Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old are you gamers

Options
  • 14-07-2007 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to get on in years, sigh, into my 30's now and still playing games, I'm sure I still will be in 10 or 20 years time, just wondering what the age spread is for all you gamers, so only vote if you are a gamer !

How old are you 234 votes

15-20
    0% 0 votes
    20-25
    14% 33 votes
    25-30
    38% 91 votes
    30-35
    21% 51 votes
    35-40
    16% 39 votes
    40-45
    6% 15 votes
    > 45
    1% 4 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Im 25, which one do i pick ? :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Which do I go for?

25 to 30, or 30 to 35?

I went for 25 to 30, makes me feel younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I'm 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

16 :d

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

23. Started when I was 4 or 5 on a ZX Spectrum. Don't plan on stopping any time soon. Although, I do find I have a lot less time to devote to it. Shame really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

24 as well (for another 10 days anyway:( )
    I've been gaming seriously since I was about 10 or so. Started to go off it a year ago, then I got a DS and fell in love with it all over again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

19 is the age. Gaming since a young age - probably 7 or 8 officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

20 years old, been playin since the commodore64 came out, so been gaming for a long time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

25 years young yesterday, also started out on a C64

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

21. First game was pacman built into a table in a pub in Kerry, maybe 4 or 5 years of age.

Started gaming properly on the NES, Trog and Low-G man for the nostalgic win.

27, started with a NES,a game boy then a mega drive, a playstation, Dreamcast, playstation 2, PSP, PS3 and a PC.
    I remember low g man, never finished it though, got it for a fiver in dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

40 , but closer to the 41 mark so I had to go for the 40-45 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

19. First PC game was Blake Stone: Aliens Of Gold, had to learn how to use DOS to get it working. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Old enough to remember New Zealand Story in the arcades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

15 I am 16 in febuary:D :D . Began playing mario when I was about 5 had all the old consoles such as the nes and snes because there was a siginificant gap between me and my elder brother 8 and a half years in fact:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I'm 17 and my first console was the Sega Megadrive with Sonic 2, The Lion King and a 3-in-one game. Santa was good that year :)

We soon moved onto the Nintendo 64 several years after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Qwertyboy

I surprised to see the 20-25 category is leading but whatever.
    I suppose the first console I played was one of the old Ataris, in all of its (4 bit)? glory ^ ^

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

christ i thought i was old playing games at 21, this thread has made me feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

20 years old, been playin since the commodore64 came out, so been gaming for a long time :D

I doubt it, the C64 was first released five years before your birth :D (give or take a couple of months)

edit: forgot to add how I started.

First was a second hand Atari 2600. 4 colours. Pong. Combat. Missile Command. Wanky joysticks. Oh yes! I was very young then, can't remember what age exactly.
    Then came an Amiga 600. That was the business. I wasted many hours of my life with that machine. I fondly remember Geoff Crammond's F1 Grand Prix. Quasi-3D graphics and a manual the size of a phone book. Eventually I resorted to making my car indestructible and driving around the track in the wrong direction, smashing the oncoming cars to bits (Hockenheimring was the best for this due to ridiculously long straight sections through the forest). If you hit them fast enough you could split them in two :D. Two formula 1 cars in a head on collision = ~500mph impact! Lemmings, superfrog, zool, skidmarks, a whole bunch of LucasArts adventures, cannon fodder and many others provided hours of amusement.

I held on to the Amiga for several years, then eventually got my first PC - a 486 with 8MB of RAM, struggling to run Windows 95! Doom, TIE Fighter (the super-sexy 640x480 CD version with full digital audio and a buttload of expansion packs, wow!) and Sam & Max Hit The Road were the stars of that machine's days.
    I had a series of other PC's after that (second hand Pentium 200, Pentium 3 866, then followed by a silly amount of AMD based machines when I finally had the cash to regularly ugprade, and now I'm back on my first Intel in ages (C2D E6600). Never had a pentium 4!

I never had any of the 8 or 16 bit consoles in my house, but got to play them a bit with friends. The first console I got since getting my first PC was a PS2. Had an Xbox, GBA, PSP and 360 since, but I rarely play on the consoles. PC is king!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

18 here, I used to play on an Amiga 1500(I think) when I was a Child, but moved onto consoles such as the Snes and N64.
    Never liked Sony consoles(cept for GTA:D), so I went with the PC and haven't turned back since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

24. First game was probably in the arcades about 4-5 years of age. Got a C64 when I was about 7 and turned into a very serious gamer in a short space of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cremo wrote:
    christ i thought i was old playing games at 21, this thread has made me feel better.

I agree. The boards population is older than I expected ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

Im 20 and I started playing games on my brothers C64. But the first game I really got hooked on was Super Mario World for the SNES. Oh I was as happy as a pig in $hit that Christmas:D

Actually the first game i got hooked on was Golden Axe. It used to be in loads of Hotels and Pubs so id play that none stop until my money ran out. Then id cry until my parents gave me more. (That doesnt work for me anymore though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

25, also started on a C64

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I have hazy memories of "Jet Boot Jack" on a black and white telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I remember playing Wolf3D back in the day. That was cool. Played most games on the 486. Played one or two games on the 386. Prince 1, and Duke Nukem 1 & 2 were fun, as was Flashback...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

started playing games on the BBC Micro & also a spectrum 48k (good old basic!!), moved on to a c64, amiga 500, then a 500+, amiga 1200, megadrive / games boy, around 1995 moved on to a 486 dx100, my first pentium was a 200MMX, the a p4 1.4ghz, & then finally my amd 64 3800, I'll be upgreading to a shiny new quad core in a few months I suspect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

you should really change that poll option to 26-30 , I'm 25 myself and theres no way I'm putting myself in the 25-30 yr old bracket just yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

24, and my first console was the atari 2600, which I think my parents bought when I was born and just kept it for me untill I was about 8. So while everyone else had the graphical frippery of the megadrive and the snes, i was enjoying pacman and river raid in an amazing 4 colours. Joy.

Advertisement