Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Partition new hard drive !

• 14-07-2007 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I have purchased but not received a new 160gb HDD for my laptop, my plan is to partition is before installing windows and other programs on one side C; and to use the rest for video files...

I have external cases that fit 2.5 drives but want to ask what is the easiest way to partition the drive ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://partitionlogic.org.uk/ might be want you need what OS do you have?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Windows Xp, and Xp pro on a another system !
    Is the software you suggested above simple to use in your opinion ?
    And thanks for your time.

*edit, I see that program runs from CD.. My plan was to slip the new drive in an external case and format and partition it first then slip it into the laptop and then run windows disk ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can't partition a drive unless its hooked up to a system of some sorts as far as I know.

Mike.

it would be hooked up as an external drive ?
    You can format external drives in caddies, so I am assuming(but have never done it) that you can also partition it ?
    If fact I have never partitioned a drive LOL
    But it makes sense to me that you should be able to partition and format an external cased drive ....

anyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Yeh, hook up the new drive externally, and then you can use XP's disk management console to partition and format it whatever way you like.

hum. this is the program found by right clciking My computer. hit Manage then disk managment right ?

Not sure why this was moved to this section, its an upgrade ? and it was in the upgrade section when I posted it ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

sunny2004 wrote:
    hum. this is the program found by right clciking My computer. hit Manage then disk managment right ?

Not sure why this was moved to this section, its an upgrade ? and it was in the upgrade section when I posted it ! :)
    Yes, Disk Management is what you want. Open Local Disks to see the drives connected to your PC. If you can't format it, you may have to bring it online first. Just right click on the volume and choose the option to bring it online. This threw me once! If you're only going to use it on Windows, format with NTFS. If you have the time, do a full format, i.e. not a quick format.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ethernet wrote:
    If you're only going to use it on Windows, format with NTFS. If you have the time, do a full format, i.e. not a quick format.
    If you choose FAT32 then you are limited to a maximum file size of 4GB which can be a bit restrictive for video work. If you want to use it with linux too then have a look at http://www.fs-driver.org/ - though there is now write support for NTFS I'd still be a little nervious about it.

Cheers for your time and I mean that,
    I will be using it for video files and they can be up to 12GB so it wont be fat32..
    I will give it a try in the external case, the idea as stated is to partition it into 2 halves and format it and then slip it into the laptop and reinstall windows xp home onto the laptop then the old 60gb can be used as a spare external drive.
    Fingers crossed ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Since you are going to be installing windows on it anyways.. Why bother partitioning it beforehand... just pop in the drive, begin your install of Windows and create the partition there and format it to NTFS???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Exactly.

Ginger wrote:
    Since you are going to be installing windows on it anyways.. Why bother partitioning it beforehand... just pop in the drive, begin your install of Windows and create the partition there and format it to NTFS???

Well, maybe the reason was I didnt know you could make multiple partitions during windows instillation on a fresh drive...........

The drive arrived today, so the plan was to have say 50gb for programs and misc stuff, and 70gb for raw unedited video files captured from mini dv tapes and whats left say just under 30gb for the completed files prior to burning to dvd..
    Do you think 3 partitions is 2 much ?

Its just to speed up defrags which have to take place prior to burning DVDs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ah ok ..

Well to be honest I would just going with 2 partitions .. Mainly because thats me..

But if 3 is what you (since you will be using it) want then go with it

cheers, NOW is the dreaded time when you have to hold your hands up and say youre not as good as you think !! ME!

I have the harddrive connected in an external drive and have managed to partition the drive into 3 parts and now the formatting.. do I format all as primary ? in fact I have already started doing this so if I am wrong I need to know how to undo it...

Secondly, I managed to make a partition that was only 60mb instead of 60GB so I deleted it, but I think the 60mb just disappeared ! is there a way of getting it back as in incorparating it back into one of the partitions??

Advertisement