Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Subscription TV are you paying for this season?

• 13-07-2007 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭

A question for football subscribers, who is going to pay the extra €18 per month for Setanta? The EU in its infinite wisdom tried to make things easier for the consumer by splitting the packages but in the end made things worse. A full subscription costs €66(including movies for the missus) add in an extra €18 for Setanta makes the total €84 per month or €756 for the season (9 months).
    The reasons for asking are:
    When will the armchair fan say enough is enough.
    If people don't pay for Setanta will we have an ITV digital situation where Setanta can't pay the clubs who have already spent the money.
    Personally I will find it hard to justify the extra €18 per month as will others.

Which Subscription Tv are you going to pay for this season 39 votes

Sky only
    0% 0 votes
    Setanta only
    38% 15 votes
    Both
    7% 3 votes
    Neither
    53% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The problem is, you can always justify it, cause if you don't watch the matches at home, you'll watch them in the pub, which will cost more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Setanta only for me, mate has sky, we will watch in each others house. I pay a tenner a month, he has already got sky think it is about 15 but I will get LFC tv ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bah the bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

Setanta only for me, mate has sky, we will watch in each others house. I pay a tenner a month, he has already got sky think it is about 15 but I will get LFC tv ;)

Good idea.

Am I right in thinking Sky have got rid of prem-plus this season and are showing many more games as a result, or did I just make that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

A Liverpool fan here. I'm on the full Sky package, with HD. €81. Then Setanta manage to get their hands on a bucket load of Liverpool games and the Liverpool FC channel. What's a man to do eh? It's never ending. Very clever people we are dealing with here.. apart from the EU fools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Neither.

SopCast and PPLive ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Both

kdjac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Isnt Setanta FTA on NTL Digital and cable? Or are they charging for PL games now?

I dont care. I'll be wathcing my football on Bravo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

kearnsr wrote:
    Isnt Setanta FTA on NTL Digital and cable? Or are they charging for PL games now?

The vast majority of games will be on the Setanta channels you need to pay extra for. Only 12 games will be on Setanta Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'll be getting Setanta + Sky so I can watch the vast majority of games live. I don't know about yea, but the last place I want to be on a Sunday morning/afternoon is in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I have both Sky and Setanta too although I mainly got Setanta for the AFL so their 79 Prem games are a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Am I right that on NTL you can subscribe to Setanta on a month by month basis? ie not a contract (beyond being on NTL Go Digital package already?).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sky-for La liga.

Any other football they show is an added bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yes, Setanta ae on a month by month job, you are not subscribed for a year. I am going to use it for the 8 months, then cancel it for the 4 months off season.

Cheap ass :eek:
    seansouth wrote:
    Neither.

SopCast and PPLive ftw.

Cheap ass x 2 :eek:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

both, setanta have most of the Rugby world cup too,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I've always had Setanta for the SPL. At the end of the day, the price of Setanta is the difference between 6 pints and 7 pints on a Saturday night. That's my justification anyway. :D

I think Setanta show as many live football games as there is days in the year. Then obviously there's plenty of other sports and highlight shows and whatever. I just can't agree with those that think Setanta is too expensive. It doesn't come close to Sky for the quality of it's productions though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

siochain wrote:

yeah, but that's on terrestrial too.

I'll be getting setanta on top of sky, i always get ppv so it's not too much extra with the saving on that. I may dump movies though or do the threatening to at least to get some money off for a while...

I miss my golf and am a pool fan, so it seems worth it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

sky for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

siochain wrote:

All of which is free on ITV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

Yeah, we aren't all Nouveau Riche on the back of Premier League dirty money. :p

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

whereabouts can i get some of this cheap ass you speak of?

just did the online thing but had to put in a fake phone number as my sky box isn't connected to a phone line, anyone else done this and will it be ok? got this anyway:

You have successfully subscribed
    Many Thanks for subscribing to the Setanta Sports pack, your signal will be with you within the next 15 minutes. Please note that this can take up to 1 hour at peak times.

Enjoy your viewing.

Web Tracking Code: ****************

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Was looking at the fixtures that Sky and Setanta plan to show for the first 4 months of the season and Setanta clearly are left with scraps with Sky eating up all the massive matches with their first picks. €18 per month on top of a Sky Sports subscription? Not worth it IMO, I already have Setanta Ireland on the NTL platform and I'm very happy with that as it has eircom league and setanta cup football on it.

The amount of live English football on the TV is horribly saturated. About 6/7 years ago when the amount of matches on was reasonably controlled I had more interest in watching the Fulham vs Middlesbrough type matches of this world but now with hundreds of matches on the box all the time wherever you look it's like being force fed crates of chocolate bars until you eventually throw up your load! Too much to take. I barely watch 25% of Sky's premiership, champions league and la liga matches, dunno how the hell I could have time watching an extra 70 odd matches :eek:

Jeez I'm talking like i pay the bloody Sky Sports subscription when it's my aul' fella doing the dirty deed!

seansouth wrote:
    Yeah, we aren't all Nouveau Riche on the back of Premier League dirty money. :p

I have a tv i like to it all filled with football not some small corner off it, hence i pay.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ive both. Had both since Setanta started and now that Liverpool TV is coming on board there's even more reason for me to keep it. Their rights acquisitions of other sports is impressive too - especially the boxing. I see they have signed up Warren's fighters now. Plenty of GAA on it too. From 2008-09 they'll have FA Cup with ITV and England Internationals. As eirebhoy said their production and general presentation leaves room for improvement but I'm sure they will.
    kearnsr wrote:
    I dont care. I'll be wathcing my football on Bravo
    What will they be showing next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Have had Sky for years. Start of this year, my dad got Setanta for the golf. Fat lot of good that did him, as myself and my brother just end up watching NASN the whole time. so its not as if we're adding a subscription now just for the football, but have both anyway. Doubt I'd watch much on either, unless I'm very bored.

copacetic wrote:
    just did the online thing but had to put in a fake phone number as my sky box isn't connected to a phone line, anyone else done this and will it be ok? got this anyway:

You have successfully subscribed
    Many Thanks for subscribing to the Setanta Sports pack, your signal will be with you within the next 15 minutes. Please note that this can take up to 1 hour at peak times.

Enjoy your viewing.

Web Tracking Code: ****************

well it came through anyway. not much on at this time though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Was looking at the fixtures that Sky and Setanta plan to show for the first 4 months of the season and Setanta clearly are left with scraps with Sky eating up all the massive matches with their first picks. €18 per month on top of a Sky Sports subscription? Not worth it IMO, I already have Setanta Ireland on the NTL platform and I'm very happy with that as it has eircom league and setanta cup football on it.

The amount of live English football on the TV is horribly saturated. About 6/7 years ago when the amount of matches on was reasonably controlled I had more interest in watching the Fulham vs Middlesbrough type matches of this world but now with hundreds of matches on the box all the time wherever you look it's like being force fed crates of chocolate bars until you eventually throw up your load! Too much to take. I barely watch 25% of Sky's premiership, champions league and la liga matches, dunno how the hell I could have time watching an extra 70 odd matches :eek:

Jeez I'm talking like i pay the bloody Sky Sports subscription when it's my aul' fella doing the dirty deed!

It's just trying to accomodate more sets of fans. If you aren't a fan of the big four, this increase is really great in terms of how many games you get to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Here in the states the season just gone i had both Fox soccer channel and setanta USA.

On a saturday i had the choice of up to 5 live league games, got setanta mostly because they showed every liverpool game from christmas onwards.
    Its a shame they dont show any GAA or LOI so i cancelled the service for the summer.

All this for $26 a month for both. But give me sky sports over FSC any day. Comapring FSC to sky sports is like compared a Lada to a porsche. The coverage is ok but their adverts are crap and they do not do any proper game analysis lke they do on sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

I have Sky already and I just subscribed to Setanta right now. I'll most likely cancel the odd month when there aren't games that I want to see, although I'll have to see how LFC TV pans out too. Their billing date is the 15th of each month and you have to give them 30 days notice if you want to cancel a month. You also have to take on the subscription for a minimum of one month, so I'll most likely pay it for the next two months (i.e. the start of the season) and see how it goes after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Setanta only for me

The great thing about Setanta is you do not need to subscribe to Sky Digital to get it (over here in the UK at any rate)!!

Brilliant choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Might be getting digital so I think I'll go for Setanta as that's got LFCtv. On the NTL site it says Setanta Premium is €10.00 a month, is that out of date?

If I don't get digital, it's MoTD and The Premiership for me.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Yeah, its only €10pm on NTL Digital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

That's pretty sweet. Might go for that and get multi-room viewing. That way I can watch the footie in my room and let the mother watch whatever it is she watches in the sitting room.

Advertisement