Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

letter from 3 debt collectors

• 14-07-2007 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

right lads,

Im back home from the uk for a bit and found lettters that had arrived from 3,

one was for my talk 200 bill (which i paid ages ago) they said in that letter they will cut me off and call debt collectors etc, even though i had that bill paid even before they sent the letter out.

anyway,

i also had a letter regarding my famous bill for broadband 3000.

i got a letter from NCO, apparently the people who collect money on 3's behalf!

i think my mum actually sent one of these letters back to where it came from, but i have two more in front of me.

they are from NCO, with an address in preston, uk.

no signature at the end of the letter and the number they said ring regarding the bill (€1,605.84!) was not much use.

my mum rung this number ( i was not there to call anyone) and she could not get onto anyone, there was no answering machine or nothing and she said they hung up twice. ), seems like a scam or something.

i stopped using broadband on the 12th of may, where they got the bill from i dont know.

here are the bills from my statements.

total due by 02 may €1,516.86

total due by 01 june €1,561.35

total due by 02 july €1,555.84

then the aforementioned letters from the debt colletors or whoever they are are dated 28 june & 09 july. for €1,605.84

now, i have no idea where these numbers are coming from. and i sure am not paying this obscene amount!

so, what do i do from here? i am not using this data sim no more as 3 obviously have screwed up my bills big time and how am i to know what they will charge me again?

____

ps: on my march bill, i can see the amount i over used from my quota
    -1,231,754,963. so thats 1.2 gigabytes. then is says the charge for this is -€475.632.

but of course customer service said in february when i found out i exceeded my quota that they would waive it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

The amount is incuring interest on it so pay quickly before it adds up like mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

*Sighs*

No offence, mate, but I really don't care. Can't you keep this to one thread? If it's gone to a Debt Collector, it's serious. Don't bother dealing with Three. Once a Debt Collector has it, it means they (meaning Three) have sold the debt to the collector, and if the DC doesn't get the money, it'll get very messy on your credit history.

And try to stick to the one thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

chrislad wrote:
    *Sighs*

No offence, mate, but I really don't care. Can't you keep this to one thread? If it's gone to a Debt Collector, it's serious. Don't bother dealing with Three. Once a Debt Collector has it, it means they (meaning Three) have sold the debt to the collector, and if the DC doesn't get the money, it'll get very messy on your credit history.

And try to stick to the one thread.

I would agree with you.This should have been sorted out with 3 itself as the debt collector will never listen to you about issues regarding 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I'm not sure it's incurring interest - as the biil seems to be fluctuating up and down..

legs - you got some sound advice in the last thread you made about this (i.e. paying installments and marking them "under protest"), I would suggest you rewind and look up this advice and follow it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Irish Wolf wrote:
    I'm not sure it's incurring interest - as the biil seems to be fluctuating up and down..

legs - you got some sound advice in the last thread you made about this (i.e. paying installments and marking them "under protest"), I would suggest you rewind and look up this advice and follow it..

Again, as someone else has pointed out, it's probably too late for that. Three have got their money from the debt collection agency. They won't want anything to do it with it as it's not the debt collection agencies money to claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Three have also set these guys on me for around €130..............I rang them to say i wouldn't be paying and to find out if they even have jurisdiction in The Republic of Ireland...........I couldn't get a straight answer and I am pretty sure they don't have.

It just Threes style to not employ Debt Collectors in the country where the "debt" is.

As a side note, the customer service at NCO is SHOCKING (No surprise) I asked for the name of the person I was speaking to, was given a false name under protest and then when i asked if they had license in ROI he hung up.

Top this with a phone number you ring that does not get answered.........not even a answering machine..........Then when it does get answered, they hang up without saying anything..........you can hear people in the background.

I am praying this gets taken to court, I knew that law degree would come in handy on day.

As for the legs11 bashing thats going on, I am not going to jump on that but I would say that legs11 case (from what i know of it) doesn't help people like me who have genuine grievances with Three.

Also please use Caps at the start of sentences. You come across as a teen but I remember you saying you were in your 30's in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

I am going to my solicitor this week about this. 3 are just gobshytes.

'as for the legs11 bashing thats going on, I am not going to jump on that but I would say that legs11 case (from what i know of it) doesn't help people like me who have genuine grievances with Three'

> what's this supposed to mean? your saying that I dont have genuine problems with 3 then or I am just making this up, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yawn.......did this realy need a new thread?

I followed the last thread and you got all the advice you need there.
    You are finished with 3 as they have sold the debt on and you didn't manage to stop it from going this far so for all your complaining on boards you didn't achieve anything. I hope to God you are not a solicitor going by the letter you sent.

Only tip I have is check out if the debt collection agency have jurisdiction here.

People here took the effort to help so at least make your posts easy to read(CAPS LOCK)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Does a collection agency need to have jurisdiction to operate in Ireland? I always thought anyone could work as a debt collector.

Legs11 my guess is the solicitor will advise you to pay the debt, although they may try to delay the process for you buy taking 3 to court, but that'd be a legal mine field. (Having said that I don't have any qualification in law).

Can't wait to see how this thread go...
    As a side note, the customer service at NCO is SHOCKING
    They are a collections agency, what do you expect:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Collections agencies like 3 uses cannot mess with your Irish Credit Bureau record as they will not be registered with them. That is a guarantee. They will need to start court proceedings in Ireland and get a judgement to do you any real harm. I would be waiting for a solicitors letter Legs11.

• Advertisement

I will tell my solicitor all about them and wht exactly happened, i was told 100% the fee was to be waived as far back as february. also some customer service rep said if i could pay half of this fee back in may! they have no idea where they are going with the fees they want, the figures keep changing and are not consistent. I think I have a good chance to get a leg (excuse the pun) over these cowboys.

so the opinion here is that 3 should have debt collectors in Ireland ?

will let ye kno how tuesday goes, Im busy job hunting and chasing up interviews and have not much time for 3. needless to say I want to wash my hands out of them pronto

They will not take you to court here, it would be far too much effort for them, even for €1000 or whatever it is. They are not based here and I am pretty sure (I will check) they cant sell the debt onto an Irish collection agent.

Legs, I dont know if your problems are genuine or not, your story has been so all over the place its hard to know what really happened...........people saying you were using torrents and thats how the bill got to be the way it did........Its not something I really want or need to know anything more about to be honest.

I really hope you do get good legal advice, although most of the advice you have got on here so far has been sound advice.

I too know how frustrating it is to communicate with Three about anything other than simple requests so I sympathise in that respect and wish you the best of luck with it, but put it to bed as soon as possible, its taken up far too much of your and the boards time already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

They have no jurisdiction here and that is a fact.

My friend if you think "3" are commiting fraud as it looks like they are ,maybe bring them to the small claims court but do not give them a penny.

I for one would never now goto that filth in "3", O2 all the way.

BTW Meteor also use UK Debt collectors and they are dodgy scum at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Flying wrote:

My friend if you think "3" are commiting fraud as it looks like they are ,maybe bring them to the small claims court but do not give them a penny.

I for one would never now goto that filth in "3", O2 all the way.

BTW Meteor also use UK Debt collectors and they are dodgy scum at the best of times.

Jurisdiction to do what?

All a debt collection agency will do is send someone round to your house and then instigate legal proceedings if that is unsuccessful.

We are not in the US where you have licensed people like Dog the Bounty Hunter driving round in jeeps and reading people their rights.

Someone will come to your door and try to pester the money from you. They have to observe the law as anyone would and you can ask them to leave. Ignore them to death. The company I have worked for has had many customers who simply refuse to pay the debt collector and after two or three attempts, the debt collectors get the message. If the debt is large enough, they will instigate court proceedings and retrieve it that way. If it is not, they will write back and say they cannot recover the debt and it is most likely written off.

If this is going to court, it will look better if, as I previously suggested, you make some payment under protest so that you will appear to the judge that you have not been ignoring it.

You may wish to speak to MABS. They could contact the creditor on your behalf. Someone needs to point out to them that if they continue to let your bill accrue interest then they are only creating an amount which will most likely not be paid off if it goes to court.

Finally, I am extremely happy with the "filth" that 3 mobile offer me. My N73 handset is great and inexpensive, mobile broadband is brilliant, AFT lets me send texts for 1c on it and I find my price plan very reasonable. Having suffered under Vodafone in the past, I think it is horses for courses.

99% of the time debt collectors stick to telephone and written methods. If they do call to the door you can ask them to leave and not return. If they refuse to leave or if they come back the Gardai can remove them. As trespass is a civil wrong and the damages that you would get would exceed the debt, the debt collectors know the score and they will not return once you tell them to buzz off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To the original poster:

You are allowing this to get completely out of hand. The debt collection agency will not really care how you got into debt with 3 all they'll care about is recovering the money. Three will no longer deal with you at all, as they've sold the debt and no longer have any further business with you. You've been written off their books.

This is pretty serious stuff, you'd really want want to get advice from MABS or someone who is used to dealing with debt asap. Ignoring letters from debt collection agencies is not a particularly good idea as it will just cause the situation to escalate out of control.

You should have resolved any billing issues with three before getting to this stage.

There is some new legislation that makes it an offence for any company/trader to sell on a debt while a bill is still in dispute. Check details of this with the National Consumer Agency. It could possibly provide you with some protection, however as I do not know the full details of your situation other than what you've posted online, I have no idea if it's applicable in your partiuclar situation.

I would really think you should address this problem a.s.a.p. as there is a serious possibility that your credit file could be tarnished.

Even if the debt collection agency isn't in the Rep. of Ireland, the fact that 3 have basically written you off as a bad debt could show up on your Irish Credit Bureau file.

I'd suggest that you seek proper advice from MABS, the National Conumer Agency and possibly a solicitor. There's really very little you can do by posting on boards about it as none of us profesional experts on consumer law or debt management issues.

I would really think you should address this problem a.s.a.p. as there is a serious possibility that your credit file could be tarnished.

Even if the debt collection agency isn't in the Rep. of Ireland, the fact that 3 have basically written you off as a bad debt could show up on your Irish Credit Bureau file.

3 are not a member of the ICB so it would not show on any ICB report.
    http://www.icb.ie/membership.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

legs11 wrote:
    I am going to my solicitor this week about this. 3 are just gobshytes.

'as for the legs11 bashing thats going on, I am not going to jump on that but I would say that legs11 case (from what i know of it) doesn't help people like me who have genuine grievances with Three'

> what's this supposed to mean? your saying that I dont have genuine problems with 3 then or I am just making this up, eh?

LEGS 1.6k -there is a huge question mark over whether or not you have a genuine grievance, which you yourself have consistently refused to answer! Did you or did you not download large amounts of data, flagrantly disregarding the rules and incurring at least 1GB of overspend in what could be described a a cavalier attitude to the bundle that you knew you were paying for? I have asked you time and time again to address this particular question and you never give other than a Martin McGuinness answer! (this is no way means that I think you should have to pay this obscene amount of money but we would like to get to the bottom of whether or not you were in some way responsible for incurring some, part or all of the debt!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Flying wrote:
    so how do they get jurisdicton?

Where do they apply for a licence or get jurisdiction?

Where is it written in the statute books, regarding collection agencies?

Personnaly. I'd love to see this go to couort, i'd happily spend my day off in a drab courtroom just to watch Legs11 in action.

gillo wrote:
    Does a collection agency need to have jurisdiction to operate in Ireland? I always thought anyone could work as a debt collector.

Legs11 my guess is the solicitor will advise you to pay the debt, although they may try to delay the process for you buy taking 3 to court, but that'd be a legal mine field. (Having said that I don't have any qualification in law).

Can't wait to see how this thread go...

They are a collections agency, what do you expect:confused:

In the past I have had a crowd in Bray phoning me about a sterling issue with Barclaycard: apart from the fact that I had no such debt, I told them where to go, laughing at them for their stupidity in purchasing such a debt and told them that if they ever contacted me again by phone or letter, I would insert a very large object in them (© Basil Fawlty 1975). That was the end of that.

• Advertisement

legs11 wrote:
    I will tell my solicitor all about them and wht exactly happened, i was told 100% the fee was to be waived as far back as february. also some customer service rep said if i could pay half of this fee back in may! they have no idea where they are going with the fees they want, the figures keep changing and are not consistent. I think I have a good chance to get a leg (excuse the pun) over these cowboys.

so the opinion here is that 3 should have debt collectors in Ireland ?

will let ye kno how tuesday goes, Im busy job hunting and chasing up interviews and have not much time for 3. needless to say I want to wash my hands out of them pronto

Legs, darling, that is not a pun! :-)

TBH, I wouldn't give a flying **** about them, I have no idea why you get so worked up about nada. However, you too, have got to come clean about your responsibility here.

Bond-007 wrote:
    99% of the time debt collectors stick to telephone and written methods. If they do call to the door you can ask them to leave and not return. If they refuse to leave or if they come back the Gardai can remove them. As trespass is a civil wrong and the damages that you would get would exceed the debt, the debt collectors know the score and they will not return once you tell them to buzz off.

Splendid advice!

gillo wrote:

Personnaly. I'd love to see this go to couort, i'd happily spend my day off in a drab courtroom just to watch Legs11 in action.

I'd go too, we could all make a day of it! Right, your honour and lads of the jury, let me tell you about these cowboys..........

I apologise for my flippant use of a capital R in "Right" just now. It should of course been 'right'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'd get some proper advice though - these guys if nothing else can become extremely annoying. You can expect a flurry of calls, letters etc.

Particularly if they have a landline number for you.

Solair wrote:
    I'd get some proper advice though - these guys if nothing else can become extremely annoying. You can expect a flurry of calls, letters etc.

Particularly if they have a landline number for you.

The bin is for those (great for lighting the fire) and who the feck answers/uses a landline? :-) Honestly , I hate these whores who make money out of other peoples' misery and have no compunction in telling them where to go.

culabula wrote:
    I'd go too, we could all make a day of it! Right, your honour and lads of the jury, let me tell you about these cowboys..........

I would be up for this too, if only to see what Legs looks like.............I bet we all have a mental picture of him opening these letters from NCO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

I have followed the various thread on this and to behonest I think Legs11 may be a little economical with the truth.

As far as I can see he owes this money to 3 and is refusing to pay it based on the lack of a real time usage monitor.

I pay my gas, eircom, vodafone, ESB bills with out a usage monitor that records in real time.

As far as I can make out (your english does not make it too easy to get the full picture) you owed the money to 3 who subsequently sold the debt on. I have no knowledge regarding the legality of debt collectors and the state boarders. However I am sure that 3 as a multinational telecommunications company, having invested billions in the irish market would probably have looked in to this issue and estabilished that they can sell the debt outside of the state and within the EU. The same goes for a debt collection agency who take up a contract with 3, they probably have looked in to the legal side of doing business in Ireland.

Over all, to me it looks like Legs11 has made a very expensive mistake with regards to downloading some TV programmes and now is trying to blame everyone else to avoid paying up.

Surely you knew that over the space of a weekend of downloading files with clearly marked sizes that you were going to exceed your limit, even if the time lagged usage monitor was giving a different figure, you must have known it wasn't accurate .. but chose to keep going.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at any court hearing, judging by your letter writing skills the judge could have some fun trying to decipher what in the world you are on about !

My younger brother who is a junior cert teacher was going to copy the body of the letter to use in a class room as an example of how not to write a letter!

whippet wrote:
    However I am sure that 3 as a multinational telecommunications company, having invested billions in the irish market would probably have looked in to this issue and estabilished that they can sell the debt outside of the state and within the EU. The same goes for a debt collection agency who take up a contract with 3, they probably have looked in to the legal side of doing business in Ireland.

You are putting way too much faith in peoples ability to do their jobs correctly and assuming Three have a level of respect for the Irish market that is just not the case.

whippet wrote:
    My younger brother who is a junior cert teacher was going to copy the body of the letter to use in a class room as an example of how not to write a letter!

Classic!

• Advertisement

OBJECTION YOUR HONOUR!!!!!!!!!!

3 told me on the phone, back in february they would waive this fee, alot of people who reply to my threads fail to understand these words, maybe I am not spelling correctly?!!

also I am told I owe 400 odd euro for my EXCESS usage, (march bill) so I have no idea where they go and decided to bump this figure to over 1,500euro.

I might just leave this drag on a bit and see what happens, I will see how these debt letters do for starting the fire, the weather is terrible. I dont think they have a land line, and they cant ring my mobile, i have **** coverage in my area, the problem still isnt fixed.

I was onto 3 about this today and they are sending a new sim card (via courier i presume). I told them I want to wash my hands clean from 3 and just about restrained from calling them a shower of w******, I have to pay 190e to clean up my talk 200 anytim bill.

And live happily ever after..........

* opens another debt letter.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement