Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Special July 25th!

Options
  • 14-07-2007 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

TG is back for a one hour special with a theme that chimes perfectly with the summer thats in it. A Polar Challange with Jezza paired with Captain Slow which should be a laugh in itself.

from radiotimes.co.uk
    Top Gear Polar Challenge

Wednesday 25 July
    8:00pm - 9:00pm
    BBC2

In Top Gear's most ambitious and arduous challenge to date Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond attempt to race from Northern Canada to the North Pole, 450 miles away. The terrain in between is some of the toughest on earth - a mix of mountainous land masses and jagged sea ice where temperatures can drop to a mind-numbing minus 65 degrees Celcius. Jeremy and James will be driving a specially adapted pick up truck whilst Richard will be travelling on something a little less high tech - a sled pulled by a team of ten Canadian Inuit Dogs.

Mush!

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

the day after i go on holidays ah well thanks for postin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭wba88

cheers op sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Damn it, i just found out about it, wanted to be the one to post it... Oh well, sounds like it'll be a laugh... Roll on the 25th...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Brilliant! I've been getting withdrawal symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

That was unreal. Seriously, the comedic side wasn't as strong in this (although there was still some brilliant moments), but the sheer scale of what they did was unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Damn it, missed it. Anyone know if it will be repeated, and when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

Brilliant as usual. dont worry slunk, Im sure someone will know when its repeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I just watched it, but the ending left me very confused. They showed the car's GPS readout as they hit the Pole... I don't know if I should say any more, in case it's a spoiler... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,953 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Slunk wrote:
    Damn it, missed it. Anyone know if it will be repeated, and when?
    Sunday, BBC2, 8pm.

Seroid, what confused you? Spoiler it, i'd be interested to see what i missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

stereoroid wrote:
    I just watched it, but the ending left me very confused. They showed the car's GPS readout as they hit the Pole... I don't know if I should say any more, in case it's a spoiler... :confused:
    It's the magnetic North Pole AFAIK - should have been made clearer I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Thanks Tauren, I shall exit this thread now before something is revelaed :)

It's the magnetic North Pole AFAIK - should have been made clearer I reckon.

edit: found the "spoiler" tags - select to display
    That was my first guess... but if that was the case, then the show was filmed in 1994, which was the last time magnetic north was at 78N 104W. link I didn't record it, but I tried to remember the figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭wba88

damn i missed it will it be repeated?

stereoroid wrote:
    OK, so I guess I shouldn't worry about a spoiler then?

That was my first guess... but if that was the case, then the show was filmed in 1994, which was the last time magnetic north was at 78N 104W. link I didn't record it, but I tried to remember the figure.

the readout was:

Lat: N78˚ 35’ 7”
    Long: 104˚ 11’ 9”

edit: found the "spoiler" tags - select to display
    Tauren wrote:
    the readout was:

Lat: N78˚ 35’ 7”
    Long: 104˚ 11’ 9”
    Thanks - so my memory was OK, but... am I right about the current magnetic north? Wikipedia says it was at 82.7 N 114.4 W in 2005.
    I entered these figures in the Great Circle Mapper: the 2005 pole is 307 miles further north than they went. link.
    I'll be surprised if I'm the only one asking questions...

indeed - considering how low they were on fuel - but then i think Hammond winning would have been a better outcome.

I dunno, i'd like to say the BBC wouldn't screw up like that, but with all the recent news......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I bet they're glad they went in a Toyota, anything else (read Land Rover) and they'd be dead. Spare a thought for Richard, he went to the pole and got about 10 mins of screen time!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i was totally rootin for hammond :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

Great show!! Would have been extra good it Hammond bet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

mike65 wrote:
    I bet they're glad they went in a Toyota, anything else (read Land Rover) and they'd be dead. Spare a thought for Richard, he went to the pole and got about 10 mins of screen time!

Mike.
    Did he even get to the finish line? They didn't show it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I reckon this is what they were trying to do:

http://polarrace.com/about/route/
    (Finish Line - 78°35.7'N 104°11.9'W)

I reckon this is what they were trying to do:

http://polarrace.com/about/route/

Maybe so: according to my calculations, they went:
    almost exactly halfway to the 2005 location of the North Magnetic Pole, and about 30% of the way to the geographic North Pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

ASTONISHING! Great episode of top gear i was lauging watching it several times. The bit where jezza was asleep at the wheel was dam funny.

What an epic episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the third time on skis and he gets to the north pole???
    the expert he was with obviously didn't want any screen time although she seemed to be very good humoured with him.

great show, I don't know how they wer eallowed go with so little training

I thought clarkson point about doing things the easy way was quite true, what would the easiest way tot get up everest? quadbike bike and pulley systen for the few steep bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

holy crap. the best bit of television I've ever seen. So much so I felt I must post on the forum for the first time.
    The bit where hammond finds the seals jawbone in a sea of blood was insane. And don't them icelandics know a lot of tricks for getting vehicles out of snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jtsuited wrote:
    And don't them icelandics know a lot of tricks for getting vehicles out of snow?

I am sure they are well used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

LOL at Clarkson's bumper dumper :D
    'Specially when he drives off with May s(h)itting on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

That was a great show they should do more off road races in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

"Would you like a gin and tonic?"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I particularly like the bit where the "sas Guy" pushed Clarkson into the water.
    Jaysus the face on him as he came out, he looked like he was about to die.

I nearly weeeeed myself.

Advertisement