Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New computer. Must have 3 pci slots

Options
  • 14-07-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new computer (or possibly several) the spec of dell's cheapest offering would be more than adequate, The thing is I need at least 3 pci slots. Anybody know of one?

I could build them myself but these are going to be passed on to other people configured to do various jobs and I dont want to have to deal with warranty stuff. So id like to be able to buy from dell, hp, etc with a 1 yr warranty a cheap desktop with 3 pci slots.

Any ideas?

Btw none of dell's current systems have 3 pci slots (as far as i can find anyway)

edit: Mods I put this in here, coz the upgraders would have a good idea of the internals of various off the shelf systems!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The Dimension 9200 is the only system I'm aware of that has 3 PCI slots in the home line.

In the business line the Precision workstation line also has 3 slots.

Low end cheap systems these days will only have 2 PCI slots as 1 PCI-e x1 slot so you may want to reconsider self building if you want them cheap if you cannot locate any other alternatives.

Why do they need three PCI slots is it for various expansion cards as most motherboards have the essential functionality integrated into the motherboard these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Its mostly for dvr cards. I dont know if any more people will want 3 of them but it would be nice to have the facility. This bloke wants 12 cctv cameras.
    There are 16 channel cards out there but they will only record on 4 channels so I gotta use 3, 4-channel cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The sooner all these cards go PCI-E the better, also gets rid of any legacy IRQ problems :)

Advertisement