Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Air Corps to Base at Birr?

Options
  • 13-07-2007 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Seen this : [url=" http://www.irishairpics.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=1487;st=0;r=1;&
    "]Air Corps to Base at Birr?[/url].

If so its a step in the right direction, the next move would be to move the CASA's, put one in EINN and one in EICK, such a waste of time and money having them at EIME and going "cross country" before they even go "Ops Normal" over the Atlantic and such.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

You're making a big jump there, going from an unconfirmed report of one PC-9 at Birr to basing CASAs at Cork and Shannon. And why would you split the CASAs between the two locations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

the airbase should be in Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

cushtac wrote:
    You're making a big jump there, going from an unconfirmed report of one PC-9 at Birr to basing CASAs at Cork and Shannon. And why would you split the CASAs between the two locations?

Like i said i viewed it on irishairpics, also it is a waste of time having the CASA's in EIME when the vast majority of their work takes place on the west/South coast areas. Then again in a perfect world we would have 3 or 4 CASA's one for the West,South,East and one on back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Regardless of the sense it makes, the original airpics post mentions nothing about CASAs going to Cork or Shannon. So why do you think this will be the next move?

cushtac wrote:
    Regardless of the sense it makes, the original airpics post mentions nothing about CASAs going to Cork or Shannon. So why do you think this will be the next move?

I know it mentions nothing about the CASA's but it should be the first move really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Steyr wrote:

... EINN and one in EICK, such a waste of time and money having them at EIME and going ...

Any chance we can use plain English? There are lots of people who read or browse these boards that wouldn't know where these coded locations are. I could guess that EICK referred to Cork but I would never have guessed that EINN was Shannon and EIME doesn't even come up in a simple Google though I understand it's Casement.

Would it be wise to put one of Pilatus PC-9's trainers separate to the rest? It's a relatively small fleet of craft and surely the support cost for one aircraft would not justify it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Steyr wrote:
    Seen this : [url=" http://www.irishairpics.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=1487;st=0;r=1;&

If so its a step in the right direction, the next move would be to move the CASA's, put one in EINN and one in EICK, such a waste of time and money having them at EIME and going "cross country" before they even go "Ops Normal" over the Atlantic and such.

Birr Airport :rolleyes:

Maybe the Govt will decentralise them to "save" money. :rolleyes:

I think you are adding 1+1 and getting 9 instead of nein tbh.

BostonB wrote:

I think you are adding 1+1 and getting 9 instead of nein tbh.

Like i said i "saw" this i didnt create it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Steyr wrote:

Air Corps to base at Birr.
    This is beginning to read like an article from the National Enquirer.
    Have you ever flown into/out of Birr?
    This has to be wind up,why not Clonbollogue Airfield ?

Yes, I would agree whole heartly that Casas should be based at Shannon or even Knock.
    It would be nearer for Atlantic operations and it's better than having them trying to be smartass showoffs over Punchestown wasting fuel.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

BrianD wrote:
    Any chance we can use plain English? There are lots of people who read or browse these boards that wouldn't know where these coded locations are. I could guess that EICK referred to Cork but I would never have guessed that EINN was Shannon and EIME doesn't even come up in a simple Google though I understand it's Casement.

Well said. Well said.

• Advertisement

EIAB- Abbeyshrule
    EIBN- Bantry
    EIBT- Belmullet
    EIBR- Birr
    EICL- Clonbullogue
    EIKN- Connaught
    EICA- Connemara
    EICN- Coonagh
    EICK- Cork
    EIDL- Donegal
    EIDW- Dublin
    EICM- Galway
    EIHN- Hacketstown
    EIIR- Inisheer
    EIMN- Inishmaan
    EIIM- Inishmore
    EIKY- Kerry
    EIKL- Kilkenny
    EIKH- Kilrush
    EIMY- Moyne
    EINC- Newcastle
    EIRT- Rathcoole
    EINN- Shannon
    EISG- Sligo
    EITM- Trim
    EIWF- Waterford
    EIWT- Weston

Now you know.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

jmayo wrote:
    Air Corps to base at Birr.

Yes, I would agree whole heartly that Casas should be based at Shannon or even Knock.
    It would be nearer for Atlantic operations and it's better than having them trying to be smartass showoffs over Punchestown wasting fuel.

in all IAC operations bar the most important one a 'home' base on the south-west coast is ideal, immediate access to the CASA's operational areas, limited population to get upset about PC-9's and AW139's doing low-flying and lower property prices allowing IAC personnel to get on the housing ladder and promote retention.

sadly however the IAC's most important mission is of course that of ferrying politicians on junkets or to EU conferences where they are ignored, so having the IAC home based a long way from Dublin is a complete no-no.

sell the don, use a commercial set-up to provide ministerial transport from Dublin and set up a modern, purpose built airfield in the south-west or west.

OS119 wrote:
    in all IAC operations bar the most important one a 'home' base on the south-west coast is ideal, immediate access to the CASA's operational areas, limited population to get upset about PC-9's and AW139's doing low-flying and lower property prices allowing IAC personnel to get on the housing ladder and promote retention.

sadly however the IAC's most important mission is of course that of ferrying politicians on junkets or to EU conferences where they are ignored, so having the IAC home based a long way from Dublin is a complete no-no.

sell the don, use a commercial set-up to provide ministerial transport from Dublin and set up a modern, purpose built airfield in the south-west or west.

Lots of other countries have sharing between military and commerical so shouldn't be problem sharing somewhere like Shannon. It would be better than Knock since more established, nearer coast and built up areas.

The fact that Harney had to be flown to Sligo in one of the CASAs to oepn an off-license illustrates your point. Surprised that they didn't have to get a Herc for that job :rolleyes:

Just look at fact that at one stage SAR helis were based in the east of country and RAF had to cross Ireland to cover the West.
    The fishing industry were lobbying for years on that point.

Birr is a complete red herring, it would make no sense because it's neither here nor there. Whta is the strategic importance of the location?

But then again FAS might be having problems de-centralising staff to the town so they feed the locals this carbage.

jmayo wrote:

The fact that Harney had to be flown to Sligo in one of the CASAs to oepn an off-license illustrates your point. Surprised that they didn't have to get a Herc for that job :rolleyes:

Ok thats enough we both know the CASA's engines are the same as the Herc's.........For shame!:p

Steyr wrote:
    Ok thats enough we both know the CASA's engines are the same as the Herc's.........For shame!:p

So ????
    But last time I checked the CASA CN235 operated by the IAC was a twin tuboprop whereas the Lockheed C-130 Hercules is a four-engine turboprop. That and the size/payload differences would make them slightly different aircaft.

The Spitfire and Lancaster shared engines but I think that was where the similarity ended.
    Anyway my comment about needing a Herc for Ms Harney was meant as a joke with reference to weight and balance :rolleyes:

Just shows where this thread is going. We are now discussing what type of transport aircraft would be needed to cart around ministers. Personally I would Skycrane and sling load them.

jmayo wrote:
    So ????
    But last time I checked the CASA CN235 operated by the IAC was a twin tuboprop whereas the Lockheed C-130 Hercules is a four-engine turboprop. That and the size/payload differences would make them slightly different aircaft.

Anyway my comment about needing a Herc for Ms Harney was meant as a joke with reference to weight and balance

I know your comment was a joke thats why i posted my reply saying the CASA's have Hercules engines...jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

OS119 wrote:

Up to the purpose built airfield bit I'm in complete agreement. I'd rather go for a civil-military facility at either Shannon or Knock.

Steyr wrote:
    I know your comment was a joke thats why i posted my reply saying the CASA's have Hercules engines...jeez.

My bad, mis-interpreted ...
    Still stand by idea of using Skycrane with a sling for all our overweight and self important policticos.

Os119 it would be very hard to get planning and agreement to build new military airfield someplace.
    Watch all the nimbeys coming out saying they would all be terrorist targets and the value of their homes would decrease. And then there would be the noise issues, the possiblity of explosions, crashes, etc, etc.
    Shannon already has noisy, heavy traffic so no one would notice a few single or twin engine turboprops. Ok the usual whingers would but would the airport authority or the locals mind?

Advertisement