Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Settle a stupid drummer argument pls!!

• 13-07-2007 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

Two friends of mine have been arguing for months over who the better drummer is. They both drum, one vastly more experienced and better claims Jose Passillas is the daddy, the other lad, not so experienced worships at the alter of Jimmy Chamberlain.
    Neither will accept the other's opinion and when drunk it gets rather stupid and heated. When I opined that they were both pretty much equal and too dissimilar to compare I got shot down by both saying "what the hell would you know. Bloody guitarists, think they know everything" etc.
    :rolleyes:

Who is the better drummer? 38 votes

Jose Pasillas (incubus)
    0% 0 votes
    Jimmy Chamberlain (Smashing Pumpkins)
    10% 4 votes
    Both equal and very different
    50% 19 votes
    Both equally crap (yeah right)
    10% 4 votes
    [i]Atari Jaguar[/i]
    28% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Inform them that they're both wrong, and that Mike Portnoy is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Thwack both with yon Subjectivity Hammer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Inform them that they're both wrong, and that Mike Portnoy is the best.

I know Mike would kick both their asses together I just want to know which of the two is better. I've tried to get them to listen to Dream Theatre but they are not as open minded as the rest of us when it comes to this kind of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Alex Rodriguez.
    Pat McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

hmm i dunno...hard to say really about them...portnoy?...i think he's veryy good...but sometimes,,i feel he';s not as good or polished as he SHOULD be...hard to put a finger on it, just sometimes ive watched him on yutube etc and some of his solo outbursts for me seem veryyy amturish and just like some kid behind a kit in s music shop etc...,,just the feeling i have , i do like most of his stuff tho....but alas for him and the others..Neil Peart is stilll the best rock drummer around...1 attendance at any live RUSH show is all thats required to nail that argument :p ...
    Still its good that theres a good few imaginative exciting drummers coming through...am tired of mediocre performers who "keep it simple and tight ..maan!" grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

ciao' amigos....Baggio....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Cheers for the input, but as I said it's not a "Who's the best drummer in the world" thread, I just am interested in the two guys in the poll. Thanks again though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Chamberlin>Pasillas.

Peart>Portnoy:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Gene Hoglan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

love my chamberlain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Baggio plumps for Peart!?!

I didn't see that one coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Didnt see mike portnoy there earlier, i retract my vote and give it to him, that man is teh sex.

Edit - - - - - on drums of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Thomas Lang certainly wins, with Flo Mounier taking a close second. But between the mentioned drummers, nothing particularly noteworthy about them that would cause one to draw a distinction between. They're both profressional and tight, as would be required by two very popular bands. But that's about it. Portnoy's quite good though, he had a killer sound at Hellfest and he never missed a beat despite the complicated nature of his work. Absolute perfection. But Lang>all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Jimmy Chamberlin is one of the finest drummers around at the moment. Not only has he got impeccable technique, but he never, ever compromises the tune for the sake of some flashy drumming which I rate as one of the highest skills of all. I would rate him in the same league as Keith Moon, in the sense that the band he plays in lost such a huge amount of their sound, so much so that their drumming is a fundamental part of the song and when he wasn't there and SP songs just sound wrong without his playing

I wouldn't compare him to Portnoy, they both play drum kits, but their styles are very, very different. Chamberlin is a much more musical drummer, he's got a very jazzy style, Portnoy is fundamentally rock. Great drummers both but very, very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

In all fairness.

Keith Moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

how is there 2140 votes on this, is someone stuffing the ballot box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

neil peart....poll over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

Mike portnoy is god thats why 2117 people voted for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

Mike Portnoy is technically the best...

but i'd rather listen to Jimmy Chamberlain all day long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Mike Portnoy's awesomeness must've been too much for the poll. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

As i said before.. - i like portnoy no mistake he's goood..but pearts stuff wipes him out,,trawl back through all RUSH back cataloge and anyone with ears and an eye for pearts massive kits KNOWWWS who's "Le King!!" ... peart by a country mile...if ya see him live yu'll just knowww- its one man against a bunch of talented boys! ahhah, hey Langg i luuuv best clinic drummr around great fun, but in his MUSIC he rarely uses his trix...where as Peart uses ALLL his trix in his music and hey lets face it....thats where it counts! ;)

ciao' drum luving amigos...Baggio...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Uhm... Buddy Rich.

Between the OP's two drummers, although I've only heard some of Incubus' stuff I'd plump for the SP drummer. I like his style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 El Toro

In the poll, it has to be Chamberlin, the man is solid as a rock, and does just what needs to be done. His solo album puts the stamp on his brilliance. But outside the op; Buddy Rich, there's just no beating him...no, not even Peart!

Portnoy can play all the time sigs under the sun, but (in my opinion!:p ) just hasn't got the groove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

El Toro wrote:
    Portnoy can play all the time sigs under the sun, but (in my opinion!:p ) just hasn't got the groove.
    Well said!!

Buddy Rich is definitely the greatest who ever lived.

The poll options are rubbish

Advertisement