Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where Do Manly Men Buy there Manly cloths.

• 13-07-2007 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

I think the title explains it all. I don't like cloths shopping and I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of cloths stores only stock womens cloths, or a tiny mens sections shared with household plants or some other such ****e, and even then they appear to be for men of ridiculus porportions.

So yea where do I buy Cloths in Dublin

Also, where would one buy a Tux?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

galvins for men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

And where that, in relation to what?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you'll get a reasonable quality tux in M&S for about 250, they have cloths too, as well as some nice basic work clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Boston wrote:
    only stock womens cloths, or a tiny mens sections shared with household plants or some other such ****e, and even then they appear to be for men of ridiculus porportions.

Stay away from Micheal Gunnieys for a start. :D

yes M&S seems impressive enough, still a tiny range when compared to the womens section/flours. I never noticed Tuxes, but will check it out.

• Advertisement

M and S
    River Island
    Zara
    Reiss

River island? You're having a laugh mate there like cloths for starving people, who are stunted. I went in there one, it was probably the most horrible shopping related incident I've ever had, all the mirrors, I couldn't escape. I somehow ended up in gap, surrounded by pregnant women, "back, back, foul demons" i shouted, but they just kept coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I get a lot of stuff in TK Maxx. It satisfies my three requirements: that I have a wide enough selection that I can find something that fits, that I'm not wearing the same off-the-rack stuff that every muppet in Dublin is wearing, and that I don't have to pay €100 for a pair of kaks like all the other suckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Try Best in Dundrum,
    They stock alot of brand's and have a great sale on at the moment.

Txmaxx: Designer cloths made for fabulous men. I doubt they will have my size. Emphasise on the Manly men part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Boston wrote:
    I doubt they will have my size. Emphasise on the Many men part

They have clothes for many men. Many women, too, it's a big store.

If you've a 36" waist or below, you're catered for. If not, you're fat (or pregnant).

Cake Fiend wrote:
    If you've a 36" waist or below, you're catered for..

Actually I've seen some + size jeans in there before. Unfortunately they always seem to have that scaldy, arse-art on them.

Lol'er, 36" is tiny, Your just a woman in boys clothing. I was 36" when I was 15 and I wasn't over weight then.

So yes, be gone evil boy child creature , this thread is for manly men only, or women who know where manly men might buy clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It sounds like you are looking for something specialty. Have you tried:

http://www.mrbigmenswear.com/default.asp

Shop is in Goatstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Boston I don't get it. What's the difference between girly cloths and manly cloths? Surely a cloth is a cloth? I mean after all it is just a rag. Unless your entire query was about clothEs?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Boston wrote:
    Lol'er, 36" is tiny, Your just a woman in boys clothing. I was 36" when I was 15 and I wasn't over weight then.

So is it safe to assume that you are overweight now??

daiixi wrote:
    Boston I don't get it. What's the difference between girly cloths and manly cloths? Surely a cloth is a cloth? I mean after all it is just a rag. Unless your entire query was about clothEs?

Look at this one, with the humor and making of the Lolz, it warms the heart.

mcauley: Tis true, my secret shame.

In all seriousness, even as a kid I found it very difficult to kind a pair of jeans of trousers with an inside leg of 30 inch plus. It seems difficult to get the right combination and small ranges don't help. Alot of places don't seem to go over 38"x30" which is a pain in the ass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Re the Tux - try charity shops - seriously.
    My brother got an Armani evening suit for 40 euro - a few more quid for some alterations and he's set to gatecrash all sorts of free jar events.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you don't need to own the tux, just rent it. It's weird that you can't find legs over 30, usually they are 34 min when I go looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Go to Pennys, they have fat peoples clothes.

If you don't need to own the tux, just rent it. It's weird that you can't find legs over 30, usually they are 34 min when I go looking.

Its the combination. And Its a good idea for me to buy a Tux. Renting isn't cheep these days and alot of hassle. Over the last four years I've paid enough to buy one, and since I've another ~4 years of college life, it seems a good idea to get one now while I've some money.

daveirl: speaks the truth.

Zhane: Their selection isn't the best I've found. Of course it varies store to store, but in general, not a lot on offer and a lot of the same stuff. Also too small by and large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Definitely agree about the likes of River Island and Topman. The clothes in there just aren't suitable for anyone who doesn't have a stick figure.

The stores I find okay are Debenhams, Best, Jack&Jones(the vary between good and bad stocks, but generally the clothes fit well), Arnotts. Timberland are ludricously expensive most of the time, but they drop the prices an awful lot during sales and there's some good clothes to be had there.

Not sure what Zara in Ireland are like, but I was pleasantly surprised by Zara in Spain. Considering the running joke running up to our visit was "Let's go to Zara to buy fabulous tight fitting clothes that don't let us breathe!" :) Unfortunately the really nice shirt I got there has buttons that pop off as soon as you look at them. Typical of the quality of clothes you get in fabulous stores.

Unfortunately in Ireland, clothes shopping for men can be a tough business as you struggle to find the nice pieces of clothing between the mangina wear and the skanger wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Stark wrote:
    Definitely agree about the likes of River Island and Topman. The clothes in there just aren't suitable for anyone who doesn't have a stick figure.

Stick figure?? I had a look at the Topman site and the largest size jeans in each lenght are 34x30 36/38x32 and 36L.Those sizes are certainly NOT stick figure and from what i can remember their jean sizing is pretty big too.If you need bigger you should really be looking at your waistline.Manly??Dont think so.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

padi89 wrote:
    Stick figure?? I had a look at the Topman site and the largest size jeans in each lenght are 34x30 36/38x32 and 36L.Those sizes are certainly NOT stick figure and from what i can remember their jean sizing is pretty big too.If you need bigger you should really be looking at your waistline.Manly??Dont think so.

you really should read the first post again.

this was a request for clothes, not what you think is an acceptiable waist size.

you really should read the first post again.

this was a request for clothes, not what you think is an acceptiable waist size.

I read the whole thread,
    "River island? You're having a laugh mate there like cloths for starving people, who are stunted"

If your gonna go off on rubbish like this then dont get upset when the tables are turned.

In relation to buying a tux,
    i got mine in Black-tie, they do up to size 60 waist (woah!) wasnt too bad of deal either, they dont get people buying the more " over porportioned" Gentleman. so they are usually delighted to sort you out.

i find getting Blazers/suit jackets can be a problem. Any recomendations on where to get a 50 Long Blazer? or suit?

padi89 wrote:

The fit of their clothes tend to be for skinny people regardless of the overall size of their clothes. 32" waist jeans generally fit me comfortably, but anytime I try to fit on a 32" pair from the likes of River Island et al, I find I can't fit my thighs in as the legs are too tight. The skinny jeans should be in the girls' clothing section.

It's the same with the t-shirts and tops. You might get something that you can put on, but their clothes generally aren't flattering to anyone with >0% bodyfat.

padi89 wrote:
    If your gonna go off on rubbish like this then dont get upset when the tables are turned.

Agent Smith didn't post that, I did, and personally I'm positively suicidal over your massively off-topic comments. Where's my belt, damn can only get a 34" one...

Black Tie Tuxes seem to be through the mill though, its where I normally rent from and tbh I've very thankful to hand them back when finished. More often then not only tacked together. Then again they might sell me a new one?

Stark: The think I noticed is that places like Debenhams and Best in blanch are very decent with great range, but are crap in town. My brothers wife buys all his stuff form those places put I can never find anything decent with the right proportions in town.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote:
    Agent Smith didn't post that, I did, and personally I'm positively suicidal over your massively off-topic comments. Where's my belt, damn can only get a 34" one...

So where exactly did i say agent smith wrote that? Massively off topic?Sweet jesus read your posts, your the one ranting about how such and such a shop only caters for "starving people, who are stunted".:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Burtons, Top Man, M&S, Best, Debenhams all have men's sections/are men's shops.

There's always Urban Outfitters if you win the lottery ;)

Boston wrote:

Black Tie Tuxes seem to be through the mill though, its where I normally rent from and tbh I've very thankful to hand them back when finished. More often then not only tacked together. Then again they might sell me a new one?

Aye boston, they can sell you a brand new one, or an ex-rental.

the range they have for sale is Quite nice.

On the same Topic. i'm looking to pick up 2 suits for in and around the 150 mark, each.

now we all know home much men hate to shop, so i need the Following

Jacket: 50L
    Trousers 44 Waist 33 leg
    Waistcoat (would be nice, not needed tho)
    Shirt: 18 Coller

Go people, Find me suits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

for me, m&s and debenhams are probably the best. the one thing that wrecks my head is xxl tops/shirts that are 'slim' fitting i mean wtf why would i buy that size for it to hug my curves? are they not really only for weightlifters?
    going back to a point raised earlier about zara i remember shopping in zara and springfield in spain and they had lots of the larger sizes whereas the same shops in ireland stopped at either 34/36 waist jeans, couldn't understand that at all especially galling as i got the nicest pair of jeans ever in springfield in barcelona. :(

padi89 wrote:
    So where exactly did i say agent smith wrote that? Massively off topic?Sweet jesus read your posts, your the one ranting about how such and such a shop only caters for "starving people, who are stunted".:rolleyes:

You quoted his post and said " If your gonna go off on rubbish like this". I don't read my own posts, i thought that was obvious.

dereko1969: Thats something I've found even between the same chain stores in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

A bit far from Dublin (though not after Aug 2 when the new road opens), but Portadown just outside Newry. They have a Next Clearance store. A mate of mine just got really impressive jackets for £9 the other day (down from £70). Shirts are £3.. cant beat that.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Welcome to the fun of being of a wide stocky build and carrying a few extra pounds and trying to shop in this country.

Suitible company were doing suits and a free tux a while back I would keep an eye out for that offer again Boston and have you tried burtons ?

Thaedydal wrote:
    Welcome to the fun of being of a wide stocky build and carrying a few extra pounds and trying to shop in this country.

Suitible company were doing suits and a free tux a while back I would keep an eye out for that offer again Boston and have you tried burtons ?

Burtons you say, that name sounds familiar. I was actually waiting on a five week pay cheque to come in,(did on friday) before I seriously went looking.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

boston, have a look in house of fraser in dundrum, they have a big sale on at the moment and a lot of the more unusual small and large sizes are left with 'further reductions'. They have the likes of daks, strellson, own brands suits etc at 20/30/50% off. They also have some tuxes by some english tailoring brand too, they are half off but were pretty steep to begin with at about 7-800. M&S also have a sale on at the moment, but not as many items in the sale. However they hav various suits for <200 in the sale, again in the large and small sizes only.

It must be rose coloured glasses, whenever I go shopping it is the shorter legs and standard sizes that aren't left, especially in the sales..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.burton.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?catalogId=20553&storeId=12551&langId=-1

There are Burtons stores in Blanch shopping centre and liffey vally shopping centre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I never shop, my mum buys me my clothes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm fairly tall and have problems finding long enough clothing, but I've recently found Shaws (http://www.shaws.ie/mens/index.asp) and get plenty of stuff there. Good prices when the sales are on.

Ok, that explains that, My borther shops in burtons. Dyflin your post doesn't make any sense

Advertisement