Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sligo Trains

Options
  • 14-07-2007 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

I went to see the new Sligo train today. I'm not usually into trains but seeing as I do the journey to Dublin quite often I thought I'd have a look.
    Very impressed so far, although you can't tell for sure until you do the journey.
    I got carried away and took a photo or twenty, they are here if anyone wants a look:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/810308881/

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They look good. When do they come into use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

One of the workers said sometime in August, another said the second week in August.
    We'll only get one at a time but they are hoping in the end to have seven services running (every two hours) every day between Sligo and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Thanks for posting up the pics MagnumLady. Are the new seats more comfortable than the current ones? I can't relax in them seats at all and usually end up wishing for the older train!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'll be finishing up in Dublin in either the end of August or the end of September so I probably won't get to use them that much. :(

Shamrok wrote:
    Thanks for posting up the pics MagnumLady. Are the new seats more comfortable than the current ones? I can't relax in them seats at all and usually end up wishing for the older train!

The seats are sort of the same as the current trains, the good thing is that there is more leg room and most of the seats have tables, so its more roomy that the trains we have at the moment (I hate those trains!)
    Last time we came back from Dublin we got an old train and it was great!

• Advertisement

The current trains are nothing but a joke. Is there space for more people in these new trains as there was always a problem getting seats at busy times on the current trains.

The current trains are nothing but a joke. Is there space for more people in these new trains as there was always a problem getting seats at busy times on the current trains.

I'd say roughly about the same amount of seats, but there were only 4 carriages today and its capable of having 6 carriages.

magnumlady wrote:
    I'd say roughly about the same amount of seats, but there were only 4 carriages today and its capable of having 6 carriages.
    Well having six would solve the lack of seats problem. I'm glad to see that the seats have tables (real tables and not the crap they have on the current trains).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Did you check the heat is working?! I had to travel on the old commuter trains for the last six months once a a month and not once was the heat on. They are only supposed to do short runs those trains. The most frustrating thing is that they always blame somone else if there isnt heat, dining trolley, a train etc.
    They'll be running out of people to be blaming. Half expecting them to start on Craig Doyle soon. ((They never sent him on the bone shaker that they gave us on the Sligo line on them ads):D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, i hope they're more comfy than the current ones.

Made the mistake of taking the train up to Dublin last year when i was going to Brussels. No room for my baggage anywhere - had to place it by the doorway and keep an eye out at every station in case it was knocked over (or even less likely considering the weight of it, stolen). The seats are really uncomfortable too.

The old train was filthy and was barely track-worthy. But i for one enjoyed the large table with the two couch type seats either side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I find that I fly or drive to Dublin anymore unless I have business in or near the IFSC!

Loved the train when I was young but not anymore!

Hopefully these new trains will be more comfy than the current and will not break down like the old ones!

basquille wrote:
    But i for one enjoyed the large table with the two couch type seats either side.
    Well going by the pictures the vast majority of these seats have tables. I think they have seats similar to the current ones.

Yep the majority of seats have tables, although there are still quite a few without. The seats are very similar to the current trains.
    Didn't check the heating although the air conditioning was on, we were told the temp is maintain at 21 degrees.
    Theres a video here: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=E5_X1msqWto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Thank christ, i rarely get the train due to college in galway, but on the occasions that i do i like to be able to relax.

Looks nice from that Video.

magnumlady wrote:
    Damn work and their blocking of youtube. Must take a look at this at the weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

New train looks good. :)

It smells like a new car, I daresay that will wear off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

omg about time!!i did that triip twice a week wen i was at college last yea rit put me off thank god there's somethign new for this year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Looks very nice. Is there a buffet car or somewhere to get a tea or coffee?

• Advertisement

No sign of a buffet car, although it was only 4 carriages on Saturday. I'm guessing they will still use that trolley although how they are going to get the trolley down the corridor I'll never know.

We're still way behind the other routes though!

I was on a train from Dublin to Limerick Junction.

A couple of impressive things that don't happen on the Sligo Line:
    -CIE employee directing ppl to spare seats on the train
    -A person periodically passing through the carraiges to pick up litter from the tables.

I was quite impressed by this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Wow. I may start using the train again. I had given up on the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gillie wrote:
    -CIE employee directing ppl to spare seats on the train
    -A person periodically passing through the carraiges to pick up litter from the tables.
    Both are very hit and miss. Reserved seats are regularly sat in and the staff won't move people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

magnumlady wrote:
    No sign of a buffet car, although it was only 4 carriages on Saturday. I'm guessing they will still use that trolley although how they are going to get the trolley down the corridor I'll never know.

There is no buffet car in the 3 car sets only vending machines. The 6 car sets coming later in the year will have a buffet car but they may not be put on the Sligo line.

These 22000 class only come in 3 and 6 car sets but they can be coupled in different combinations to a max of 9/12 cars, depending on the max station length on the line on which they are being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

I have been following this in great detail, so I can give some details.

The new railcars are proper Intercity railcars designed for long haul use. The trains presently in use on the Sligo line are of a Commuter grade, designed to pack in commuters like sardines over very short distances - they were never designed to be appropriate for any kind of long distance service and that is clearly stated in their specifications. IE pulled a similar stunt on the Rosslare-Dublin line as well.

So yes, these trains will be a dramatic improvement. Like night and day. The trainsets come in 3 car and 6 car configurations.

But it gets better. The set in Sligo was one of the 3 coach types. These have standard class seating only and minimal catering.

The 6 coach sets have a first class section, full catering, and some other facilities in addition.

Sligo will recieve one of these 6 coach sets, which I expect will be doing high peak services.

In addition, they have the capability to run at 100MPH, whereas both the trains Commuter trains they replaced, and the locomotive hauled "Mark 2d" carraiges they replace were limited to 75MPH. This could open the way for higher speed and faster journies as well.

It's a new day for the much abused Sligo line.

I went there on the show day, and I did a photo-report of my own here.

Victor wrote:
    Both are very hit and miss. Reserved seats are regularly sat in and the staff won't move people.

Oh!
    Good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

SeanW wrote:
    I have been following this in great detail, so I can give some details.

The new railcars are proper Intercity railcars designed for long haul use. The trains presently in use on the Sligo line are of a Commuter grade, designed to pack in commuters like sardines over very short distances - they were never designed to be appropriate for any kind of long distance service and that is clearly stated in their specifications. IE pulled a similar stunt on the Rosslare-Dublin line as well.

So yes, these trains will be a dramatic improvement. Like night and day. The trainsets come in 3 car and 6 car configurations.

But it gets better. The set in Sligo was one of the 3 coach types. These have standard class seating only and minimal catering.

The 6 coach sets have a first class section, full catering, and some other facilities in addition.

Sligo will recieve one of these 6 coach sets, which I expect will be doing high peak services.

In addition, they have the capability to run at 100MPH, whereas both the trains Commuter trains they replaced, and the locomotive hauled "Mark 2d" carraiges they replace were limited to 75MPH. This could open the way for higher speed and faster journies as well.

It's a new day for the much abused Sligo line.

I went there on the show day, and I did a photo-report of my own here.

The only thing about the 100mph top speed is that not much of the track on the Sligo line is of a high enough quality for 100mph rolling stock. Only a few sections I belive are cleared for this so journey times for the near future wil be around the same until the line gets upgraded.

We were told that as Sligo only has a single track they will only run them at 75mph, but on the Cork track they tried one out and it ran at 100mph.

• Advertisement

magnumlady wrote:
    We were told that as Sligo only has a single track they will only run them at 75mph, but on the Cork track they tried one out and it ran at 100mph.

I'd love if they could run them at 100mph on the Sligo track, it would shorten the journey down a bit.

Advertisement