Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend some new anime

Options
  • 14-07-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

ive gone off anime completley, i need a new film to spark up my passion.
    I dont want stuff like naruto or all show and no story [aka remake of apple seed]

something with a story thats new
    [like perfect blue etc]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Higurashi no Naku Koroni

higurashi3ox5.jpg
    Insane people FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Darker than black is very good, well worth checking out.
    shame that Shinsen stopped subbing it though, I really liked their work:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Placebo wrote:
    ive gone off anime completley, i need a new film to spark up my passion.
    I dont want stuff like naruto or all show and no story [aka remake of apple seed]

[like perfect blue etc]

dude i know how you feel,i've completely gone off it too,theres so much bad **** out there at the moment its unreal,take a look at my list in the "list your manga" thread or whatever its called,id recommend those titles to anyone,the next manga im getting is angel cop 1-6,ordered it off amazon should be here soon :D i hope,its oldschool manga and that how i like it!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

If you want a film there's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and the rest of Makoto Shinkai's 5cm per second will be one to look out for when it comes out (I saw an advanced preview at Anime Expo this year, fantastic stuff).

There's a metric tonne of high-quality shows from the spring season still going, and a few promising shows have aired their first episodes for the summer season, so I don't know how all your finding is "bad ****".

2007 is fantastic so far. In fact, there are too many good shows to watch.

I'm trying to keep up with about 17 shows that are currently airing.

Bokurano, Charge!! Otokojuku (not technically 'airing', but being fansubbed), Claymore, Darker Than Black, Dennou Coil, Hayate no Gotoku, Heroic Age, Lovely Complex, Murder Princess, Serei no Moribito, Seto no Hanayome, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, The Skull Man, Toward the Terra, Lucky Star and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

There's something for everyone.

And seeing as you mentioned Perfect Blue, Satoshi Kon's Paprika recently came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

If you havent seen grave of the fireflies I heartily recommend it. Also, I have only seen the OVA series it is a remake of, but the Macross+ film should be quite good. It should be very tought provoking and stimulating if it's source is anything to go bye.

• Advertisement

If you havent seen grave of the fireflies I heartily recommend it. Also, I have only seen the OVA series it is a remake of, but the Macross+ film should be quite good. It should be very tought provoking and stimulating if it's source is anything to go bye.
    Neither of those are anything approacing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I'd definately recommend Lucky Star, really funny stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

CuLT wrote:
    And seeing as you mentioned Perfect Blue, Satoshi Kon's Paprika recently came out.
    Damn, I was beat. Anyways, if Paprika doesn't get your interest back, then you're lost.
    Also, Genius Party, which is only premiering this yea in Japan, looks very promising if anthology films are your thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Out of the this season, I'm watching Lucky Star, Lovely Complex, and TTGL.
    Haven't watched TTGL since episode eleven though.
    Going to watch Claymore and Darker Then Black... eventually, hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Lucky Star is awful.

Watch Azumanga Daioh if you want to see a real High School comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

CuLT wrote:

Then I suppose suggesting "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" to rekindle an interest with a story-heavy show would be right out then? :D

Claymore is shaping up nicely as the cream of this year's crop so far. It by far has the most potential and I'd recommend it as a very good storydriven show.

Aside from that, there are lots of anime shows airing this year in each genre, with perhaps 'space opera' being a bit under-represented (Heroic Age is hardly as epic as it wants to be). The series are all somewhere from good, but not fantastic.

psicic wrote:
    Then I suppose suggesting "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" to rekindle an interest with a story-heavy show would be right out then? :D

Touché, but I did include an older show that is only now getting a release in my own recommendations ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

CuLT wrote:

Sorry, I though the poster meant something he had not seen before or something that had a fresh and unique plot line (i.e new to him):
    (like perfect blue etc)

both of which the two movies had. Rather than something that is brand spanking new like you seem to have interpeted his plea as, which confuses me as the one example of something he wants (perfect blue) is 9 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann & Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.
    Go.
    Enjoy good anime ;)

both of which the two movies had. Rather than something that is brand spanking new like you seem to have interpeted his plea as, which confuses me as the one example of something he wants (perfect blue) is 9 years old?
    Well, it would be rather silly for someone to ask the Internet for something "new to him" considering we don't have a comprehensive list of everything he's ever watched.

However, it's quite reasonable to ask for a new show/film that bears the same hallmarks of quality as an older show/film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fierce_diety

any studio ghibli films are instant classics,princess mononoke,howls moving castle,kikis delivery service,spirited away all great. and then anime series like full metal alchemist,neon genesis evangelion,blood +,elfen lied,tenchi. i dont know how u could get bored of anime

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

i dont know how u could get bored of anime
    Thats true. I mean, if someone says they're sick off all the modern crap, why not go back and check out some older classics? Oldies are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Hey all. Anyone interested in anime must, and i mean MUST, watch Full Metal Alchemist. 50 twenty minute long episodes of great animation and story line, although relatively slow starting off, after 6 episodes or so you will be hooked into the story and the characters. Truly an amazing anime series.

I would also recommend series like neon genesis evangelion, elfen lied, cowboy bebop, runouri kenshin (movie). Also all the studio ghiblis.

Im currently watching the vision of escaflowne which is alright so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

since most people are ignoring the new part and going for good, let me add my 2c.

Haibane Renmei.
    Witchhunter Robin.
    Ergo Proxy.
    Saikano.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I highly recommend Death Note, it's certainly one of the best manga and anime series I've ever had the pleasure to read and watch, so check it out! :D The story is brilliant, every episode has something happening in it, and the characters are very interesting.

If you like any of CLAMP's work I'd recommend watching Tsubasa: Resevoir Chronicles. I starts off a little slow, but it gets really good. There's a good story, lot's of alternate dimensions so lot's of interesting and different characters, really well animated action and fight scenes and some of the best music in an anime I've ever heard. It might seem slightly childish in the first 2 episodes - but the animation company have actually refused to animate the 3rd series as the manga has gotten so crazy and violent as the series progressed.

Actually, there are some CLAMP OVA's you could watch, like 'X' or 'Tokyo Babylon'. The DVDs are available cheaply, especially if you have a DVD player that can play Region 1 DVDs, as you can get a lot of those animes cheaper from Amazon.com than buying the Region 2 DVD in shops over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

If your recommending CLAMP you cant leave out their two best pieces of work...chobits and xxxholic! Their like the opposite to your usual mecha battle storylines but give em a go, their well worth checking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

carbonkid wrote:
    If your recommending CLAMP you cant leave out their two best pieces of work...chobits and xxxholic! Their like the opposite to your usual mecha battle storylines but give em a go, their well worth checking out!

Yeah, Chobits is a good laugh, the manga is so good too! I love the little nun-bunny in it :D

CarbonKid, if you like xXx~Holic, you should watch Tsubasa: Resevoir Chronicles if you havn't already, Yuuko is in it quite a bit, there's a lot of cross over between the two, especially as the story of Tsubasa progresses (well, more-so in the manga I guess.)

OT: Hey, is your user name from the song Carbon Kid by Alpinestars? Because Placebo and Brian Molko rock!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

check out black jack "a surgeon with hands of god":cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've just started into Paranoia Agent, and I love it. Its a short 13 episode series, so you'll get through it pretty quickly. Beautiful animation and quirky style.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but if you want to be equally amazed intrigued and bamboozled, the short animated film 'Cat Soup' is highly recommended. (cute cats drawn into a philosophical exploration of existance meaning and the nature of god... I believe firmly that Pirates of the carribean ripped off their trippy desert scene from this film (as did the simpsons when homer ate the mexican hallucination chillis) of course, neither of those beliefs can be backed up in any way.

If you're into something with a story, I like Noir. (teenage female assasins hmmmmm)

Advertisement