Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sligo Trains

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 goldrapper

Victor wrote: »
    Tell the driver if it is too cold.
    1st Victor - do you work for Irish Rail or have some interest?.

2nd - Re 'tell the driver' - smashing idea, next time I feel a sub-zero chill, I'll clamber out window, do a Buster Keaton amble up roof of train, to then casually slip him a note, as to whether he might consider turning the dial down a bit!!

Those people are entitled to a service. The train from Cork stops at most stops to Portarlington.

3rd - This is a thread re Dublin-Sligo line --
    never been to Portarlington via doesn't concern this discussion. (B) They are still getting a service, except that they have to travel slightly longer to the initial station of embarkation. It will result in their getting FASTER because THE LINES DON'T HAVE CAPACITY FOR ANYTHING REACHING HIGH SPEEDS - as mentioned mean speed is 40 mph. (C) As for 'Those people', ancedotally and based on extensive travel on the said line there is always just a few passengers if any on said referenced stations.

the trains were made by a Japanese-Korean consortium.
    I did qualify this comment by referring that 'some people might get it' -- Victor, my good friend, you obviously didn't. Explanation Required, I'd say it does because you missed the intended pun destination as first scheduled? Old BR trains (ie Orange and Black) are British. Commuter trains (ie the one's where you can't get a cup of tea or any food from the 'trolley dollys' if you are sitting at the front of the train, because the train is in two sections, and requires, the trolley to be lifted out onto a platform and walked up to the other section) usually this doesn't happen. Also, on a pratical level, the trolley's water boiler obviously only holds a finite amount of liquid, so it often the case there isn't water for said refreshments.

The NEWEST train on the Dublin-Sligo has been constructed re said Korean.

Safe travelling.

Edit by muffler:Please dont insert text within a quoted post

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

was on the new train for the first time recently

Train was 40 mins late at the platform in Dublin, Apparently due to "door fault" according to intercom announcement.

Agree that the air conditioning was too much. Was chilly!! Someone did know that there was an intercom to speak with driver and asked to turn up heat, it slowly increased but still was not warm..

No trolley service, the train was in two parts, heard someone ask the conductor if there would be a service and he said the trolley is usally lifted off at a stop and back on to the other part of the train "but wasn't sure if he would bother this evening"

People in remote stations deserve a train service as much as someone leaving from Sligo. Would be a better idea to put on more trains from Longford/Mullingar to Dublin and then allow Sligo train to skip these stops at peak times..

Can't see a lot has changed with the introduction on the new train. It's late, slow, chilly, with no proper catering service...

but at least I can now have a table to rest my paper or laptop on..and it beats driving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

was on the train last night, the 19.05 from Dublin and we had a nice 20 minute delay in maynooth because of the door fault mentioned above......not sure how persistent this problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Was on the train Saturday nite from Ballymote.
    Had no complaints but it was a short journey.
    I did see some chap taking the food trolley off the train in Sligo.

Getting the early train tomorrow to Dublin so we'll see how that goes!

gucci wrote: »
    was on the train last night, the 19.05 from Dublin and we had a nice 20 minute delay in maynooth because of the door fault mentioned above......not sure how persistent this problem is?

For as long as I've been travelling this route there have been excuses about delays. I've heard, "leaves on the line", "fire on the line", engine broken down

I have a suspicion that "door fault" is simply code for we're incompetent or I fell asleep and just woke up. Later on in the journey he kind of blew his story by saying the delay was caused by something else...can't remember what it was but I remember sharing a laugh with another passenger..

What kind of company lets trains out of their factory with doors that don't close? My love of tv shows like fawlty towers probably gets me through this with some humour..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

GG66 wrote: »
    I have a suspicion that "door fault" is simply code for we're incompetent or I fell asleep and just woke up. Later on in the journey he kind of blew his story by saying the delay was caused by something else...can't remember what it was but I remember sharing a laugh with another passenger..

What kind of company lets trains out of their factory with doors that don't close? My love of tv shows like fawlty towers probably gets me through this with some humour..
    last nights one seemed genuine enough, before i boarded at connelly there was a guy on board with a laptop and a I.E. hi-vis vest on and there was problems with the doors opening and shutting. (they all shut at the one time and then all opened again!)

last nights one seemed genuine enough, before i boarded at connelly there was a guy on board with a laptop and a I.E. hi-vis vest on and there was problems with the doors opening and shutting. (they all shut at the one time and then all opened again!)

typical, checkin his email instead of fixing the doors ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Door faults and over-zealous brakes are the two largest problems with trains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Victor wrote: »
    Door faults and over-zealous brakes are the two largest problems with trains.
    Am getting abit concered now since i am heading on the train soon. How shall i get out in the event of the train derailing due to overzealous brakes, cos theres a chance that the doors might'nt open either. :eek:
    Seriously though did they not check these in "Inchicore" as a matter of routine if they are so common there predictable. :confused:

Behave. :P

• Advertisement

On the train at the moment heading to Dublin. Just left Boyle.
    Train is quite comfortable. Warm enough. Have pretty decent coverage! (Posting this while on the move!!!).
    So far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Ooh Gillie, get you. You high flyer! :D
    Hope you get on OK in the big smoke.
    I as toying with the idea of going next month, but to be honest I don't like the sound of the new trains at the mo, so I might wait until the summer.

I have shifty eyes so I fit right in!
    >>
    <<

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gillie wrote: »
    On the train at the moment heading to Dublin. Just left Boyle.
    Train is quite comfortable. Warm enough. Have pretty decent coverage! (Posting this while on the move!!!).
    So far so good!

I forgot about that. Someone told me they had internet access on the trains. What's it like? Does it cost extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Which 3G broadband provider provide the best coverage on the trai n route?

I was using o2 BB. It's a flat rate AFAIK!
    Coverage was perfect after Dromad and was fine all the way to Dublin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was using o2 BB. It's a flat rate AFAIK!
    Coverage was perfect after Dromad and was fine all the way to Dublin

Bah! I thought the train had internet access.

I thought the new trains had internet access too.

Not that I can see.
    on the way back at the mo! coverage is pretty poor at the mo and i'm on the "I can't believe it's not the new train" train!
    packed aswell! no seat!

No seat, thats mad! I will have to look at the video Andy took and see if it mentions internet, I'm sure I heard it somewhere.

• Advertisement

I see there are now 8 train services on weekdays. The earliest one leaving at 5.45am

Yeah. You can now get into Dublin for 8.50! It's a shame that you can't get in for about half an hour earlier!

8 trains a day is great though!

I wonder if there is the need for 8 trains though?
    I think the early one is a great idea, but as you say if it got in that bit earlier it would be better.

Shhhh! They've done it now!!

There is actually a need. I heard the annual figure for the Sligo Dubliin Line and it's incredible!

I came back on the 3.05 train yesterday which I wouldn't expect to be that busy but it was! Didn't get a seat until Dromad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Are you standing up and surfing on a laptop?

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Are you standing up and surfing on a laptop?

I was yesterday!:confused:

There is actually a need. I heard the annual figure for the Sligo Dubliin Line and it's incredible!
    What is it?

can't remember but it was quite a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Id say alot of those would be from Mulligar/Maynooth etc - Dublin, alot of people commute each day from Meath / Westmeath to the capital and these probably included in fugures.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Even if there isnt a need its not privitised yet!. Its an extended public tranport service, and its welcome.When you see the excuse for a service in rural areas its good. Once people know its there they may use it tomorrow and dump the car for some journeys, even if its just for day trips. Its a start. :)
    And next the extension of a western rail corridor to collooney.;)
    *whistling in the wind*

Advertisement