ticket? I should have stood in the local field with the rest of the scangers, they had a better view.

What a shambles...embarrassing.

Chris Hughton should be ashamed to bring (half) the team to that load of crap.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The "stadium" is nothing more than a shed, there was no atmosphere to speak of, the pats fans seem to be the local rabble singing a modified version of 'the fields of athenry' and seem to know nothing about football, the facilities (toilets/food) were truly dreadful, the security and organisation was pathetic...I could go on.

I have seen the odd LOI match on tv, but if this is what the fans sit through every week, you can keep it.

You would have a better experience of football in the Norwegian second division.

And €20 for the ticket? I should have stood in the local field with the rest of the scangers, they had a better view.

What were you expecting? Old Trafford?

A lot of EL clubs do what they can with what they have. If all the fans had your attitude they'd be a lot worse off.

If your to tight to pay €20 to see a PL team dont go next time. I'd like to see how far your €20 would go if you were to see a PL team in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

I paid €26 to watch Real Madrid play Seville.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I paid €26 to watch Real Madrid play Seville.

Who siad anything about spanish teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

kearnsr wrote:
    What were you expecting? Old Trafford?

A lot of EL clubs do what they can with what they have. If all the fans had your attitude they'd be a lot worse off.

If your to tight to pay €20 to see a PL team dont go next time. I'd like to see how far your €20 would go if you were to see a PL team in England.

I agree....jesus OP thats not a very good attitude, the EL try very hard to better their facilities, the problem is lack of money, and if you and people of similar convictions wont pay €20 to see a match against a PL team then don't go....

Sorry for the rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The "stadium" is nothing more than a shed, there was no atmosphere to speak of, the pats fans seemed to be pissed and were drunkenly shouting nonsense throughout the game, the facilities (toilets/food) were truly dreadful, the security and organisation was pathetic...I could go on.

There was two teams playing in what you labelled a crap match. Only one of them was a LoI side.

Toilets and food at football were crap? Who cares? You must be too used to watching football in the pub or at home if that sort of stuff bothers you.

As for fans being drunk at football? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They were singing "your just a small club in London" and "you can shove your british football up your arse" Obviously you were offended by the songs being sung towards your local club.

I know thank god we wont play such a dire over rated team again this season, i mean 16 million for HIM!!!!

Thanks, could have been worse could have paid €35 for a stand ticket :O

I know only Robbie Keane stood out as a decent player, least he was up for it. junior Ronaldo Taarabt was laughable with his stepovers.

Im sure he is.

Jesus i have to wonder what did you expect? To see spurs blow the **** paddies away? Shocked that our keeper is a keeper and not some farmer dragged off his tractor to play? You dont get out of London much do you?

kdjac

I don't know why you're talking about the game itself...nothing to do with the crappy experience of Richmond Park itself.

It was a disgrace, everything about it was sh1te.

There was a group of about 20 scangers watching the entire game from a bloody field behind us ffs....it was an embarrassment.

Why anyone would go to watch football there is beyond me.

The joke was well and truly on the Spurs fans last night....never again!

I don't know why you're talking about the game itself...nothing to do with the crappy experience of Richmond Park itself.

It was a disgrace, everything about it was sh1te.

There was a group of about 20 scangers watching the entire game from a bloody field behind us ffs....it was an embarrassment.

Why anyone would go to watch football there is beyond me.

The joke was well and truly on the Spurs fans last night....never again!

Again what did you expect? Some hidden stadium with 50,000 seats in Inchicore with maids in french dresses bringing beer to your seat? Or marble lined toilets for a stadium that holds 4500. Oddly your the only person who i have heard complaining, some irish spurs fans bought tickets for the Longford game on sunday. :eek:

Would have expected more on the match itself seeing as the super turbo prem team showed the little paddies how to play football. But hey i know when my team is ****e i moan about the stadium and lack of french maids.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

You went to a friendly match, what else were you expecting?
    The "stadium" is nothing more than a shed
    True but despite Richmond Park not being beautiful on the eye it conforms to H&S standards, Pats passed their Premier Division license, Pats are hosting UEFA Cup games at Richmond. Richmond isn't my favourite ground by any means, but you painting an over exaggerated negative picture here. Anyway once the ground is safe does it really matter what the ground looks like since you're actually watching meant to be watching the action on the pitch?
    there was no atmosphere to speak of
    Friendly match. What type of atmosphere were you expecting? AFAIK lots of Pats fans didn't even bother going to the match.
    the pats fans seemed to be pissed and were drunkenly shouting nonsense throughout the game
    Seemed to be pissed but were drunkenly shouting? Ehhhh.....
    Whether they were drunk or not, shouting nonsense (again what type of nonsense?) at football matches is very common, it's part of going to football matches
    the facilities (toilets/food) were truly dreadful, the security and organisation was pathetic...I could go on.
    Again, what was particularly dreadful about them? Can you be a bit more descriptive? Were there incidences? Security/crowd control problems???
    I've not seen you describe anything substantial that could make anyone come to that conclusion.
    I'm not saying in any way facilities are fantastic for EL clubs BUT for some fans facilities is a peripheral issue in supporting their teams, the action on the pitch is far more important, that's not to say we would not like to attend matches in a better facilities but the reality is unless Irish football ''fans'' start putting in some effort by supporting their own domestic league irrespective of the facilities on offer then nothing is going to change in this respect, unless a few Russian millionaires land here soon!
    From experience of attending football matches in the Norwegian second division I presume?
    €20 isn't overly bad to see a Premiership club in action here in ireland even being a friendly, some tickets i believe were €30+ which is a bit much
    Can you please be more descriptive? I get the impression of an ignorant anti-EL anti-domestic game rant here without an ounce of substance.
    Yawn

Oh BTW I despise Pats and am happy to have a big moan about them anytime but you've got to be a bit more descriptive here if I am gonna have a good moan about Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

to a certain extent i agree with the OP - the drunken knackers you get at EL games is ridiculous and that has put me off more than the level of football - which is improving from what i have seen lately.

this aspect of the game wouldnt encourage families to go and thats one of the reasons english football has always done so well - even before TV - because of the strong family support.

• Advertisement

I don't know why you're talking about the game itself...

:D

Could have been worse. You could have been in Seville.

Zebra3 wrote:
    :D

Could have been worse. You could have been in Seville.

We spent 200k on our pitch and its amazing better than most snooker tables, noone notices that tho do they :(

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Call_me_al wrote:
    to a certain extent i agree with the OP - the drunken knackers you get at EL games is ridiculous and that has put me off more than the level of football - which is improving from what i have seen lately.

I go over to Leeds a lot and there is loads of drunken people (including myself :D ) at Leeds games as well as any other English match. If drunken people put you off going to a football match you're better off going to a tennis match or some other boring rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Call_me_al wrote:

this aspect of the game wouldnt encourage families to go and thats one of the reasons english football has always done so well - even before TV - because of the strong family support.
    Of course there's little drunken knackers infesting eL clubs, sure I'm delighted alot of them have f**ked off from Tolka Park this season despite the smaller gate receipts

BUT

1) you can ignore the little drunken knackers every easily
    or
    2) if you're with your family you can avoid the little knackers by sitting or standing in a different section of the ground because they usually all congregate together in the same part of the ground

They shouldn't be putting people off going to matches, unless they are committing assaults or something which rarely happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kearnsr wrote:

It was €35 for a stand ticket. Seeign as all PL grouns are all seater you cant compare a terrace ticket with a stand ticket. tickets for Liverpool are £30/32/34 its not that much more expensive.

KdjaCL wrote:
    We spent 200k on our pitch and its amazing better than most snooker tables, noone notices that tho do they :(

kdjac

Your going a bit far. It was in good nick, but no where near perfect.

Although my dad reckons there was a shocking slope on it when he used to play there, so at least some things change for the better.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Some people prefer live football with all the fun and crowds involved, others prefer the comfort of a televised game. Horses for courses.

Stekelly wrote:
    It was €35 for a stand ticket. Seeign as all PL grouns are all seater you cant compare a terrace ticket with a stand ticket. tickets for Liverpool are £30/32/34 its not that much more expensive.

An Aresnal ticket set me back £45 in Hibrury. It was behind on of the goals at the back. Thats what I was basing it on.

I've paid €12 for tickets in the San Siro and the Arena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kearnsr wrote:
    An Aresnal ticket set me back £45 in Hibrury. It was behind on of the goals at the back. Thats what I was basing it on.

I've paid €12 for tickets in the San Siro and the Arena.

You also have to factor in that it was a friendly , whereas going to a pl game is a commpetitive game, thats going to be worthe the price difference alone. Fact is they were pretty much charging top class prices last night.

Stekelly wrote:
    Although my dad reckons there was a shocking slope on it when he used to play there, so at least some things change for the better.:)

Was a drop of about five or six feet from one end to the other before the ground was redeveloped in the early 90s.

I'm pretty sure KdjaCL could post a pic of it here.

I've been to many, many matches...this wasn't my first! :rolleyes:

The pitch was in good shape, I'll give you that, but the whole thing was a shambles.

I brought 3 people with me and I felt thoroughly ashamed of the whole sorry affair.

Scangers everywhere.

Spurs fans have bought tickets to the next pats match my arse.

The eircom league would want to get it's act together - I doubt you'll be seeing any more visits from Premier League teams for many, many years.

• Advertisement

I've been to many, many matches...this wasn't my first! :rolleyes:

The pitch was in good shape, I'll give you that, but the whole thing was a shambles.

I brought 3 people with me and I felt thoroughly ashamed of the whole sorry affair.

Scangers everywhere.

Spurs fans have bought tickets to the next pats match my arse.

The eircom league would want to get it's act together - I doubt you'll be seeing any more visits from Premier League teams for many, many years.

so who is to blame for all this? The fans, the club or the league? Or is every one to blame?

What is the solution to the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stekelly wrote:
    Fact is they were pretty much charging top class prices last night.
    Supply and demand is a simple economic principle.

The more people there are who want an item (match ticket) the more the seller can demand they pay.

AFAIK it was a sell out, which suggests that three and a half thousand people had no problem paying the price.

As we know, the demand for people to see Premiership clubs in action in this country is HUGE, I can't see what the problem is tbh.

People should count themselves lucky it was Spurs and not Barbara Streisand Pats were playing last night.

Scangers everywhere.
    Eh, it was Inchicore. It was Pats.

What did you expect? A D4 Rugger crowd?

seansouth wrote:

I expected football fans

seansouth wrote:

And even at that all of Inchicore is full of scum. Normally there is a good decent ground there. I've never really seen anything serious there

I expected football fans

Is that a class above the scum or working class?

I expected people there to see a match, not see how many ticket-buying fans they could piss off

Never, ever again

They should shut the place down and put a big 'condemed' sign on the gate

I expected people there to see a match,
    As opposed to looking around the ground looking for things to complain about on the internet the next day?

Tell me this, have you complained to the club, or just us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I expected people there to see a match, not see how many ticket-buying fans they could piss off

Never, ever again

Are you English or Irish?

• Advertisement

Never, ever again

LOL

You really dont go to football matches do you? Spurs fans outnumbered pats 3 to 1 and i go to Pats games home and away and never had a problem, are you sure they werent Spurs fans???

kdjac

I've been to many, many matches throughout my many years.

Richmond Park is one utter dive and hopefully I will never have the misfortune to be there again.

I would discourage anyone who enjoys going to a match to avoid this dump and it's patrons.

No-mark scanger losers eveywhere.

No-mark scanger loser
    QFT about Kdjac :D

I've been to many, many matches throughout my many years.

Richmond Park is one utter dive and hopefully I will never have the misfortune to be there again.

I would discourage anyone who enjoys going to a match to avoid this dump and it's patrons.

No-mark scanger losers eveywhere.

LOL you are either insane or a bad troll, this was posted this morning, im guessing you missed it skangers in field NFSW not for fainthearted be warned they will keel you!!!!!

Next year we have barca.

kdjac

Ugh, the thoughts of it now - I've never seen so many ugly down-and-outs in one place.

Give me tolka park any day.

Ugh, the thoughts of it now - I've never seen so many ugly down-and-outs in one place.

Thats why i didnt go, cockneys and wannabe cockneys are minging.

kdjac

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:

Tell me this, have you complained to the club, or just us?

No point they too busy counting the mountain of cash.
    Was a drop of about five or six feet from one end to the other before the ground was redeveloped in the early 90s.

I'm pretty sure KdjaCL could post a pic of it here.

I have a pic here somewhere of it, not too bad now about 1 foot drop or so.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KdjaCL wrote:
    cockneys and wannabe cockneys are minging.

You weren't playing West Ham...

You weren't playing West Ham...

Theres a difference ? :D

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Theres a difference ? :D
    kdjac

Difficult to hear the Bow Bells from N17...

Difficult to hear the Bow Bells from N17...

Sorry im just assuming that everyone from London is the same, thought that was the point of this thread.

Arent they a band?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Trollicious.

OP,

Regarding the ticket prices, foreign clubs usually only come over if the Irish club foots the bil for their stay and in some cases they also want a cut of the gate.

As Spurs are a plc (which takes priority over being a football club), I'd say they are as much to blame for the ticket prices as Pat's.

Leeds didn't charge Shels a fee the previous week or look for expenses to be covered. Admission fee for the game? The usual €15.

IIRC, K****L said Spurs didn't look for a fee for last night.

We paid their insurance and nominal fee.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I have to say despite the fact that Richmond could do with some work, I enjoyed the game. Had a good laugh and thought the pitch did look in great shape.

I haven't been to too many pat's games lately (I'm sorry KdjaCL ;) )
    But I will go back again and more often now, hopefully some of the money from the game will go into a redevelopment fund for the stadium.

But that really doesn't have much to do with the fact that their is plenty of people out there that would splash €35 on a ticket for a friendly with a premiership team, imagine you could get some of that cash into the Irish game? we would have a few decent stadiums in no time.

Seats arrive monday for the new stand, planning goes in for the camac side at xmas, pitch needs to be moved up 20 metres before we can do anything with shed. When its fully complete in about 5 years it will be a 15,000 all seater.

Between players and the new stand the money we got last night rpetty much covers both.

kdjac

WexDec wrote: »
    Thanks for the bus/luas info. My mate picked me up in the end so was handy enough....once we eventually found the Hilton and avoided crashing into a lady driving out of the car park "entry" point !!! Never seen the likes of it before and she scuffed the side of the car backing back down then :eek:

The game wasn't great but I didn't expect it to be although a few goals would've been nice. I've never seen St. Pat's play before but have to admit they looked defensively solid although most of Spurs shots were straight at the keeper who did well particularly with the last minute point blank save. The new boy Gareth Bale seemed to be given some problems by ye, wasn't impressed with him at all.

In relation to some derogatory comments I've seen posted I thought the ground was nice and compact myself with the crowd on top of the pitch as it should be (and the quality of pitch was obviously good). I presume there's no need for massive capacity sure. Its well hidden away and have to admit we enjoyed having so many pubs around it and the cockneys were good craic. Think we went to every pub in the area, some twice and reckon the Black Lion must've got out the slops for the visitors. Its nice to have a ground in the middle of what felt like a village (which I mean in a good way, Wexford Youths myself so in terms of location and stands we'd be well jealous of ye !). We got freebies in the end and were in the flat standing area opposite the shed end. Obviously not best view in the world but didn't let too many people in there maybe those tickets were released late ? 25 euro face value but I know tickets were going outside the ground for 60 euro believe it or not.

That chipper van grub was pretty fcuking manky but again to be expected. Had a good night out anyway in a part of the city I wasn't familiar with and shockingly it was a lovely evening weather wise. BTW The Hilton is indeed very plush and decent value as these things go for 120 euro. Also gave me my banging headache today since I was drinking there till 3.

Good luck with your euro matches lads I'm actually tempted to pop along again.....but to a stand seat ;)

:eek:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Such a silly thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

i dont see whats so great about having facilities like what the OP wants,im a villa fan and a cork city fan.dont get me wrong i love going to villa park but its such a sanitised experience being at the ground,bossy stewards,overpriced food etc.as a result the atmosphere can be pretty ****e(then again the ground has been half empty for the past few years thanks to doug),its just like going to the cinema to be honest.

contrast with turners cross( i havent been this season yet to sample the new shed atmosphere)you can stand,its cramped,theirs kids running bout the place but if you have a cracking game the atmosphere is electric!thats what makes you want to watch live football!

with regards again the OP,its a pre season friendly,ive went to see prem teams play EL teams in these friendlys and whats the point it will be ****e gamw,spurs dont care so why should they make the effort?and pats dont care coz at the end of the day its the moneymen who fix the game,hockeying spurs is pointless if it means they'll be knackered for next EL game?

• Advertisement
Advertisement