Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a cheap modem - where to get and how much?

Options
  • 13-07-2007 10:33pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi folks,

im looking to get a cheap modem to fill in a week or so wait. Im waiting on BT broadband at the minute but they sent me a letter to say my line is active. While im waiting on the modem to get sent i was going to buy one to get me up and running although im not sure where to get one cheap.

Obviously i need one compatible with BT's broadband, can anyone tell me where i would get one and how much i would be looking at paying for it. Bearing in mind i will be getting the one BT provide this is just to get me out of a hole when im waiting.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

pcworld, linksys, netgear, dlink etc

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭alanjgrace

how much we talking for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

€40 - €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

argos have a good d-link 1 for 59euro
    I got it today and it was so simple to set up
    just click a few boxes and voila
    instant wireless network

delllat wrote:
    instant wireless network

Is it PPPoE tho and compatible with BT?

• Advertisement

delllat wrote:
    instant wireless network

I think thats a wireless router you bought anyways not a modem, even if it is a modem i dont think its PPPoE. Its a modem im after to plug the ASDL phone line connection into and then to connect my pc to it so i have broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All the ADSL modems do PPPoE.

But if you have not yet got BT broadband then surely what you need is a 56K serial dialup modem? Which will not work with Broadband.

Confused.

Argos do ADSL modems with built in WiFi Routers and they also do ethernet WAN WiFi Routers that have no ADSL modem built in that they describe as "Cable", though they work on any ethernet system and have no Cable Modem built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

yes ur right
    the one i have is only a router
    they have adsl modems too and the good thing about argos is they have a 14day money back guarantee on all purchases with no questions asked
    so u could get it for a few days and return when yours arrives
    just keep the reciept and packaging in good condition

delllat wrote:
    yes ur right
    the one i have is only a router
    they have adsl modems too and the good thing about argos is they have a 14day money back guarantee on all purchases with no questions asked
    so u could get it for a few days and return when yours arrives
    just keep the reciept and packaging in good condition

ya i just dont wanna spend much on it considering i be getting a new one in few days. Any ideas how much they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You can buy an Eircom branded Netopia Wireless Router in any PC World for €24.99 I think. You just have to change the username and password to suit your Esat connection and then you should be up and running.

• Advertisement

You can buy an Eircom branded Netopia Wireless Router in any PC World for €24.99 I think. You just have to change the username and password to suit your Esat connection and then you should be up and running.

Excellent, and thats compatible with PPPoE and all??

came across this...looks like they tightening up on the whole thing

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055013272&page=14

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think curry's are still ok. And people in that thread still seem to be getting them. Probably the best way to get ordinary eircom broadband now is to actually go into PC world and buy the €10 modem, filling out the paperwork there and then. If you can wait for the week or so for the modem, you can get it for free by placing the order with eircom directly.

Advertisement