Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat-minding for a year

Options
  • 13-07-2007 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hey friends of mine are leaving to do some charity work in africa for a year. They have a male cat and need someone to look after him for the year while they're gone. Is there services that do this or anyone know where i could look. location is galway city. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I live in Kerry and would do it only that I have two dogs that might eat it ;) Similar situation myself, want to head abroad for a few months but have no one to mind my dogs.

A cat should be easy to find a temporary home for though, since they are so self sufficient, just offer to pay for all food etc, and possibly get the person a nice present...

I'm going to try running a small classified in my local paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Self-sufficient my arse, you should meet my two :rolleyes:

cacio, have you try asking about long-term foster on the Pets Ireland forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

^^ I would advise against the petsireland forum as they are fairly staunch in their views and I'm pretty sure, they'll say you shouldn't leave the cat at all.... I posted there before and they made me feel like an animal abuser for wanting to get someone to mind my dogs for three months...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Haha. I got shafted that way - was supposed to "mind" my friend's two cats for three months - that was two years and 3 months ago...

So be careful...(ah well, I love my cats - but still, it can be a touch inconvenient at times...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

would advise against the petsireland forum as they are fairly staunch in their views and I'm pretty sure, they'll say you shouldn't leave the cat at all.... I posted there before and they made me feel like an animal abuser for wanting to get someone to mind my dogs for three months...

Well they shouldn't of made you feel that way but tbh that's an unfair blanket statement as there are plenty of genuine people on the board that wouldn't be like that.
    The only problem I see is that it can be hard to find someone to mind a pet for that lenght of time. I've had passed experienced of offering to mind pets like that and then the owners deceide to stay where they are or move somewhere else and then you are lumbered with trying to find a home yourself for the animal. Not saying you would do this it's just one of the concerns someone minding them would have.

Mabey a written agreement between you and the pet minder would help in that situation and also an indoor home so the cat doesn't go missing or get injured while you are away.

You could try the petsireland board or the irishanimals.ie one just make yourself clear in the post and put down that you want genuine answers only or for people to contact you directly. You can also ask the mods for the topic to be locked straight away so that people have to contact you directly rather than replying in the post.
    Also check out the temporary home yourself to make sure you are happy with it and be sure to come up with a definite payment each week for them and also that all vet bills are sent directly to you so that they don't say they have spent such and such without proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

cacio wrote:
    Hey friends of mine are leaving to do some charity work in africa for a year. They have a male cat and need someone to look after him for the year while they're gone. Is there services that do this or anyone know where i could look. location is galway city. Thanks
    If you're willing to pay for it then you can put them into a cattery. This is the closest one I got for you. Maybe you could get a deal
    http://www.petproducts.ie/kennelscatteries.htm#galway
    If you're moving house you'll have to be careful with him because he won't know his surroundings. Make sure you bring all his old stuff he's used to, to help him. And don't lose him outside! I'd say it'd be easier and better for the cat to get someone to pop in and out of theirs to feed it

My cat just had a litter of Burmese so I'm reading a lot about cats recently!

Advertisement