Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Societies

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

the progressive democrats are in cahoots with the redneck republicans of texas???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

Het-Field wrote:
    Join the young progressive democrats. Forget the poor election results. As a result of being branch chairman last year, im currently in Dallas Texas at a great conference run by IFLRY. We are with IFLRY via LYMEC (who refused to grant Fianna Fail Membership !)

Please don't get involved in a political society in College if you're just in it for this type of Careerism. It's quite irritating for the other members of the organisation who are involved because they believe in the ideals of the party and believe their party can best manage our Country.

UCD has enough soul-less careerists already, as you can see. But we're not all like that. Don't let it put you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Dori Duz wrote:
    Please don't get involved in a political society in College if you're just in it for this type of Careerism. It's quite irritating for the other members of the organisation who are involved because they believe in the ideals of the party and believe their party can best manage our Country.

UCD has enough soul-less careerists already, as you can see. But we're not all like that. Don't let it put you off.

Your implication that I am a careerist is complete and utter rubbish. I had no idea that this type of event would come my way when I joined the YPDS in April 2006. I joined after making an EDUCATED decision on my politics. In conjunction with their strong leadership (Harney/McDowell/Parlon), their willingness to tackle unpopular issues headon, and their history of success, led me to believe the Progressive Democrats was the best party for me. I have become very enamoured with the Liberal Agenda over the past 15 months, and at the conference I met with many liberals from all over the world. After discussion with many, it strengthened my faith in Liberalism all the more.

I did not get involved as a careerist. If I was a careerist I would have stayed with Fianna Fail, or Fine Gael. I will continue to fight for what I believe in.

In fact I think you should be ashamed of your post. Talk to me before branding me as a careerist, and making an assumption that I dont believe in the ideals of my party. Careerism seems to be a favourite word of a certain party within UCD. Do you belong to that Party ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Het-Field wrote:
    Careerism seems to be a favourite word of a certain party within UCD. Do you belong to that Party ?

She already said she's on the KBC's committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Or, like, you could have fun in college and stay away from teh politics.

• Advertisement

but politics is fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

but politics is fun!

False.

Philosophy is fun (phun) though. Everybody should join philsoc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Balls to KBC, Philsoc and LY ! The Archaeology society have swords !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

So does gamesoc, but they're made of carbon-fibre, foam and latex.

Pythia wrote:
    She already said she's on the KBC's committee.

Ah. Thank You Pythia. I rest my case.

I would direct a question at the former poster, exactly how did she come to join the KBC ? Was it a family thing ?

• Advertisement

False.

mmmm what is a tree ?

no, that's false -- mathsoc is (super) fun

Q: What is non-orientable and lives in the ocean?
    A: Möbius Dick...

hahahaha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Yes, because Philosophy is exclusively about trying to figure out what a tree is.

Blush_01 wrote:
    Yes, because Philosophy is exclusively about trying to figure out what a tree is.

It was a joke my lecturer made. I studied the subject for a year. Rest Assured I know its far wider than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I knew you weren't a total plank. (Badum tish!)

Just don't go attacking anyone with your pen!

I'ma gonna miss UCD and one society in particular. :(

no, that's false -- mathsoc is (super) fun

Q: What is non-orientable and lives in the ocean?
    A: Möbius Dick...

hahahaha!!

Lol. A new maths joke. Excellent!

Het-Field wrote:
    Join the young progressive democrats. Forget the poor election results. As a result of being branch chairman last year,

O.k. I apologise if I offended you. You must admit this sounds pretty careerist. It comes across as if you don't care about the party progressing but you progressing. Now you've explained what you mean, I commend you on your hard work. Well done on getting recognition for your hard work. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

I see careerism in all parties in UCD and it really annoys me as a hard working member of one of these organisations. I'm sure it irritates you too.

Now. What the fcuk has my family got to do with a political organisation I'm involved with in college? :confused:

If you must know, my family are not very political. My parents did not talk about politics around us when we were growing up. We formed our own political beliefs as my Labour sympathising brother would tell you! :eek:

Please don't ask about my family again. They're not involved in my politics.

I have friends involved in most political organisations in UCD. I may not agree with their beliefs but I respect them. Please respect mine.

Now let's all get back on topic! have a nice day.

P.S. sorry if I sound a little incoherent, I had a great reply written and I lost it!!:mad:

Dori Duz wrote:
    Now. What the fcuk has my family got to do with a political organisation I'm involved with in college? :confused:

It's well known that many people join or get involved in politics because their family was/is too.
    I don't think it's meant as an insult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

irishelection.com.jpg

^^ LOL!
    I miss you Scraggs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Some member said in the other socieities thread " Pokersoc has died ", I was looking forward to joining this one, or was this a joke?

Lucas,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Please refer all furhter society pimpage to the 'Pimp my Society' thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055134435

I'll let this go for a while for discussing societies but no more pimping! Feel free to copy and paste your posts to the new thread or just link them.

penis.

Seeing as this thread is going to be locked anyway, can I just say I hate you all.

Also on a totally unrelated topic, can we have a seperate thread for Societies and Orgas or whatever they are called. Dont want every societies thread to be hijacked by a KBC v. God and the rest of the world debate! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Grimes wrote:
    Seeing as this thread is going to be locked anyway, can I just say I hate you all.

Also on a totally unrelated topic, can we have a seperate thread for Societies and Orgas or whatever they are called. Dont want every societies thread to be hijacked by a KBC v. God and the rest of the world debate! :D

I second that motion.

Grimes wrote:

I know I was pretty into my politics when I was on the belfield, but God Bless you Grimes. Its been too long

Waay Off Topic

How come I havnt seen your sexy ass in a long long time. Get your bootie over to Belfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

And on that note....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement