Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Reference Books

Options
  • 13-07-2007 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Hi, im in college studying java and I'm wondering could you guys recommend some good reference books?

I just want something I can look through and keep myself fresh until I go back in September.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Thinking in Java used to be good. Dunno how its aged though, its kinda aimed at the novice which you may not be.

Sounds to me like you need a project.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

deitel books are very good - well i found them good for c++ i'd assume they are the same standard for java.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Java-Program-Harvey-M-Deitel/dp/0132222205/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-3111059-9248644?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184342627&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Ive only done one year of Java so I would consider myself very much a novice still. thanks for the speedy replies btw :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Ive only done one year of Java so I would consider myself very much a novice still. thanks for the speedy replies btw :)

My three cents worth:

Head First Java is pretty good too. Some people find the Head First books great other find them too "gimmicky" as it is written in a casual "fun" style but is pretty effective. I wouldn't consider it a reference book per say but it is a good beginners guide to java. Examples are generally short code snippets which is a minus for me.

The Deitel Java series is very good also served me well through college, I have edition 4 it is at edition 7 now I think. It full of complete large examples so no matter what you have to do there is a good chance there will be something similar in one of the chapters. It is a slightly more time consuming read (1200+ pages).

Thinking in java is the least novice friendly of the three but also a good book nonetheless. Also I think some of the older editions can be downloaded free which is a nice bonus, java hasn't changed so much in the intervening years as to render the earlier editions obsolete.

Depends on what you are looking for, but can't go wrong with either of the above three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I just want something I can look through and keep myself fresh until I go back in September.

As mentioned by previous posters I'd reccomend the Deitel & Deitel book, it's served me pretty well through college. I've also had a loan of Thinking in Java and found it pretty good. But as has been mentioned the D&D book is pretty indepth and you'll probably find anything you're looking for in there.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
Advertisement