Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SkyDSL broadband

Options
  • 14-07-2007 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I live in a broadband black spot about 4 miles from Killucan, Co. Westmeath. Can anyone advise if there is an affordable home broadband package "Wireless" or "Satellite" available in this area. I have been in contact with SkyDSL but their system requires a phone line connected as well as the satellite connection. I am not convinced!!!

I have been in contact with Last Mile but I am not in "Line of Site" of their service, the nearest being Kinnegad, which is 8 miles away.

I heard a rumour that Eircom may be enabling the exchange in Killucan in September??

I would love to hear from anyone with more info.
    Seans

:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Wrong forum old chap, moved to Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

seans wrote:
    I live in a broadband black spot about 4 miles from Killucan, Co. Westmeath. Can anyone advise if there is an affordable home broadband package "Wireless" or "Satellite" available in this area. I have been in contact with SkyDSL but their system requires a phone line connected as well as the satellite connection. I am not convinced!!!

I have been in contact with Last Mile but I am not in "Line of Site" of their service, the nearest being Kinnegad, which is 8 miles away.

I heard a rumour that Eircom may be enabling the exchange in Killucan in September??

Seans

If you have a line already then skydsl is not the worst option in the world to go for. Get yourself an internet package, utv 180hrs for 25.00. Geting the dish aligned can be a bitch but once there its as i said not that bad for browsing and downloads. Used it myself for a number of years.

Or, you could go down the path of 3 or the very good o2 mobile packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

SkyDSL is nothing to do with broadband. It's an overpriced download accerator for dailup. If you use the Internet much then cancelling phone line and 99 Euro a month 2way satellite is cheaper & better.

But Fixed Wireless, Metro, dsl and cable are Broadband.

Even 3G/HSDPA is a better option than SkyDSL if you cancel eircom line. Line rental going/gone up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Highway61

seans wrote:

Seans

I'm in the same BB black spot outside Killucan
    .Had the last mile guy up on the chimney like Santa without the sack :eek: but he couldn't get the good enough signal .He said he only got one bar and needed three bars for it to work ,mind you he was up there for about 5 seconds and just held his little gadget over his head ...no extension poles or anything and we are in a bungelow so I got the impression that he didn't really give a Sh1t ifthere was a sgnal or not once he got his 39€ apperance fee .took me 4 months to get back the 100€ + deposit .Maybe I'm just getting cynicall in my dottage .I'm stuck now on BT Anytime 180hrs for 89€ so somthin like that ..the kids call it BogBand .:D
    With a bit of luck the remour about the upgrade will come to pass .there's a tonne of houses after going up between rathwire and Killucan so with a bit of luck they might spend the few bob and do the upgrade ....
    Moan officially over :o
    HW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

watty wrote:
    SkyDSL is nothing to do with broadband. It's an overpriced download accerator for dailup. If you use the Internet much then cancelling phone line and 99 Euro a month 2way satellite is cheaper & better.

But Fixed Wireless, Metro, dsl and cable are Broadband.

Even 3G/HSDPA is a better option than SkyDSL if you cancel eircom line. Line rental going/gone up too.

Eh, I wouldn't call this "cheap":http://www.digiweb.ie/business/broadband/satellite-broadband.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Add phone line rental, phone dialup chargers and SkyDSL charges.

I didn't claim it was cheap. but cheaper.

We used to pay eircom up to 120Eur a month. Our phone calls only now we use broadband and have no eircom line at all, are under 10 Eur a month. I was seriously considering satellite before we got Metro.

I think ISDN is better value than SkyDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

watty wrote:
    Add phone line rental, phone dialup chargers and SkyDSL charges.

I didn't claim it was cheap. but cheaper.

We used to pay eircom up to 120Eur a month. Our phone calls only now we use broadband and have no eircom line at all, are under 10 Eur a month. I was seriously considering satellite before we got Metro.

I think ISDN is better value than SkyDSL.

I was referring more to the installation and equipment charges on that link rather than the monthly fee (E1340). I think everyone is in universal agreement that ISDN is ****e.

Advertisement