Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Societies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

with so many other societies doing the exact same thing, then another one is just wasteful of resources

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I think if you look at the calibre of big societies that were around a few years ago and see what the so-called party societies were capable of then, you might think differently. Yes, there are societies who lend their efforts to the pursuit of a student nightlife, but they're woeful by comparison. If the Arts Soc can foster a sense of community in the Arts block and hold a variety of events (and I mean genuine variety, not merely the bland bunny ball/pyjama party/beach ball type event, which I have faith the Arts Soc will attempt, if their budget allows) to get people involved, then they're worth it.

i suppose it could work as long as it doesnt transform into another q-soc

please, nobody try to defend them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Hundreds of people would join methinks.

more like thousands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Arts_Soc

I can promise u ArtsSoc. will not be doing the "usual" big society thing or just any old events....

from day 1 Arts Soc will be running events especially for Arts and Social Science students... Orientation Week, Freshers Week, weekly events, competitions, Arts Day, Arts Ball, Careers Week (Feb 4th - 8th) and a trip away (TBC).

Exact details wont be disclosed yet :p but rest assured we've got a full year planned out, most of which can and will be run regardless of the numbers of students recruited during Freshers Week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Arts_Soc wrote:
    I can promise u ArtsSoc. will not be doing the "usual" big society thing or just any old events....

from day 1 Arts Soc will be running events especially for Arts and Social Science students... Orientation Week, Freshers Week, weekly events, competitions, Arts Day, Arts Ball, Careers Week (Feb 4th - 8th) and a trip away (TBC).

Exact details wont be disclosed yet :p but rest assured we've got a full year planned out, most of which can and will be run regardless of the numbers of students recruited during Freshers Week

Ill join. It better be reasonably priced and with good free stuff:) . Only kidding. I was surprised there was not one when I joined last year. Arts is a big place and such a thing would be good to meet new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Heyho,

The caving club is a good laugh, and it's definitly different, if thats what you are looking for. You don't really need any gear or training to start out - the easy caves are like hiking along underground rivers. I've known people who've caved for years without buying their own gear, as the club has a good supply of the stuff you'll need. The club also has a good mix of young ones (freshers etc...) and oldies (like me - 29 year old eternal student) - the students provide the craziness, and the oldies do the training, hand out advice and make sure the students don't kill themselves. In general, we try to get the students to run the club - it's their club after all :-)

We train once a week on the climbing wall for the technical stuff (vertical rope work, etc...), and then most of the main events are the weekends away. We're not a huge club, so members often find that their social calender ends up being formed around the club's many informal nights out (beer, cinema, bowling, etc - the usual cub stuff) - but then this is true of many clubs.

Realistically, it's hard to keep up with more than 2-3 clubs societies (8 years of UCD told me this), as they all become demanding of your time an energy, and outings,etc.. will clash. But the best idea is to join a few and then stick with the ones that seem like fun. Drop the crap ones after that.

My top picks: Caving, mountaineering, photography, rifle, tae-kwon-do, sub-aqua - all sound groups of people, though sub-aqua is expensive - hey, they have to pay for their motorboats somehow!

Dave's €0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I recommend;

The Dodgeball Club - Only started up last year and we already became European Champions. Great fun and a good way to keep up excerise and team sports, if you don't want to get too seriously involved as with some other sports clubs. It's also probably the only sport where you can win a tournament while drunk.

English Literary Society - Don't judge it by the name, it's not like we sit around reading Yeats and Shakespeare. We host creative writing workshops every Tuesday night and they're a good laugh and then we hit the pub.

An Cumann Gaelach - If you're not interest in Gaeilge, then maybe this isn't the club for you, but An Cumann Gaelach is getting a complete re-vamp this September, in order to have a more active society than in other years. It'll be a good one to join.

I'd also recommend for anyone interested in the media to get involved with either;

The College Tribune

or

Belfield FM

or

both.

Both are great for people who want to go further in the media or just want to have a bit of a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

dajaffa wrote:
    *shoots* :p

Rubbish society but if you're a bag whore its the one to join, but do so early in the week cause the bags have less and less stuff as the week goes on as they start to run out.

Rubbish in what way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Blush_01 wrote:
    I'm biased, having been on committee since I started college in first year, but the ELS (English Literary Society) is good fun. Although it has a stupid pretentious crappy name (which it's had since 1911, so we couldn't really change it) it's a good way to meet people if you're interested in writing -whether you're good or bad- and the trips are fantastic. If you're a pretentious person, you might be better off choosing a different society though, because despite the name it's not at all about berets and clicking fingers. Most of my best friends are people I met through the ELS.

Well, some of us are pretentious, but the majority are just there for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Rubbish in what way?

Well it's always one of the biggest societies, but does the same 3/4 social nights year in and year out. Imo it always has a great freshers week + then you hear little/nothing for the rest of the year.

dajaffa wrote:
    Well it's always one of the biggest societies, but does the same 3/4 social nights year in and year out. Imo it always has a great freshers week + then you hear little/nothing for the rest of the year.

Not necessarily true. I went to a SuperBowl Party in February that was held by the C&E. Really great night, and total different ( projector screen, cheap beer, xbox 360 comps, free pizza).

They also heavily subsidized the whole our year (1st Commerce) to go paintballing and subsidized a weekend away in Cilften during the spring break, and threw in 50 crates of beer.

The might do some events every year (Beach Ball, Rappers and Slappers, and Back to da Wezz) but at least these nights are pretty good.

I’ve attended some real shockers this year from the other “Party Societies” like “Q-ock Party” by Qsoc in Lillies, “New Years Resolution” by BnL (about 150 people there) and the “Pajamas Party” by Law Soc.

Yeah but it was the biggest society on campus this year, has an auditor whos taken a year out, a big enough committee and it should be better than relying on th same 4/5 nights a year, the exception this year being the Superbowl thing which was new. This year was better than last year, it did some stuff for Comm students, but just generally it used to be amazing (apparently, I'm too young to know) with like scvanger hunts accross Europe (or so I'm told). It pretty much used to be the best society on-campus, + used to be the biggest college society in Europe.

You cant compare the C&E, or any social society, of old with the one we have now. Things are completely different.

When it was the biggest in Europe you didnt have a student night on every night of the week and 4 or 5 on Wednesdays with cheap drink on offer.

Thats why attendance at the events was so high. Mid week nights out with cheap drink were almost unheard of.

You didnt have the Buckos, O'Malley's, Anto Kelly's and Paulies and other night club "promoters" of this world around back then and thats what made the society nights out such a novelty.

Beach Ball used to be huge, but now most students have been to a Beach Party before they even hit college.

Thats why I think societies, like the C&E, have started targetting trips away, as a means of providing for their members.

i joined An Cumann Gaelach this year and they never contacted me about any events, so i was unable to attend any
    the same happened with some other societies and the pool & snooker club only told me about 1 event

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You cant compare the C&E, or any social society, of old with the one we have now. Things are completely different.

When it was the biggest in Europe you didnt have a student night on every night of the week and 4 or 5 on Wednesdays with cheap drink on offer.

Thats why attendance at the events was so high. Mid week nights out with cheap drink were almost unheard of.

You didnt have the Buckos, O'Malley's, Anto Kelly's and Paulies and other night club "promoters" of this world around back then and thats what made the society nights out such a novelty.

Beach Ball used to be huge, but now most students have been to a Beach Party before they even hit college.

Thats why I think societies, like the C&E, have started targetting trips away, as a means of providing for their members.

'Scuse me! When I was a lowly fresher, there were events on at least a fortnightly basis from the likes of C&E and B&L. Conor Buckley and his ilk knew how to do what they did well.

Yes but the beach ball used to be on in a place that wasn't Bondi...

As for the rest things are harder for socs these days, but CnE with the resources they have should be a lot better than the are. They get a few grand from the college, a fair whack more in sponsorship (which the legacy of CnE helps no end I'm sure) so they should be more active than they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Let's not wish too much for yesteryear.

It is because of some of those old-heads that we all get constant "text-spam"*

*for want of a better phrase!

Blush_01 wrote:
    'Scuse me! When I was a lowly fresher, there were events on at least a fortnightly basis from the likes of C&E and B&L. Conor Buckley and his ilk knew how to do what they did well.

Sorry, I must have come across wrong, I meant mid week "non society" nights were unheard of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

Hi Lucas,
    It's a really great idea to get involved in Societies in U.C.D. It's a great way to meet people and find your feet in a place that can be so huge and daunting when you start out.

As you can see, there will always be people bitching about other societies (usually a rival one to one they're involved in!), but don't get caught up in that crap and just join whatever you feel like in Freshers week. It's a lucky dip really!

I'm on the committees of Arts Soc and the Kevin Barry Cumann/ Cumann Caoimhín de Barra!
    The KBC is a great way of having regular rows with Chakar! ;) It's really inclusive- as I'm sure all the other Political parties in College are. If you have any interest in a political party, I'd join it as they're all pretty active and if the KBC is anything to go by they're great craic too. I've discovered lots about Politics and how to drink whiskey in the last year!

Arts Soc looks like it's going to be great too- but I'm biased! I'd join a society connected to whatever faculty your in.
    Sin é!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Dori Duz wrote:
    The KBC is a great way of having regular rows with Chakar! ;)

You love it! :)

By the way you guys should join the IPA (Inclusion, Participation and Awareness Society). I'm the treasurer of the society. I'll post up a profile of the IPA soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

So, we should join for no other reason than you are the Treasurer? Wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

Chakar wrote:
    You love it! :)

That sounds wrong. Very wrong.

What's the idea of the I.P.A. Soc? Surely all societies should encourage inclusion and participation in University life.... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Yea I want to know what the idea of the IPA is. Cause tis not pretty clear!

Dori Duz wrote:
    That sounds wrong. Very wrong.

You're reading too much into it.
    Dori Duz wrote:
    What's the idea of the I.P.A. Soc? Surely all societies should encourage inclusion and participation in University life.... :confused:

The website link below, gives you further information, on the society and its aims.

http://ipaucd.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Join the young progressive democrats. Forget the poor election results. As a result of being branch chairman last year, im currently in Dallas Texas at a great conference run by IFLRY. We are with IFLRY via LYMEC (who refused to grant Fianna Fail Membership !)

Het-Field wrote:
    Join the young progressive democrats. Forget the poor election results. As a result of being branch chairman last year, im currently in Dallas Texas at a great conference run by IFLRY. We are with IFLRY via LYMEC (who refused to grant Fianna Fail Membership !)

Just to be clear, he means the youth branch, Ogra Fianna Fail. I see that the Progressive Democrats are also members of the European Liberal Democrat and Reform Party (ELDR).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

But seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT, 'cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, then we'd all be put on KP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

wtf?

Archsoc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement