Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old are you gamers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

28 but find I now have less time to play games especially long games...lucky I have a ds!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

21, a child of the Megadrive - though I do remember playing on an old Colecovision aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Qwertyboy wrote:
    I surprised to see the 20-25 category is leading but whatever.
    Not really surprising :) I guess a lot of those poeple would have started in the late 80's early 90's when the whole gaming thing started getting really popular, what with the game boys / nes / snes / mega drives.

Could it have something to do with games maturing as well as us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

pretty nice bell curve there :), I started serious gaming on an Amstrad 64 - commando, harrier attack, space hawks, way of the exploding fist, beach head , roland on the ropes, oh mummy - http://youtube.com/watch?v=kTRfIUMbTas hah that bring back memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

20 here, started off with the Amiga 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

23 here. Started with a C64 when I was about 5. New Zealand story was the first game I got hooked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

20 atm, put in for 20-25. (Way to screw up the poll ya big Moose :p ). Can't remember my first game, I was too young but I know we had some weird console with some snooker game and I played that but my dad was a PC gamer and my fondest memories are being his "Co-pilot" ( Now I realise he just wanted all the gaming time to himself, the bastard! ) as we played through C&C or Desert Strike. We even had to upgrade from 2mb Ram to 4mb Ram for C&C :p.

A lot of my games were played in other houses (no, I wasn't a user, just poor! :p), I used to play the original Prince of Persia whenever I went up to my grannies house (and my dad picked up the new version for me when it came out in memory of this!). First console I bought was a PSOne, although I'm sure we have some form of Atari, I was just too young to remember the brand/model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

38 (:eek: ), and my first gaming machine was the good auld Spectrum 48K with the squidgy keys (mind you, it was able to stand up to the neighbour's toddler having a tap dance on top) - fondest memories are of typing in about 2000 lines of code from Sinclair 48K magazine to play some pyramid puzzle game, 'Elite' (still a classic) with the weird plastic lens dongle, 'Commando' that gave me blisters on my big thumb from pressing fire on the flimsy plastic joystick, graduated(?) onto an Atari 2400 for a while, then took a break for a few years before getting into PC gaming, Nintendo NES, then a PS1, PS2 and now back on PC (mainly).

I have always found gaming to be a great stress reliever and pure escapism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

24 here.

C64,Mega Drive*,N64,Gameboy Colour,PS2,Xbox,Xbox 360*,Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS*

*still currently posess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

People always get age polls wrong.

Anyway... I'm 29 and I would have started out gaming on a Vic-20 that I got around 1982.

I then worked my way through the C-64 and the Amiga 500 before moving on to PCs...

The first console I ever got was the Dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

27 and playing since I got my Amstrad whatever.. Can't even remember the model anymore.. Then went to a Sega Megadrive, 32X, a 486 PC, 350Mhz PII, PS1, 1.8GHz P4 Laptop, 3.0GHZ P4 Laptop, 2.8Ghz P4 Desktop, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Dell Xps Gen2 Laptop, Athlon 64 X2 Desktop, C2D Desktop and finally a Dell XPS M1710 laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I'm 21. I honestly don't think video games are an age thing. Look at dvd's you wouldn't call buying or watching dvd's an age related passtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

23 gigiddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

OhI forgot to mention besides the early nintendo consoles my brother also got
    N64,ps1,dreamcast(crimnally ignored by people),gba,gba sp,gamecube,xbox(I won it in a television competition along with a really rare game called steel batallion:D :D ),ps2,P.C,ds,ds lite,360 and a wii so basically my house was full of consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

28. Started when I was 6 with an Atari 2600 and haven't stopped since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

38 - Started with my mates ZX81 then persuaded my parents that a ZX spectrum was the way of the future - back in the days when games magazines had the game code in the form of pages and pages of hex for you to type in and run!

The scary thing is that some of you think I am taking the piss!

moved onto a spectrum 128K, followed by an atari ST(my first bank loan), didn't like it much so I traded it in against an Amiga.

Then when I needed to study computers the evil that is a PC in the form of an IBM PS2 running DR DOS arrived.

After that it was self build overclocking and watercooling all the way up to todays E6600 with 8800 GTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

In defense of the poll it is actually fine, 15 - 20 does not include 20, if you are 20 you should vote 20 - 25, likewise 20 - 25 does not include 25, it's very straightforward ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

22 in September for me. Being playing since we got a NES back in the late 80's (I was about 4), then my bro became the country champion and won a SNES with 14 games back in 92', 2 Gameboys, N64, PS2. We got a PC in 98' so we stuck with the games on that till the present day, to which I got my laptop now. The NES, SNES, & Gameboy are still in mint condition so I love pulling 'em out the odd time, especially the SNES.

I always loved going to the arcades back in the day so I spend most my time either playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or arcade games gone past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

you 23 and 19 year olds are so lucky in the "prime" of your life......da dum dish

i'll get my coat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cremo wrote:
    christ i thought i was old playing games at 21, this thread has made me feel better.
    I thought you were 16/17!

Anyway, I'm 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

32 and counting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Am I right in saying that the people who are about mid 30s would've been the original gamers back when it all started with Pong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I never did play pong back in the day, my frsit pc/console was a bbc computer and then an atari and amiga.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Sarky wrote:
    Old enough to remember New Zealand Story in the arcades.

Wow, that brings me back. Had that on the Amiga.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

21 =d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

36- glad to se i'm not the oldest!!!:D

started on the old atari console (can't remember which one, it was the only one at the time) with pacman and space invaders, and a crazy tank duel game, then moved on a few years later to the zx spectrum and a trusty tape recorder which took about 20 minutes to load a game which had a one in 3 chances of crashing before the end of the tape.

aaahhh the crap old days when we were patient!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Here is some interesting facts.....

Sixty-nine percent of American heads of households play computer and video games.

The average game player is 33 years old and has been playing games for 12 years

The average age of the most frequent game buyer is 40 years old. In 2006, 93 percent of computer game buyers and 83 percent of console game buyers were over the age of 18.

I know this is american facts but i would say ireland(europe) would come close!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I thought you were 16/17!

Anyway, I'm 21.
    lol couldn't of been that age considering i was playing at wcg against you in cs, had to be at least 18 at that time :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

22 here. ,playing since about 7 on atari, megadrive, super nintendo etc.,

Advertisement