Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sligo Trains

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

is there a 5.50am departure everyday?
    I dont see it on irishrail.ie
    Im guessing its mostly the commuter trains doing the runs on the new timetable?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

So whats the most recent info re dogs on the Sligo train (with owners obviuosly, not goin around in packs:D)?
    Got mixed responses when I have asked, from only if guide dogs to yes if they are muzzled?
    * My parents wont travel anywhere without their dog. I would hate to see them not availing of their right to free tarvel cos of that.:(

tuppence wrote: »
    So whats the most recent info re dogs on the Sligo train (with owners obviuosly, not goin around in packs:D)?
    Got mixed responses when I have asked, from only if guide dogs to yes if they are muzzled?
    * My parents wont travel anywhere without their dog. I would hate to see them not availing of their right to free tarvel cos of that.:(
    You would need to check the Rules of travel - I think you can bring a dog in dog box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I finally got on the new train yesterday.
    I did a very short bit of filming here (not great quality):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACRw85zSUs

I thought the train was great, much better then the old train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Did you know that lady who was sitting opposite you and did she even realise that you were filming?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Did you know that lady who was sitting opposite you and did she even realise that you were filming?

She knows her Bobcar, and her daughter would probably be more alarmed if Val didn't have a camera in front of her! :D

My daughter will be delighted that she was called a lady:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

any one know the fares on this route now, is it still €25 or 35 depending on day of travel, also are the new intercity trains being used on all deparatures now, or is it still just the morning and evening departures

haven't used in a while, and the irishrail site still doesn't give much away

If I remember rightly it was 27 euro when I went...might be wrong though...old age:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

We're going to take advantage of the special €10 day return ticket from Longford to Dublin this month. The wee man hasn't been on a train before and we've never been on a train in Ireland!

We don't know whether to bring the 3 wheeler buggy (which is easier to push and more comfortable but bulky) or the stroller (which is horrible to push and not very comfortable but smaller than the other one). Is there a storage area where the big buggy can be put during the journey?

Has anybody any experience of this? What would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

irish-stew wrote: »
    thanks victor

what that link doesn't indicate it that the saver return applies if you return the same day between Monday & Thursday.

Otherwise all returns are 38

GG66 wrote: »
    what that link doesn't indicate it that the saver return applies if you return the same day between Monday & Thursday.

Otherwise all returns are 38

was some thing similar last time i traveled on it (just before xmas), the saver was day rtn monday to thurs at €25, €35 day rtn on the other days or for a open rtn

looking that link theres also a saver on the single as well, standard single €38 and saver €27, i'm assuming the saver on this also only applies monday to thurs

why dont irish rail display this on their site :mad:

well, i finally got to use the new sligo trains today, although the day saver return is now €29 euro, and other returns €40 :eek:

quite impressed tbh, nice and bright, airy, more seats, proper sized tables and more of them, and compared to other trains where i have seen with sockets for lappys/psp's etc, the ones on the new trains are not for show and actully work

although wasn't using them myself, seen other people using them, hope to bring my lappy with me next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

well, i finally got to use the new sligo trains today, although the day saver return is now €29 euro, and other returns €40 :eek:

surely thats cheap?
    new trains have to be paid for somhow?
    Cheap compared to england! prices over there are nuts!:D

elshambo wrote: »
    surely thats cheap?
    new trains have to be paid for somhow?

not that cheep considering the comuter trains are still running certain times of day

Cheap compared to england! prices over there are nuts!:D

depends when you travel, if you book a seat compared to a open ticket, etc etc, i take the train sometimes in the UK, and book well in advance

lastime i was there, took the train from london, to the north devon coast, a jouney by road of 250miles, got a ticket for less that £30, booked the ticket 7 to 10 days before hand, booked a specfic train, and a reserved seat, if i had just booked an open ticket, ie, took any train on my desired day, would have cost me about £100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

not that cheep considering the comuter trains are still running certain times of day

depends when you travel, if you book a seat compared to a open ticket, etc etc, i take the train sometimes in the UK, and book well in advance

lastime i was there, took the train from london, to the north devon coast, a jouney by road of 250miles, got a ticket for less that £30, booked the ticket 7 to 10 days before hand, booked a specfic train, and a reserved seat, if i had just booked an open ticket, ie, took any train on my desired day, would have cost me about £100

didnt know they still used the old trains as well (only ever use the buses)
    would be p*ssed paying the same for them as the good ones!

ya if you book a train in england its fine but most people dont know far in advance when going by train? average user is cheaper driving or plane over their which isnt exactly enviromentally sound?

didnt know they still used the old trains as well (only ever use the buses)
    would be p*ssed paying the same for them as the good ones!

most of the time table runs the new ones now

although did meet the comuter on the way down this morning
    ya if you book a train in england its fine but most people dont know far in advance when going by train? average user is cheaper driving or plane over their which isnt exactly enviromentally sound?

any time i'm going over, and planing to visit people out of london would book at leat a week before hand, but like you say, for the average user, or an imprompto journey, you can pay big

sticking loosly to the sligo service, and booking tickets, have noticed no option to do this on the irish rail site, seems to be offered for most of the other intercity routes, advertising lower fares if you book on line etc, but if you try for the sligo sevice, does not let you

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Those new trains are gorgeous!

I did find it slightly disconcerting when the bathroom yelled at me for not locking the door yet... I was about to! Jeez!

Xiney wrote: »
    Those new trains are gorgeous!

I did find it slightly disconcerting when the bathroom yelled at me for not locking the door yet... I was about to! Jeez!

huh, mine said nothing, just made a gurgling sound if you pressed its right buttons :D

There was an 'issue' with people not locking them. Can cause quiet a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm sure it could definitely be a problem, but I was nowhere near dropping trou yet, I was still trying to locate the lock!

I'm sure it could definitely be a problem, but I was nowhere near dropping trou yet, I was still trying to locate the lock!

was it in the electronic door toilets, i had no such instructions in the one i was using

Its a new message.

Advertisement