Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Societies

Options
  • 14-07-2007 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I went to the UCD Homepage to find out more about societies and clubs. However a disclaimer appeared and the page couldn't be found so I don't even have a definitive list so I know which one(s) to register with in the first week.

I'd appreciate if people could tell me where to get a list and tell me about the societies &/or Clubs that you were in and what they were like as they may or may not interest me, and what you did throughout the year?

Also, can you do more than 1 society or club or is there a maximum or whats the story there.....I definitely want to join several societies & Clubs in UCD this September but need more insight.

Thanks

Comments

Afaik, if you have money, they'll let you join.

PS I'd get killed if I didn't pimp Law Soc for my mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Whats' World Aid Society about?? I heard about it from previous threads, what do they do....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Whats' World Aid Society about?? I heard about it from previous threads, what do they do....?

Charitable stuff in aid of the developing world. Table quizzes, slave auctions etc. They also did a lot of work to make ucd a fair trade campus (if memory serves they were successful).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You can join as many Socs as you can, same for clubs. However it's difficult to be an active member in more than 2 or 3 of them.

Only ones I'm familiar with are the Dramsoc, Gamesoc and Ninjutsu club, and I will happily recommend any of them. Dramsoc is great if you have any interest in theatre, the only thing I would say against it is that it has a slight tendency to eat lives, which is why I'm not as active a member as I started off in september. But it's very fun, and they are very accepting of new members, not nearly as cliquey as they have a reputation to be.

Gamesoc is my whole social life in college, pretty much, and I'm in the current committee so take my plugging of it with a pinch of salt. But it is a wonderful, friendly society which all small societies are really. As well as that we have a lot of things we're trying to do next year, such as paintballing, more videogaming - You name it and its games related, we either do it already, or we'll try it. This is in addition to the normal roleplaying and boardgaming that we've always done. Really, if you enjoy games, join Gamesoc!

Ninjutsu Club is quite good if you're looking for a martial art to pick up. it's taught mostly at a complete beginner level and is very practical for self defence. The one flaw is that it's extremely intensive, and all martial no art. For me that wasn't really a downside, but it might be for you.

To sum up, my advice would be to join a good few socs so you can find the one for you, and look at small socs - they're easier to get into the active membership of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rotten_eggz

Is it true that an Arts Soc is on the way for this September?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I enjoyed Jazzsoc, Dutchsoc and Ultimate Frisbee club. The three of them were pretty much just about randomness.

There are about 100 active societies. Basically there are societies related to courses, societies that focus on certain interests, and larger societies that (used to) run most of the large student nights.

Theres a society for everything really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

There are also political societies. If you're interested in politics and a strong supporter of a political party then you could join.

The Kevin Barry Cumann (KBC) is the political society for Fianna Fáil The Republican Party. You'll see us at the stand in the Freshers Week. As for the others er..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

mathsoc will be very active this coming year with the Irish Mathematical Students Conference to be held at UCD.

Chakar wrote:
    As for the others er..

They're all exactly the same. The do the same things.

The political parties on campus are like soccer supporters clubs

Btw OP, the ucd website seems to be working for me http://www.ucd.ie/socs.htm

but just in case
    ucd wrote:
    UCD Societies
    Cumainn UCD

* UCD Chamber Choir
    * An Cumann Gaelach
    * Chess Club
    * Arts Postgraduate Students Assoc.
    * Civil Engineering Society
    * Chemical Society
    * Computer Science Society
    * Christian Union
    * Comedy Society
    * DramaSoc
    * Electronic and Electrical Engineering
    * ELSA
    * Engineering Society
    * English Literary Society
    * Film Society
    * French Society
    * Forestry Society
    * Games Society
    * German Society
    * Glasgow Celtic Supporters Club
    * Hellenic Society
    * International Students Society
    * Islamic Society
    * Juggling Society
    * Kevin Barry Cumann (Fianna Fail)
    * Law Society
    * L & H Society
    * LGB Society
    * Mathematical Society
    * Mature Students' Society
    * Mechanical Engineering Society
    * Medical Society
    * NetSoc
    * Newman Society
    * Outreach Society
    * Politics Society
    * Philosophy Society
    * Photographic Society
    * Psychology Society
    * Physiology Society
    * Racing Club
    * Retrospective Society
    * Science Fiction and Fantasy Society
    * Soccer Supporters Society
    * Staff Golf Society
    * St. Vincent de Paul
    * World Aid Society
    * Young Fine Gael

Though thats not all of them, and some of them are now defunct.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of Outreach, World Aid for the societies....might choose another.

Plus, I was thinking of Mountaineering Club, and Caving Club for the clubs to keep me occupied. Although I know that both organise weekend trips so would it be unrealistic to pick the two of them because I would really want to do both if possible????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Go with the Mountaineers Lucas!! :D

Ah Im teasing, Cavers are cool too, actually many members overlap in both so its totally possible to do both!!

Most of your long term Cavers are Mountaineers too.

Im not a caver but Im on UCDMCs committee for this year. Obviously Im gonna pimp our club but I only joined last year and they really are the nicest most laid back good fun bunch of people you could come across. Cavers too.

We've loads of activities, hugely active and such a great way to keep fit and active. Have you climbed and hiked and stuff before?!

Search youtube for UCDCPC for videos of their canyoning trips. check out www.ucd.ie/mountain for the mountaineers. I will be updating the events list in the next week or two but its the same general idea as last year.

Hope you join us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Archaeology Society

Weaponry Displays and Nights in Castles. c/w booze and women :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

join CTN! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Is it true that an Arts Soc is on the way for this September?

Apparently so, I'm sure there's a bebo page dedicated to it somewhere....

Societies are a must for everyone in my opinion. I know far far too many people who waltz through college and fail to get involved, and it's such a missed opportunity. One of my mates was telling me of real desire to get a first next year - nothing wrong with that, but it was because he won't get anything else out of the college experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Chakar wrote:
    The Kevin Barry Cumann (KBC)...

Shouldn't it be "Cumann Kevin Barry"? Or is Cumann an English word now?
    Raphael wrote:
    You can join as many Socs as you can, same for clubs.

Is there a difference?

Sorry about all the questions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Clubs are related to sporting or physical activities, Socs are more social. That and iirc clubs cost more than socs, sthough still <€10 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Ok, I'm gonna suggest this club as I enjoy it a lot:

http://www.ucd.ie/rifle/index.html

;)

Best,
    Preusse

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Do we have to re-join societies and clubs again during fresher's week or is it a case of "it's ok, I joined this society over a year ago"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

You have to rejoin if you want to be a member. But generally you can still show up to most societies events if you arent a member.

Definitely join World Aid Soc! I just finished in UCD, but I was on the WAS committee for the last two years and it definitely made a huge difference to my college experience. Next year's committee are a really great group of people, but they really need some new blood to keep things going. So if you want to, you should try get involved!

• Advertisement

Is there any socities or clubs that are not mentioned on the UCD website??

Yep, I definitely will BeanyB, so what activites did they do last year or what that were worthwhile and enhancing your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

try join some of the smaller societies, like sports clubs or ones related to your course, just to show support. people complain that small societies dont really do much but the problem is that membership is down because PR isnt funded because membership is down. and so some of the socities arent given practicable grants.

most of the smaller societies appear as cliques from the outside but its all just a small group huddling into themselves because no one else shows interest in getting involved. if you go to any of the events and put yourself out there to get involved, you'll become part of that small group.

i remember with my two academic societies, history soc and archsoc, i thought they were just annoying cliques. but the more events i went to, the more i got to know the people running the societies, even by just knowing their faces and saying hi in college, the more i found myself included in non-society events > like socials and being invited to birthday parties and such, because they knew or at least thought i was interested. its a great way to make friends.

unfortunatly, the ucd website doesnt have all the societies listed, neither does the freshers guide. i think the ucd website only lists the societies that have websites and the freshers guide only lists the societies that get back to them before freshers week. so you really have to go to the tent in september and allow yourself to be coaxed by charming yet member impoverished societies fighting to stay afloat amid the four star pizza deals and flashy tshirts of the larger and less personal societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Richie15 wrote:
    Now as a member of UCD boards you'll have to get used to this frequent big upping Fianna Fail from Chaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

yes, the small societies eg. mathsoc are the best way to make good friends.

i went up to dublin on friday to meet some of them

gubbie wrote:
    Now as a member of UCD boards you'll have to get used to this frequent big upping Fianna Fail from Chaker

Ahh, sure it's better than being harassed about Sinn Fein like I was in secondary school. Sinn Fein & Associates are the biggest load of w*****s IMHO.

Anyway, Id' support Fianna Fail all the way myself just to prevent Sinn Fein getting in government, ever.
    ====================================================================================================

Back on topic, anyone have anything else to say, I'm pretty certain on the ones I've picked so far which saves me time cum Freshers Week.

1. Outreach
    2. World Aid
    3. Caving
    4. Mountaineering

I'd like to know more about the above if possible, they're really good clubs and societies and I checked their own individual websites and they have things going on all the tyme there which doesn't make it redundant I suppose.

EDIT: Should you do a maths degree/math sciences degree to join the Math Soc, I'll be doing Pharmacology.....???????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

What's the Outreach one? Hoping to join the Mountaineering and Rifle ones myself. Is there any limit to how many you can join? Obviously from a practical point of view, time restraints etc. But is there a rule or anything actually stopping you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm biased, having been on committee since I started college in first year, but the ELS (English Literary Society) is good fun. Although it has a stupid pretentious crappy name (which it's had since 1911, so we couldn't really change it) it's a good way to meet people if you're interested in writing -whether you're good or bad- and the trips are fantastic. If you're a pretentious person, you might be better off choosing a different society though, because despite the name it's not at all about berets and clicking fingers. Most of my best friends are people I met through the ELS.

The reason societies are cheaper than clubs is clubs have to pay high insurance rates (particularly the potentially violent/contact sport ones) and either way, you'll probably have to limit yourself a bit more than choosing 4 to get actively involved in. I'd advise that you join a few fun societies too, just for the perks - the friendly members, access to their events etc. JazzSoc are a good example of a good, fun and worthwhile society who're all about a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Is there any socities or clubs that are not mentioned on the UCD website??

Yep, I definitely will BeanyB, so what activites did they do last year or what that were worthwhile and enhancing your experience?

Basically the society has 2 basic functions, to raise awareness around campus about Developing world issues and to fundraise for charities that deal with those issues. Our most long running campaign was the Fair Trade campaign, that led to us getting recognised as a Fair Trade University. All the SU shops and many other places on campus now sell Fair Trade tea and coffee, the SU shops do it exclusively and all official college events are catered by Fair Trade drinks too. There should be a big launch day to celebrate the recognition, but I'm not 100% sure about that. We've run other smaller campaigns about Darfur and a few other things too.

Along with the campaigns we hold regular fundraisers like table quizzes and our Slave Auction that we do every year on the last night of the SU Sabbat elections. They're good craic and raise money for good causes, so it's doubly beneficial. We're a small society, so it can be difficult to organise these things, so any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Next years auditor, Oisin, has some really great ideas, so this should be a good year for WAS.

But along with all that, the reason World Aid made such a difference to my college experience was that I made some really great friends through being on the committee. Honestly, they're people I think I'll be friends with for life even though I'm finished in UCD. UCD can be quit daunting because of its size, and getting to know more people is always helpful. So I'd recommend really getting involved, not just joining the society, it takes a small bit of effort, but it's really worth it in the end! And even if you decide that WAS isnt for you, I'd really recommend getting involved in any society or club!

*end spiel* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Richie15 wrote:

No. For further information see www.kbc.ie

Anyway I'm just putting forward the society in my capacity as Membership and Campaigns Officer.
    Lucas10101 wrote:
    Anyway, Id' support Fianna Fail all the way myself just to prevent them getting in government, ever.

Good man Lucas. I hope you will consider membership of the society at the princely sum of two euro. You can join during Freshers Week in the Freshers Tent.

• Advertisement

Anyone else have any comments on the ones I'm joining, maybe you are already a member of them...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement