Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread Achievement!

• 14-07-2007 6:40pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭

Today I learnt how to make a harvest loaf and I thought I would show you the results.

Some of it has been cut off from the left side so it's not it's full shape and the blob at the bottom was my attempt to style a mouse to eating the sheaf but it didn't quite work.

breadpictm8.jpg

If anyone is interested in the method and recipe let me know and I'll post it up.

EDIT: I might also try and get my partner to take a better pic so you can see the detail as my hands are a bit shakey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Looks tasty - what's in it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

It's just a simple white yeast bread. The quantities I have for it are huge though as it's designed to feed a crowd or be used as a display piece for a harvest festival.

The fun bit is making all the ears of corn at the top.

3lbs (1350g) strong white flour
    .5oz (15g) dried yeast (That's about 2 of the little packets.)
    1 Tblsp salt
    1 tsp sugar (optional, I think it's nicer without)
    2 Tblsp oil
    1.5 pts (900ml) tepid water (make with .5 pt boiling and 1 pt cold)

Mix flour, yeast, salt and sugar together. Add the oil to the water and stir into the dry ingrediants.

Knead dough for 5-10 mins until smooth and elastic. Put it into a large clean bowl and then place the bowl in an oiled plastic bag and leave in a warm place till it has doubled in size and springs back when prodded.

For the large loaf it needs 15-20 mins in a 220 C oven reducing to 160 for another 40-45 mins.

You can make less than this and make rolls and smaller loaves out of it. We used some left over dough this morning to make fresh rolls. They took 15mins at 220.

The bread has an egg glaze brushed over it to make it look all shiney.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It does look good tSubh

Best served with?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

The fruits of the harvest :)

So far we've enjoyed it just with butter, jam, ham, cheese, the usual suspects really.

It was nice as an alternative to spuds or rice last night with dinner too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

EDIT: I might also try and get my partner to take a better pic so you can see the detail as my hands are a bit shakey.
    i would, but i eated it

Well, we still have most of it, but it's pointless photographing at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

Very tasty achievement!! Thanks for the big chunk, half of it's gone now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Same here, works well with honey.

(Yes I'm strange) :)

Advertisement