Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improve your Ripwave Reception

Options
  • 14-07-2007 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Im just posting this for Rip Wave users.
    I have boosted my ripwave signal by 40% and stabelized the connection completely. I havent lost a connection in 96 hours. My download rate is a constant 58.6kb, and i have tested my connection on
    ISP test. I received 498k. I have achieved this by usung a pringles can in the method known as Cantenna. Instructions are availible on
    the internet on the method but its easy. Cut a whole in a pringles can(empty cans are preferable!!!). The whole should be big enough for the rip wave antenna, but not too big as the can needs to stay on.
    Place the pringles can ontop of the ripwave unit in such a way as that the antenna is stuck inside the can. You should use tape to hold the can in place.
    This will block out all other signals and amplify the ripwave signal. It was neccessary to do this after the ripwave had connected to the network.
    I tried it again with the unit switched off and it didnt work. But once switched on and connected, when the can was placed as described above
    a noticable improvement was recorded. I will post more information as i get it. For more information google pringles, can , antenna, cantenna.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭liamtech

Hi folks, im attaching pictures to this thread to show the results.

liamtechy@gmail.com
    By all means email me if you need any advice setting this up. But trust me it works. Heres more pictures to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

LOL! Can you post up a photo of the set up!? ;)

Im working on it!!! My smartphone camera wont sync at the moment...long story!!! lol. but it works. Trust me!!! The method was designed to work with Wifi but it defo works with rip wave!!!

Here they are folks. Pictures to prove it!!! As i said in a previous post, email me with any questions!!! And let me know how you get on!!!:) :D:)

PS: And yes that is a TARDIS in the bottom section of the second Picture!!! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Lol - Thats mad. Do you need to point it in a particular direction tho? My ripwave is brutal

I would recommend that you find your optimal direction(however bad it is!) and leave it facing that way! Wait until its connected, then place the can on top of the antenna. Youll have to have navina software installed. Use it to make sure that the unit is using the upright antenna and not patch one or two. Then hey presto you should see a marked improvement! Ive tried on a friends and got a very similar result!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Get your hands on a catering size coffee tin for a better diy directional, That said with a bit of messing about theres loads of ways to improve a signal, thats "only" if you have one to start with:rolleyes:

I might try that. Anyone else with any new methods!! Any results, !:D ;):) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

110cm satellite dish anyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ouldscratch

Do you leave the lid on or off. I couldn't veiw the pics. Or does it even matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Lid on I believe. Not that i'd ever be desperate enough to get ripwave, but just out of interest, do u really have to use that god awful .99c cheaply made box with an antenna they give u? Or can u use your own setup to receive their signal & just copy the settings from their box yolk to your router?

In fairness to Irish Broadband the ripwave is just entry level for people who want to check emails or check websites. It's not meant for highend use. Sure it depends on if you are in a good location but it's not meant for Skype or downloads, people buy it the idea that it will do this and then curse the hell out of it. If you want a decent internet service and you live in an apartment then you need DSL. This is the only thing people in apartments can use for decent BB. I have 3mb dsl with IBB with a contention of 24:1 and it's grand for what I use it for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

hey, mr mad scientist:p

what flavour pringles does it have to be??

Can you use the new Rice Pringles tube or does it have to be of the potatoe variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Funny to read this just now. I was reading an old pc format just this week and it mentioned the reverse also works. You can use a cantenna to boost the range of you wifi router, but only in a specific angle.

So if you wanted the wifi signal in a specific location thats much further range then normal, you point the cantenna at that location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 scottmc

liamtech wrote:
    I would recommend that you find your optimal direction(however bad it is!) and leave it facing that way! Wait until its connected, then place the can on top of the antenna. Youll have to have navina software installed. Use it to make sure that the unit is using the upright antenna and not patch one or two. Then hey presto you should see a marked improvement! Ive tried on a friends and got a very similar result!!!
    what happens if 'Antenna currently being used by the modem' in Navini is constantly (every second or 2) switching between Upright, Patch 1 & Patch 2?

im going to buy me some pringles now..

If you take off the antennae on the ripwave and put in a coathanger that has been converted into a dish with tinfoil this will boost your signal. But beware when you cancel your ripwave you will have to give it back and if you can't reconnect the antennae you will incur a charge of about €300.

i still get the occasional spike 1000+ms but it looks like it may have helped a bit.. it certainly has stopped/reduced request timeouts (before I was getting a timeout every 10-20 pings.

not sure if i've done it right?
    Ripwave Pics
    4rcveki.jpg
    6gk4kf4.jpg
    61ulpxs.jpg

Navini Diag Pics - it seems signal strength is fine.. just quality is a bit shotty. I'm in Dublin 1 - Mountjoy Square.
    66om1d1.png
    5xdzv2r.png
    4yjwm5x.png

If you take off the antennae on the ripwave and put in a coathanger that has been converted into a dish with tinfoil this will boost your signal. But beware when you cancel your ripwave you will have to give it back and if you can't reconnect the antennae you will incur a charge of about €300.
    if i could workout how to take the antenna off, i'd probably purchase a bigger one to sit out the window.. just cant work out how to take it off - or if infact it does come off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

that would work alot better if you took the actual antenna off of the ripwave modem thing and wired the antenna into the pringles tube then taped it to the foil on the inside of the cylender.

The foil on the pringles tube will amplify your reception even more if you do that. Also, take off the lid of the tube, from what i remember that also does more for it.. (its been a few years since i've tried that trick)

as crazy as it sounds i've worked up how to make it use the upright antenna instead of the others. Cover the rest of the modem in foil.. :)

hmm seems to work better facing the pringles container the other way.

atleast for stability.

To take the antenna / aerial off the ripwave modem open it (or close it) to the 8 O'Clock position and pull softly.. it should clip off.

Also, here is a thing I found on an Aussie forum
    http://www.rfshop.com.au/ContactUs/Bloggs/tabid/648/EntryID/11/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Oh man someone ring IBB quick - we have their next advertising photos right here:D

Advertisement