Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello lovely laois

Options
  • 15-07-2007 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any kick boxing instructors/clubs in Mountmellick/Portlaoise/Port?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nightcaller101

if your interested in Kickboxing i'd suggest kildare or tullamore, without mentioning names id avoid mountmellick because the guys there are d**k's, i trained for 10 years with the orginal trainer over there and now the son is running the show and he's usless....

Just my thoughts tho.....

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

nightcaller,
    Just a quick question as to who you did the training with in Mountmellick.
    I used do a bit when I was much younger but gave it up when I moved to Dublin. Just wondering was it the same outfit.

Matt

It was Bo-Ju-KAI with eamon quigley, i trained with him in port and mountmellick......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Any of the O' Shea's from Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 boo!

Hi. As far as I know Eamon Quigley doesnt do it anymore and unless his son is doing it on the side from his bouncer job I didnt think he was doing it. Would you know anyone in Tullamore?
    O'Sheas have their own "style"?

• Advertisement

Or do you knw any1 in Port?

Hey Eamon gave it up years ago and john took it over but was useless he started fighting in the prokick comp's but from what i hear he gave it up.... theres a few clubs around tullamore not sure where but a few guys i trained with are going so i'll find out what i can.....

Thks nightcaller. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

How come Eamon gave it up? It was hardly age!
    Fittest man I ever trained with and a go-er of the highest caliber.
    Hope he is keeping well..

Not sure why he gave it up, but i agree he was one of the best i've trained with, and i've many scar's to remind me :D ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kathy93

boo! wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any kick boxing instructors/clubs in Mountmellick/Portlaoise/Port?

Hey, I can see this is 2 yrs too late but you should still know Eamon Quigley didn't stop do karate of his own accord, he was made stop.
    Convicted peadophile interfeared with at least 48 children. Including myself and all of my family, none of us eacaped him.
    He got 8 years in Arbour hill but only did 6. Scum is living in bray now so people beware!!! :mad:
    How do you people not know this about him.

if your interested in Kickboxing i'd suggest kildare or tullamore, without mentioning names id avoid mountmellick because the guys there are d**k's, i trained for 10 years with the orginal trainer over there and now the son is running the show and he's usless....

Just my thoughts tho.....

You were stuck with the son because the "original trainer" was locked up for abusing up to 48 children

Hey Eamon gave it up years ago and john took it over but was useless he started fighting in the prokick comp's but from what i hear he gave it up.... theres a few clubs around tullamore not sure where but a few guys i trained with are going so i'll find out what i can.....

Hey, i've corrected a load of these already, Eamon Quigley is a convicted peadophile did 6 years for abusing up to 48 children, including those that trained with him, so cuont your blessings if you got away, we all were not so lucky:mad:

How come Eamon gave it up? It was hardly age!
    Fittest man I ever trained with and a go-er of the highest caliber.
    Hope he is keeping well..

Thankfully the peadophile is almost a vegetable now in bray.
    Suffered a few beatings while in prison and a stroke when he got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 x_jaw

Hi, as for the above post's, i agree the person mentioned was caught doing these things and yes he deserved what he done.... i trained with him for a number of years and i also trained with his son, both were good at it but however in all my time of training i never personally witnessed it, i did however hear the rumors at the time and so on....... he was approached at one of the class by ourselves and he refused to comment on it, i was seeing a girl in the class at the time and she had a run in with him and after that most of the guys left the club.....

And as for you Kathy, if you were a victim of this i some what feel your pain and i do think that he got away too light for the crimes.... i have been involved in rape crisis classes for a couple of years as a support member and there is people out there that can help..... but unfortunately time and the cases i was involved with got the better of me so i had to give it up........

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

You'd be amazed and scared by the number of kids that get dropped off at martial arts classes all over the country by parents who have never checked out the instructor's credentials before hand.

When I was 7 or so I was that child and its by shear luck I found a decent class run by a good man, it could have been so very different.

My heart goes out to any and all of victims of abuse, it's trully shame full to think how engrained this behavouir is in Irish society.

Joe Dunne
    Bujinkan Portlaoise

x_jaw wrote: »
    Hi, as for the above post's, i agree the person mentioned was caught doing these things and yes he deserved what he done.... i trained with him for a number of years and i also trained with his son, both were good at it but however in all my time of training i never personally witnessed it, i did however hear the rumors at the time and so on....... he was approached at one of the class by ourselves and he refused to comment on it, i was seeing a girl in the class at the time and she had a run in with him and after that most of the guys left the club.....

And as for you Kathy, if you were a victim of this i some what feel your pain and i do think that he got away too light for the crimes.... i have been involved in rape crisis classes for a couple of years as a support member and there is people out there that can help..... but unfortunately time and the cases i was involved with got the better of me so i had to give it up........

Regards

Thanks for your kind words.

After reading some of the posts I did more searching and was horrified to find the "Charmer" had wormed his way into a nursing home, where he played music for the patients.
    The home just happens to be Tara nursing home where A Mrs Maura Reynolds went missing in 2005 and was later found dead in 2007, can you imagine what is going through my head now??
    My family have contacted both the garadi and the nursing home who have said they will investigate, under no circumstances should he be anywhere near people who are even more vunerable than children.
    He was a street angel and house devil, most of the abuse took place in his own home & in the shead where he trainned. Outside he could charm the birds from the trees!!

He was such a charmer that some people still question his conviction
    But I can say from the bottom of my heart that what that man did to me still affects me to this day, I was his niece as were many of his victims and we were all afraid of the big karate man!! But i'd love the chance to see him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 x_jaw

This is very true, with most victims of this kind of abuse/rape the scars stay with them for most of there lives, however there are things in your life that can help you, if your in a relationship you can learn to trust your partner and talk to them about it, the more you discuss it the more you can let go of the fear and hate that has surrounded you.

You can also talk to your family and together deal with the events and help each other come to terms with it.

And i know this is not an easy task, and not everyone can understand your pain but if you let people help you, you can overcome it. And you have every right to hate he him for what hes done, but not that hes out of the picture in your home life you can let go of the hate and move on. If a time comes where he crosses paths with you just remember who you are and that no matter what hes done to you he still lost out on a family by giving to his corrupt desires.

Ive spoken to men/women and children that had been in the same position as yourself, its a time healing process and as long as you stay focused you can live without fear.

Please take all this as my own insight based on what i know about your events, but talking can help and id recommend contacting a help group and share you story, this way you can learn from others and them from you.

As for Joes comments, i very much agree there is a lot of strange people in all aspects of sports and societies that shouldnt be let near other people for different reasons, i myself trained with Steve Bynre for about a year and up till then ive trained with a lot of different instructors in different styles of the arts, but with steve its been a pleasure, i wasnt all about getting fit and been apart of a fighting team to win medals and prove your better than the next guy, it simply was just be prepare, in the event that you need to evade an attack then you can, or if you have to defend then you can also.

But to further my comments on the Bu-Ju-Kai karate club, over the 10 odd years of training with Eamon ive suffered broken ribs/fingers, ive been knocked out a few times and also had my jaw dislocated all at the hands of Eamon himself. But funny enough at the time i knew no better and learned from the beatings. :rolleyes: But one of the most interesting things i noticed was Eamon didnt like getting hit.

Anyway ive probably bored you to tears with this post...

Best of luck with your healing process Kathy and remember theres always someone whos willing to listen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aries1619

kathy93 wrote: »
    Thanks for your kind words.

After reading some of the posts I did more searching and was horrified to find the "Charmer" had wormed his way into a nursing home, where he played music for the patients.
    The home just happens to be Tara nursing home where A Mrs Maura Reynolds went missing in 2005 and was later found dead in 2007, can you imagine what is going through my head now??
    My family have contacted both the garadi and the nursing home who have said they will investigate, under no circumstances should he be anywhere near people who are even more vunerable than children.
    He was a street angel and house devil, most of the abuse took place in his own home & in the shead where he trainned. Outside he could charm the birds from the trees!!

He was such a charmer that some people still question his conviction
    But I can say from the bottom of my heart that what that man did to me still affects me to this day, I was his niece as were many of his victims and we were all afraid of the big karate man!! But i'd love the chance to see him now.

I know I'm a few years late to this conversation, came across it by accident & am sick to my stomach, as far as I'm aware he is in Greystones now in some sort of home after the stroke, but the scum is anything but a vegetable! It only effected his walking and had a hand stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Jaysus he’s hardly still involved in karate?

• Advertisement
Advertisement