Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sligo Trains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Well my mum was on a few weeks ago and the toilet overflowed and dirty water flowed down through the carraige, which was nice especially for the people with bags on the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Yes the toilets are atrocious alot of the time. I was on it 3 weeks ago and they were a real health and safety risk. Had to walk the length of three carriages to find one that wasnt blocked....
    Was speakin to a guy in Dromad, the railway museum over 7 weeks ago. (well worth a visit btw) he said the word on the ground is that the new ones are in from Korea (i think) but there was faults with them on testing. They must be still at in "Inchicore". Dont ask me the relevance of Inchicore, i gathered it msut be the graveyard or birthing centre for trains!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aparently there are 45 carriages not in Ireland and they are still in the certification process. The new Sligo-Dublin schedule starts on the 21st January 2008 and the new trains are likely to be in public use perhaps a week before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Lord above, I had the trip from hell on that bloody "service". Myself, two 7 year olds and two suitcases, and several bags, were stuck in the doorway space beside the toilets for the entire journey from Dublin to Sligo. The stench was unreal. Its outrageous what they get away with.

I'll be flying up in future. Costs the same, and its a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Good commentry!

I've always wanted to catch the train from Dublin to Sligo when I go home (to Donegal) and relax and enjoy the passing of the countryside on the train and pick up a hire car in Sligo. Sounds like it was a good idea I didn't. But the new trains might be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

tbh, havn't ever had an experience like that on the train, but do try to get on it as soon as possible before it leaves dublin to get a nice seat, with a table, but have to admit, the loos are bad,

hopefully the new trians will be cleaner, and at least every seat will hace a table

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

And he wasn't even on one of the old trains!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Great article. Sums Iarnród Éirean up perfectly!

apartently they had the first service of the new intercity trains yesterday, acording to one of the local papers the first train was due to leave dublin yesterday

any one on them yet, any comments, would do you think of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The boss is on the way up on one of them as I type this.
    He says they are quite spacious and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

sueme wrote: »
    And he wasn't even on one of the old trains!

Got one of the "old " trains a couple of weeks ago and they were a lot better.

dingding wrote: »
    Got one of the "old " trains a couple of weeks ago and they were a lot better.

compared to the comuter or the new intercity running this week? got the old orange one my self couple of weeks ago, got the comuter one back that evening,

i would say the 'old' one is better than the comuter trains, cant comment on the new intercity ones yet, would have thought they would be much better, maining due to the on board facilities

See here for additional information and user experiences: http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=3512

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Victor wrote: »
    See here for additional information and user experiences: http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=3512

Cheers for that Victor. A lot of people on there seem to really like the new carriages. I'll be glad to see the end of the old dart trains that were on the line when I was doing my weekly trip to and from dublin.

the old dart trains
    They aren't 'old dart trains', they are relatively new, but are suited for short journeys like Drogheda-Dublin, not long distances services where creature comforts like catering, toilets and legroom are more important.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Victor wrote: »
    They aren't 'old dart trains', they are relatively new, but are suited for short journeys like Drogheda-Dublin, not long distances services where creature comforts like catering, toilets and legroom are more important.

Apologies when I said old, I meant old in the sense that they aren't the new one. Like referring to a one year old tv as old because you have just bought a new one, if you get my drift.

tbh, think there is a bit on confusion when we are refering to the different typs of trains on the route.

when i think of the old train, i think of the orange intercity ones.

the trains that victor sugest suitable for short routes, i think of as the comuter train, the ones with a few tables in each carriage, and that only show the maps for comuter dublin, totally unsuitable for the sligo dublin route

the new trains, i think of as the ones rolled out in the week, the new intercity trains, the ones that that were suppose to be here in august

;)

Did I hear that there is just one of these trains a day? So all that pr was for one train.....All the rest of our journeys have to be in teh highly unsuitable commuter ones?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

tuppence wrote: »
    Did I hear that there is just one of these trains a day? So all that pr was for one train.....All the rest of our journeys have to be in teh highly unsuitable commuter ones?:confused:

yeah correct. And you can be sure we will have the single one for a long time.
    Probably will be another year before we get another one.
    fecking disgrace this country. Cant do anything on time!!!

• Advertisement

Tiesto wrote: »
    yeah correct. And you can be sure we will have the single one for a long time.
    Probably will be another year before we get another one.
    fecking disgrace this country. Cant do anything on time!!!

think i heard would be january or febuary before they would be running the new intercity trains on the whole of the time table, so if the previous time frame is anything to go by, it will be the summer before they will be running on the whole time table

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd say the end of January to mid Feb would be correct. There were a few problems found during testing which had to be fixed on the 14-16 3 car sets that are here now. Now that they are all sorted all that has to be done is the minimum mileage on each set.

That MK2d set has been removed from Connolly so it won't be on the Sligo run again. It will be just the 29k commuters and the 22k intercity's unill there are enough 22ks to cover all the route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm never going on that Dublin to city train again, freezing, toilets were broken, and you can't even sitopposite each other without knees going into crotches...

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

and you can't even sitopposite each other without knees going into crotches...
    I suppose it all depends on who's sitting opposite you :D

I'm never going on that Dublin to city train again, freezing, toilets were broken, and you can't even sitopposite each other without knees going into crotches...

You will know the next time now to sit beside Muffler not opposite him! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

tuppence wrote: »
    You will know the next time now to sit beside Muffler not opposite him! ;):D
    Yes I am known for my knee-jerk reactions :D

muffler wrote: »
    Yes I am known for my knee-jerk reactions :D
    Yes amongst other things. ;):D
    But what I really what to know is where ye travelling on the MK2, the 29k commuter or the 22ks?
    Sorry Captain chaos the tech stuff went over my head. I only know them as the orange one and the rest.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 goldrapper

1st Just a quick carp - re new train -- does anybody think the air-conditioning levels are a bit extreme. Foot heat was minimal and Baltic Breeze blasting from the ceiling. Sound during the Summer with congested carriages but during the Winter?

2nd What does anyone thing of a suggestion re 'Irish solution to an Irish problem' ie the Sligo-Dublin line it takes over three hours ie 40miles an hour. The track and bridges are not up to high speeds.

So what if, just a suggestion, an Express Morning train leaving from Sligo-Carrick, Longford and Mullingar going directly to Dublin. These are the main stations, often early in the morning there are only a few (if any at) any body at Collooney, Boyle, Dromod etc..

People had to drive from Sligo to Longford for the old early train to be in Dublin by 9 a.m. So if they are being driven in the morning -- the extra few miles wouldn't really be a huge inconvenience. Particulary as the return train would bring them all back to the desired (not desirable) stations.

The reason for these small stations in remote locations was that in the 1860s, when the line was rolled out, people would have not had the benefit of tarmac roads, petrol, mechanically propelled vehicles etc - ergo it was vital to have a station within a few miles. Now, people are more mobile etc.

Food for thought (that depends on what part of the Spanish-made train you're travelled upon). Some people might get it.

goldrapper wrote: »
    1st Just a quick carp - re new train -- does anybody think the air-conditioning levels are a bit extreme. Foot heat was minimal and Baltic Breeze blasting from the ceiling. Sound during the Summer with congested carriages but during the Winter?

2nd What does anyone thing of a suggestion re 'Irish solution to an Irish problem' ie the Sligo-Dublin line it takes over three hours ie 40miles an hour. The track and bridges are not up to high speeds.

So what if, just a suggestion, an Express Morning train leaving from Sligo-Carrick, Longford and Mullingar going directly to Dublin. These are the main stations, often early in the morning there are only a few (if any at) any body at Collooney, Boyle, Dromod etc..

People had to drive from Sligo to Longford for the old early train to be in Dublin by 9 a.m. So if they are being driven in the morning -- the extra few miles wouldn't really be a huge inconvenience. Particulary as the return train would bring them all back to the desired (not desirable) stations.

The reason for these small stations in remote locations was that in the 1860s, when the line was rolled out, people would have not had the benefit of tarmac roads, petrol, mechanically propelled vehicles etc - ergo it was vital to have a station within a few miles. Now, people are more mobile etc.

Food for thought (that depends on what part of the Spanish-made train you're travelled upon). Some people might get it.

Yes I was on it 2 weeks ago and it was freezing. Also couldnt get in the automatic door which I then also realised was also one that was supposed to be disabled access. :mad:
    Crazy that it should take so long but people may still use it for comfort, if you could get work done etc. Thats sounds like a fair idea re the early bird. How long would it shave off from the journey? Wonder is there a market for commuter to sligo early too from these areas.
    I thought the trains were from Korea or japan, although Craig used to talk about spain? :confused:

• Advertisement

goldrapper wrote: »
    Tell the driver if it is too cold.
    Those people are entitled to a service. The train from Cork stops at most stops to Portarlington.
    the trains were made by a Japanese-Korean consortium.

Advertisement