Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any1 know the age puppies have to be for the kennels?

Options
  • 14-07-2007 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

6 months ? a year ? or can they be younger than 6 months ?
    if anyone know lemme know thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

I'd say they'll take them at any age once they have all the vaccinations they need (the annual one and kennel cough).

My dog is 9 months old and my local kennel will take her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭marystar

i want a puppy but entire family is going away end of sep, so if i got a 8 week old puppy say next week means puppy would be only 4 and a half months when it has to go ... even if its allowed , is it good idea ? i dont want to upset the puppy by leaving it when its still fairly young ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Yellow Snow

I know my local kennel wont take puppies until they have had their full vaccinations... and I wouldn't want them there myself until they are fully done for the dogs sake!! What about a pet sitter that will call to your home and mind the puppy there? (or in their home??) Works out more expensive but worth it while they're small??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Amy- Cayx

6 weeks i thought

i was 12 when we got out 1st so i dunno how long it took for him to get all the injections and everything .. so what age does a pup normally have all his vaccations by ? can you get them all straight away when u get them at 8 wks old or do they have to be a certain age to get certain vacactions ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Yellow Snow

All the shots can be given within the first couple of months but you will have to go back for completion boosters on around 6 months (and then again once a year thereafter). But i'm no expert, better off just ringing your local vets and they can give you solid advice.

Good luck with your new puppy!!

Oh and I found this, might be of interest to you...
    Between six and sixteen weeks of age, puppies lose the disease protection they received from their mothers and become able to form their own immunity to disease. Unfortunately, we never know when this will happen, so there is often a brief period when puppies have lost the disease protection they received from their mothers but have not yet developed strong immunity of their own. Fortunately, new vaccines for distemper and parvovirus are much more effective than what we had even two or three years ago, and eliminate much of this problem. Also, since the new vaccines work better we don't have to give as many, which saves money.
    Until your puppy is four or five months old, try to prevent contact with stray dogs or sick dogs. Avoid boarding your puppy or taking her places like highway rest stops where lots of other dogs go to the bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

marystar wrote:
    i want a puppy but entire family is going away end of sep, so if i got a 8 week old puppy say next week means puppy would be only 4 and a half months when it has to go ... even if its allowed , is it good idea ? i dont want to upset the puppy by leaving it when its still fairly young ....

It might be best if you wait until you return from holiday before getting your puppy. That way you can have a great holiday and not worry about your dog or miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

so if i got a 8 week old puppy

Just a thought for you too the ideal time to get a puppy would be when they are 12 weeks old AFAIK.....it might be just something to keep in mind for yourself

yeah was thinking about waiting till got back ,, but thats not like until the start of october ... seems so long away :(
    but i was thinking 4 months is prob too young for kennels .. on the net/dog books i read you should get pup between 8-10 weeks ,, i think it depends on the breed ..
    anyway i can cheer myself up by thinking any pup i ll be getting 1st or 2ed week of october, is probably being born around now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

emmm ...

Where do you intend to get "your" pup?

The petshop? Buy and sell or other small adds?

Apart from rescues, any pups that are available just like that any time you want one, are most likely from a puppy farm or some backyard breeder.

Good breeders hardly ever have pups "going spare" as their litters usually get booked in advance.

I would suggest that you find yourself a good breeder and get yourself on the waiting list for the breed of your choice or that you make a few alterations re the age of your dog and get a young one (not necessarily a pup) from a rescue.

Please don't support puppy farms by buying their "produce"

• Advertisement
Advertisement