Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home inurance query

Options
  • 13-07-2007 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

hi - i have built a small private recording studio in my house and am wondering about insurance for it

in light of the fact that if i tell the insurance company i have a recording studio they will likely get a bit scared and quote me over the top for it, i have decided that i am prepared to risk not having proper insurance on the actual room itself ( there is acoustic treatment and soundproofing worth a couple of grand ) and just insure the actual equipment which is worth a good bit more. I dont see that there is anything actually wrong with this. ( i mean for example, if i had hired an artist to paint masterpieces directly onto the walls of my sitting room then it's my own business if i want it insured and my own lookout if it gets destroyed -- am i correct ? surely .. :) )

i then planed to phone the insurance company and get this new musical equipment covered.

the studio will not be used commercially (ie we will not be renting it out to others), but we will be releasing the material and declaring any profits to the taxman, and i just noticed something in the material from the insurance company saying that contents used in conjunction with business are not covered - now i presume that they are taking this line to protect themselves against me having thousands of euro worth of business stock being stolen or destroyed and them having to cover it. however in my case firstly i will not have "customers" property in the studio as there are no "customers" and secondly i will not have any stock lying around; the actual equiment i will have is more like personal equipment really . The example i was thinking of was that if someone was to give french lessons in their home and were to use the family tv and dvd to show a french program then is the tv not covered? surely it is ? and in my case how would anyone know the difference ???? and should i care ?

i raise all these questions not because i am trying to con the system or be a cheapskate but because i dont want to fall victim to it if there is a better way to do things

any advice - thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So what happens when the insurance company sends an assessor around after something happens and finds something completely different from what's insured..?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

BuffyBot wrote:
    So what happens when the insurance company sends an assessor around after something happens and finds something completely different from what's insured..?

what do you mean ? - everything would be insured; the only thing not insured could almost be categorized as expensive wallpaper.

For example - if i open a restaurant and take out insurance on the property, i would also want to cover the contents, ( tills, stereo, kitchen,tables etc ) - but surely i have a choice as to whether or not i also insure a 5 grand interior decor job or something like that ?

Advertisement