Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting SATA stripe onto new motherboard

Options
  • 14-07-2007 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

OK, before I start I know a bit about this kind of stuff, but not a hugh amount. I've had a problem with my PC where it kept crashing for no apparent reason, no error nothing just freeze, even sometimes before it got to start windows... I've tried everything (RAM, power supply etc..) and the only conclusion I can come to is that its the motherboard... so I plan to buy another.
    The problem I have is that I have two 250GB SATA drives linked so that they share data, I need to keep whats on the drives and I can't copy to anything because my computer keeps crashing.
    What I want to know is that when I move the Stripe to a new motherboard will it still be intact or will I have to reformat?
    Any help appreciated, Thanks

EDIT: Maybe I didn't use the right terminology when I call it a stripe, I have the two connected so that they are read as just one 500GB drive. Also they are partitioned into one 100GB and one 400GB.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Julez wrote:
    What I want to know is that when I move the Stripe to a new motherboard will it still be intact or will I have to reformat?
    Any help appreciated, Thanks

I've done it, so it is possible. It'll be easier if the RAID controller it's going on to is the same manufacturer as the past one. If not you may need to remove the volume identifier that the controller puts on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

These are identical boards through RMA??

Advertisement