Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio's

• 14-07-2007 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi. I dunno where to post this so Id post it here. I bought 2 way radios on eBay last week, they claimed to be 26mile/42km working distance. I know this is over flat land/sea, but the greatest distance I can achieve is under a mile. They're made by Midland(product code GXT700) and are 5watt power and work on frequencies around 467mHz I think. Does anyone know can I boost the signal strength even slightly?
    Thanks in advance, if theyre is another forum for this tell me
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I suspected these radios wouldn't be legal for use in Ireland (or the UK for that matter) so I did a Google and indeed that's the case. They are GMRS radios that are intended for the North American market, and even need a licence over there to use beyond an ERP of 0.5 watts.

My advice would be to forget about them and look for a PMR 446 two-way radio set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AFAIK these are illegal to use here in Ireland. They use a system called FRS or Family Radio Service, which is a US based system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service). In the UK these frequencies are used by some Emergency Services and can cause interference. I don't know about here, but I wouldn't want to chance it.

There's a similar system here in Ireland and the rest of Europe called PMR446 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446).

In short, you can't just go around transmitting on any old frequency, the radio spectrum here is regulated, and for a good reason, and buying this kind of stuff from eBay is just asking for trouble. I'd send them back and get your money back, if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

ok, for several reasons I think I'll sell these on... Can anyone give me another decent brand/model that does good range, and is legal here.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

SPDUB wrote:
    No such article(s) at those links
    Take the bracket ) off the end of the link.

This really isn't the right forum for your query, but I am not sure where else to put it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

byte wrote:
    Take the bracket ) off the end of the link.

This really isn't the right forum for your query, but I am not sure where else to put it at the moment.
    Maybe in Tech -> Consumer Electronics -> Hobby Radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

SPDUB wrote:
    No such article(s) at those links
    Corrected .. the automatic tagging of URL's seems to go a bit wrong sometimes and includes characters that aren't in the URL itself.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

gerryo wrote:
    Maybe in Tech -> Consumer Electronics -> Hobby Radio
    Aha!

Moved to Hobby Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

So can anyone give me another decent brand/model that does good range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

You won't get good range on any of them for 2 reasons. 1 : they are limited in power to make sure they do not cause interference 2: they use frequencies that are essentially line of sight usage. In day to day terms that means a mile range would be good.

EDIT: ^^^ ignore those comments if you live on top of a mountain though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The original suppliers lied.

Unless you are up high with CB on USB you won't get anything close to 20 miles licence free, For more range you need a Wireless Experimenter Licence (Radio Amateur), but even then on car battery (50W radio) or home base.

Though I have a handheld that can do 1500 Miles @ 5W during the day easily, it can't easily do 25 miles. The 500 Miles is "skip" to Scandanavia or Eastern Europe on 18MHz. Licence required. And that was using a 21' whip. A 25W rig will do similar on an 8ft whip, but the 24V battery back & the radio are fairly heavy on the shoulder strap.

Advertisement