Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noob question

Options
  • 13-07-2007 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Just bought first car, 2001 Seat Ibiza. Cassette player, eww!! Wondering if anyone can recommend a suitable cd/amfm/usb input unit to replace?

Is there a certain dimension of unit I need to buy, or will anything fit? Also, is it difficult to install.

Any help appriciated. Sorry if this is wrong forum. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

as far as I know, on a 01 ibiza, the heating is intergrated into the radio, so this will limit your choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

:cool: Wanna buy some cool cassettes? :cool: Or some blanks? :cool:

Can do you a good deal!

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yes its correct about the heater being integrated., although i think there is a kit out there that can get around this., trouble is it will be expencive as usuall., as far as what to stereo buy, most stereo's on the market are standard size 1 dins, 2 din stereos are twice the size as a regular stereo., if you have any compartments about the size of a single din then you could always add the stereo you choose and tap the wiring into the original cars stereo wiring so you still have the factory radio but also have a better one in there.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

esel wrote:
    :cool: Wanna buy some cool cassettes? :cool: Or some blanks? :cool:

Can do you a good deal!

I have a 20 gb mp3 player connected up via the cassette deck in my car. ;)

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/CDE/_CASADPT.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you could also get an ipod adaptor that plugs into the cd changer connection. The top models allow you to control the ipod via your built-in head unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

you could also get an ipod adaptor that plugs into the cd changer connection. The top models allow you to control the ipod via your built-in head unit.
    Which connection is this now? On a cassette radio?

Tuxy - my cassettes are cordless.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You could always try one of these. Just put the cassette adaptor into your current player and plug the jack plug into your mp3 player. A bit of a workaround but probably the cheapest way to do it.

CarCassette-x.jpg

/Edit Ooops Tuxy I didn't follow your link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Thanks for the tips guys, pitty about the heating. :( Wouldn't mind spending a few quid to get a decent one though in the future (flat broke now :D) Any websites recommended for this special bloody radio?

Will pick up a cassette convertor thingy for the moment. :) Are those wireless FM transmittors any use? Might borrow one see if they are good, and then pick one up.

if the connections on the stereo are VW standard, you may be able to pick up a CD changer on Ebay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As it happens I have a single CD player from my Passat upstairs that I no longer need since I got the new in-dash 6 CD Changer unit.

• Advertisement

Will pick up a cassette convertor thingy for the moment. :) Are those wireless FM transmittors any use? Might borrow one see if they are good, and then pick one up.

I would recommend the cassette converter over the fm transmitter.
    I find sound very poor on the transmitter and it's prone to interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

Does anyone know what the sound quality is like on those cassette converters?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

it's a standard 1 din unit, should look like this...

headunit1.jpg

and if it does then you need these type of keys to remove it

vw_keys.jpg

from memory it is not a standard ISO connector so you will need an adapter to change it to an ISO connector for most after market units.

Alvis wrote:
    Does anyone know what the sound quality is like on those cassette converters?

Well I only have standard speakers in my corolla so I might not be the best to judge it. But sounds just fine to me.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    As it happens I have a single CD player from my Passat upstairs that I no longer need since I got the new in-dash 6 CD Changer unit.

Really? How much we talking, and would it be easy to set up, or is it the type that you put in the boot

The device at the end of this page looks good.

Can anyone recommend somewhere I could buy this, and if it is easy to setup? Price seems a bit steep.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-AUX-Auxiliary-adapter-MP3-iPod-VAGA_W0QQitemZ180137595198QQihZ008QQcategoryZ60208QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

That looks like the same kind of device, and cheaper, but has a little box thingy? wouldnt like that, would have to find somewhere to put it then.

OKenora wrote:
    it's a standard 1 din unit, should look like this...

headunit1.jpg

Is that not the 02 on model, don't the older ones have a large screen with the heater display?
    692740_20070520100508_5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

colm_mcm wrote:
    Is that not the 02 on model, don't the older ones have a large screen with the heater display?

Yeah that's the '02 onwards standard radio.I presume the ignition and the permanent 12v are arse ways on a '01 Ibiza too,something to watch out for Irish GrumPy.

colm_mcm wrote:
    692740_20070520100508_5.jpg

Yeah, looks exactly like that. Decided to buy one of these. http://www.connects2.com/c2search.aspx?catID=42&manID=228&modID=549
    Hopefully it will work, and will be easy to install. Anyone with prior experience?

• Advertisement

Cool. Replacing the original headunit is not an option anyway.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Cool. Replacing the original headunit is not an option anyway.

Yeah, its a pretty cool device, cant wait to test it out. Cant find anything at all online regarding howto install it though. (It is just a case of attaching the lead) but getting the stereo out to connect, and back in is the hard part!!

Picking up the car on tuesday :D

Excellent. How easy? What do I need? :cool:

Thanks.

lucky enough, that particular stereo is easy peasy to take out. just take out 2 screws under the heater switches and the whole dash panel comes off. behind that is the innards of the stereo, this bit just unscrews with 4 screws and you can remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

A few pics to help you follow colm_mcms' instructions.

'cos they're so complicated! ;)

Sweet..... Thanks guys :D

Might as well throw up a pic or two of the new car. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 feodor101

Nice foot!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

mmmmm,.time to check the database of piccys, thats the one listed as 02 but obviously wrong, soz.

Advertisement