Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rezoning for new Gaelscoil in Mayfield refused

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Share the Tank Field

evilivor wrote: »
    I just object to Irish language fascists who use a dying language as a tool to implement a sort of social apartheid. I care not for a field.

I hope the current government have the courage of their convictions to remove the enforced teaching of Irish – it’s one of the reasons I voted for them. In fact, I wish they would go further and have a referendum on the removal of Irish as an official language for this state - the other official language is perfectly adequate. This ludicrous translation of official documents is a luxury we can ill afford. Those who wish to educate themselves and their children in Irish will be unaffected – it’ll be just another foreign language in schools – maybe standards will improve.

We should market ourselves world wide as one of the best countries in the world for English and target the huge numbers of people who want to be educated in English particularly at tertiary level – we need to utilise our resources not cling on to relics.

Wow, that was a rant, I dont think I've met any Irish language fascists, what colour shirt do they wear? Do they all have red hair and freckles too?

I actually agree with you on the translation of official documents, it is a waste of money but I think to remove Irish as our joint official language would be terrible.

I dont know what happened to my last post, it was submitted before I had a chance to finish it! Anyway, what I was trying to ask is what does your rant have to do with the Tank Field? Gaelscoileanna will still be there and numbers might increase. How would you cope then if planning had to go in for a 32 room school on the tank field?

cork45 wrote: »
    I have to say I have the complete opposite view to you.
    I think all primary and secondary education should be taught in Irish.
    We should be proud of it not calling it a relic.

As for "Irish language fascists" all I can say is that's a very ignorant view that people have.
    There's nothing wrong with opposing the school on the tank field, but for god's sake don't oppose it because it's a gaelscoil.

Well said, even if you are against development on the TF.

Regarding the City Manager's comments the other night: He said that locals will be given access, the pitch will be fenced but there will be a perimeter walkway, and to be honest, I was struggling to hear him from where I was sitting so I didnt hear exactly what he said about Dillons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Well said, even if you are against development on the TF.

Once the local people have access and use of the field I don't object, if the field were to be split up between the club and the school with nothing left for the locals then I'd object.
    I guess my opinion has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 amoppet

residents were never consulted when the GS moved into Brian Dillon's carpark way back when,
    they were never consulted when the GS decided to stay on for an extra few years instead of building in Tinkers Cross,
    they were never consulted when the Council decided to take ownership of the Tank Field,
    they were never consulted when a 'deal' was made between Brian Dillon's and the GS to try and get planning on the Field to build a permanent structure for the school and for Brian Dillons to take the rest of the green area under lease from the council thereby having the authority to fence off the Tank Field and allowing it to be lost forever to all the people who use it....and no matter what anyone says it is used a LOT!

if residents had been asked/consulted they would have made their position quite clear, but as with these things all the plans were well in motion before residents were even aware the Tank Field was under serious threat.

seriously beggars belief that anyone could think the residents are being "unreasonable".

Residents objection isn't anti-school it is anti-development of our valued green space, why is that so hard to understand??

democratic process last Monday night should be respected by all now and the Gael Scoil/Dept of Education should put their efforts to better use and investigate the other possible sites.

anyone genuinely interested http://www.tankfield.ie/ has lots of background.

• Advertisement

amoppet wrote: »
    residents were never consulted when the GS moved into Brian Dillon's carpark way back when,
    they were never consulted when the GS decided to stay on for an extra few years instead of building in Tinkers Cross,
    they were never consulted when the Council decided to take ownership of the Tank Field,
    they were never consulted when a 'deal' was made between Brian Dillon's and the GS to try and get planning on the Field to build a permanent structure for the school and for Brian Dillons to take the rest of the green area under lease from the council thereby having the authority to fence off the Tank Field and allowing it to be lost forever to all the people who use it....and no matter what anyone says it is used a LOT!

if residents had been asked/consulted they would have made their position quite clear, but as with these things all the plans were well in motion before residents were even aware the Tank Field was under serious threat.

seriously beggars belief that anyone could think the residents are being "unreasonable".

Residents objection isn't anti-school it is anti-development of our valued green space, why is that so hard to understand??

democratic process last Monday night should be respected by all now and the Gael Scoil/Dept of Education should put their efforts to better use and investigate the other possible sites.

anyone genuinely interested http://www.tankfield.ie/ has lots of background.

Dear Oh Dear, Who called the residents "unreasonable" ? That's very unfair! Only a small few of them are being "unreasonable", some other residents are "mortified" at the carry on of the "unreasonable" ones.

If the residents are not anti-school, why are they constantly trying to insult the school, parents and supporters? Why dont we wait and see how the democratic process will unfold. It was just a vote on Monday night and means nothing really (and yes I would say that if the vote had gone the other way).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 amoppet

Dear Oh Dear, Who called the residents "unreasonable" ? That's very unfair! Only a small few of them are being "unreasonable", some other residents are "mortified" at the carry on of the "unreasonable" ones.

If the residents are not anti-school, why are they constantly trying to insult the school, parents and supporters? Why dont we wait and see how the democratic process will unfold. It was just a vote on Monday night and means nothing really (and yes I would say that if the vote had gone the other way).

residents have held their heads high and continued with dignity throughout this sorry saga and all the mud being slung at them and their area. if any fair minded individuals would like to read some actual 'facts' and documents released under the FOI Act relating to this matter please view www.tankfield.ie . this is my last comment on this thread, i'm not into slanging matches and it seems to me that no viewpoint other than yours is acceptable here, i just wanted to state some facts to give some balance for those unfamiliar, i'm done now so you may continue your crusade. thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

professore wrote: »
    I don't see any evidence of this to be honest. This is not the case with the school in any event. All are welcome. All church involvement and religious instruction in schools should be scrapped too as that is a much more powerful form of apartheid. Would you as a devout Christian send your kids to a school with pictures of Mohammed in every classroom or vice versa?

Pictures of Mohammad are forbidden in Islam as it is not as idolatrous religion.

How secular can an Irish language school be? How does one say "hello" in Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

One feature of the pro development lobby that's struck me is just poorly handled they've handled the PR side of things. I remember seeing a headline on the front of the Echo just a few weeks back that was something to the effect of "We're not racists or snobs". If you find yourself in that situation where you have deny such things you're completely fcuked.

Anything I ever hear about the campaign - from a broad cross section of corkonians, albeit nearly all southsiders - is largely negative, the little interest or support that's evident in this very thread is telling in itself. I shouldn't be surprised though when a supposed supporter of the school decides that the incredibly disingenuous (and transparently so) name of Share the Tankfield is a good idea.

amoppet wrote: »
    residents have held their heads high and continued with dignity throughout this sorry saga and all the mud being slung at them and their area. if any fair minded individuals would like to read some actual 'facts' and documents released under the FOI Act relating to this matter please view www.tankfield.ie . this is my last comment on this thread, i'm not into slanging matches and it seems to me that no viewpoint other than yours is acceptable here, i just wanted to state some facts to give some balance for those unfamiliar, i'm done now so you may continue your crusade. thank you.

I'm not into slanging matches either, and if I offended you, I apologise.

• Advertisement

One feature of the pro development lobby that's struck me is just poorly handled they've handled the PR side of things. I remember seeing a headline on the front of the Echo just a few weeks back that was something to the effect of "We're not racists or snobs". If you find yourself in that situation where you have deny such things you're completely fcuked.

Anything I ever hear about the campaign - from a broad cross section of corkonians, albeit nearly all southsiders - is largely negative, the little interest or support that's evident in this very thread is telling in itself. I shouldn't be surprised though when a supposed supporter of the school decides that the incredibly disingenuous (and transparently so) name of Share the Tankfield is a good idea.

Could you explain please what you mean by a supposed supporter? I think my name is perfectly self-explanatory.

Could you explain please what you mean by a supposed supporter? I think my name is perfectly self-explanatory.

Speaking of names, a poster with the same name as a frequent contributor to this thread, made a pretty vile and disgusting post on another Cork city board this weekend:

from that other board:
    I suppose you have somewhere for the kids to go that they can actually go to - not shove them in to some other school unannounced at a moment's notice? Or do you advocate the solution that the gentleman in Norway came up with over the weekend?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

In response to my post on the "other forum" ....
    The prefabs should be closed down immediately and removed,
    and let these innocent children get their education in peace and comfort instesd of being stubborn ASSHOLES and keeping the kids in a **** hole

hopefully someone from health and safety will inspect the school and bloody condemn and shut down the place for the safety and well being of the INNOCENT KIDS as the parents enrolling them obviously couldn't give a toss.
    I just object to Irish language fascists who use a dying language as a tool to implement a sort of social apartheid. I care not for a field.

To be fair with comments like this it is only a small step to more radical comments - I was simply pointing this out.

When people start to deny the right to educate children in an extremely popular and excellent school then you have to start asking these kinds of questions.

The fact that there is now planning given for a second storey of prefabs on top of the existing ones, which by the way are vehemently opposed by the local residents, really shows how far this has descended.

Could make for a great book ;)

It would make a better play!

The reason for that is that it is an accusation constantly thrown at the school supporters. An unfortunate comment nonetheless.

This is because the Tank Field supporters have been going around to local schools in the area talking to the schoolkids saying things like their schools would no longer be able to play on the Tank Field if the school development went ahead, and that the whole Tank Field was under threat. I know this because my 9 year old neighbour told my daughter this in front of me and she didn't pick it up off the ground. In fact that's when I started this thread and got really interested in this whole mess.

In response to my post on the "other forum" ....

To be fair with comments like this it is only a small step to more radical comments - I was simply pointing this out.

You were comparing the teaching of a minority language to the slaughter of innocent children - grow some perspective - it was a sick, disgusting comment and an insult to those parents who have suffered some genuine loss as opposed to some minor grievance.

cork45 wrote: »
    Once the local people have access and use of the field I don't object, if the field were to be split up between the club and the school with nothing left for the locals then I'd object.
    I guess my opinion has changed.

cork45 you are probably the only poster who is a neutral in this debate on this thread. I would agree with you there. Even as a pro-school supporter, whilst I don't live on the immediate perimeter of the Tank Field, I live within a 15 minute walk of it, and in fact walked to it had a picnic there recently with my family. I still think everyone should have full access to the fields after the development is finished, and if the planning says otherwise it is wrong. As far as I know there are no provisions to exclude anyone from access - though I am open to correction.

I have also stated many times I have no religious attachment to the Tank Field site, and the only reason I support it now is because it takes SO LONG to get anywhere with planning it will be several years before an alternative is found.

What you must see is that the "pro" Tank Field lobby (or at least any on here) will take quotes out of context and will not respond to anything that shows they were incorrect in any way, and try to paint the parents as evil, whereas I at least am happy to admit if I say something wrong.

You were comparing the teaching of a minority language to the slaughter of innocent children - grow some perspective - it was a sick, disgusting comment and an insult to those parents who have suffered some genuine loss as opposed to some minor grievance.

In case you haven't noticed, this thread is not about the teaching of a minority language.

I was comparing people talking of "clearing the prefabs" and the "prefabs should be torn down" to similar language used about Jewish ghettos during the Nazi occupation of Eastern Europe in World War 2. I was very shocked and offended by this language - it is the same kind of language that fascists use everywhere.

And as for genuine loss, I know all about it, and those parents would recognise the need for a school and would recognise the language used for what it is.

In case you haven't noticed, this thread is not about the teaching of a minority language.

I was comparing people talking of "clearing the prefabs" and the "prefabs should be torn down" to similar language used about Jewish ghettos during the Nazi occupation of Eastern Europe in World War 2. I was very shocked and offended by this language - it is the same kind of language that fascists use everywhere.

And as for genuine loss, I know all about it.

So it's even worse than I thought - you are comparing your plight to that of those in the holocaust - heaven forbid you and family should ever experience a real problem.

So it's even worse than I thought - you are comparing your plight to that of those in the holocaust - heaven forbid you and family should ever experience a real problem.

You know nothing about my family and what problems we might have experienced. I wouldn't dare assume anything about anyone like that.

You are obviously not intellectually capable of understanding that the use of language on that thread is highly inflammatory, preferring ridiculous tabloid style soundbites.

On the other hand you can go on your racist rant against the Irish language and not see the irony in it.

I hope for your sake you are a troll ... and not actually serious about this stuff.

• Advertisement

You know nothing about my family and what problems we might have experienced. I wouldn't dare assume anything about anyone like that.

You are obviously not intellectually capable of understanding that the use of language on that thread is highly inflammatory, preferring ridiculous tabloid style soundbites.

On the other hand you can go on your racist rant against the Irish language and not see the irony in it.

I hope for your sake you are a troll ... and not actually serious about this stuff.

You are the individual who compared the situation in the Tank Field to the to the slaughter of millions of innocents in the holocaust and, just this weekend, equated it to the disgusting vile attacks in Oslo - and you accuse me of being a troll!

You really would want on a long hard look at yourself and get some perspective on life. At least you have children to send to school and aren’t spending this week planning a funeral of a child murdered.

As is evidenced in this this thread you are just one of these prolix posters who is apparently incapable of comprehending a contrary point of view and, IMHO, are a liability to your campaign.

You are the individual who compared the situation in the Tank Field to the to the slaughter of millions of innocents in the holocaust and, just this weekend, equated it to the disgusting vile attacks in Oslo - and you accuse me of being a troll!

You really would want on a long hard look at yourself and get some perspective on life. At least you have children to send to school and aren’t spending this week planning a funeral of a child murdered.

As is evidenced in this this thread you are just one of these prolix posters who is apparently incapable of comprehending a contrary point of view and, IMHO, are a liability to your campaign.

For the last time I DID NOT compare the slaughter of millions of innocents or the attacks in Norway to the situation in the Tank Field. I merely pointed out some of the language being used was similar.

Where is your comprehension of a contrary point of view? I have stated many times I am not fixated on the tank field site.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

evilivor 7 day ban.
    No one should bring comments or issues from other forums into here for the purpose of causeing hassle

The last post on this was in 2011. It's now mid 2014. People will say this is resurrecting a zombie thread, but 3 years is but an instant in this saga ! The internet didn't exist when it started !

Full planning permission has been granted for a new school. There have been many planning objections since.

In practical terms, there has been a new storey of prefabs added on top of the existing ones, at enormous cost to the taxpayer. At the rate things are going, we will have the world's first prefab skyscraper!

I have also been told that teachers are no longer allowed to park on the laneway into the school on pain of a €75 fine per incident from the Gardaí, due to some rarely enforced bye law forbidding parking on public land, and must park in the tiny cark park outside the school where the children play at break time - so they have no room to play. Doubly strange when you consider that there are concrete areas off the lane specially put in for parking - since it gives you a good view of the pitch from the comfort of your car in bad weather.

In fact, anyone playing a match or training for Brian Dillons are subject to the same bye law, and regularly park there, but no-one reports them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The last post on this was in 2011. It's now mid 2014. People will say this is resurrecting a zombie thread

Dead right ! It is a Zombie thread and last time it was active delved into anti semitism and bans were handed out so I'm closing it before it starts up again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement