Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adaptor for splitting telephone & modem

Options
  • 15-07-2007 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

At the main telephone socket if I place a telephone/modem splitter here into which the telephone is connected into the telephone part of the splitter and an RJ11 cable is inserted into the modem part of splitter and I would connect this RJ11 cable into the modem.

Now say I have two PCs (in two different rooms) then from the modem part of the splitter wouldn't I require an RJ11 cable going to the modem at each PC?

Therefore wouldn't I require some sort of extra splitter which splits the modem signal into two at the main telephone socket so it can travel to each of the two modems?

i.e. a splitter which is inserted into the modem socket of the telephone/modem splitter, with two sockets, so I can run two RJ11 cables, one to each of the two modems.

Would this work? Does such a splitter exist?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Something like below? You can get them in most electrical shops.

MUS19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I assume it's a broadband modem, couldn't you just use the same modem for both computers?

If you're going to end up running cables between rooms anyway, you might aswel be running from the modem to the computer in the other room...

Although i'm assuming the modem has multiple ethernet ports on it, my one does. So you can have the RJ11 cable connected from the main telephone socket to the modem and then 2 ethernet cables coming from the modem to each of the 2 computers!

So now all you need is a long enough ethernet cable!

Hope this isn't completely useless to ya, depends on the modem ya hav!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Ruu wrote:
    Something like below? You can get them in most electrical shops.

MUS19.jpg
    Yeah, that's it!

Is the plug on that a plug for going into an ADSL socket?

What I mean is, the plug on the adaptor would it go into a socket the same as the sockets shown on that adaptor?

M450 wrote:
    Although i'm assuming the modem has multiple ethernet ports on it, my one does.
    I don't really know much about this so hadn't realised you could get modems with multiple ethernet ports on it. I have two modems which were supplied by the internet supplier but both only have one ethernet socket on them.

I suppose I could use the modem at the main telephone socket and then run an ethernet cable to one PC and a USB cable to the other PC.

Or I could just have an ethernet/RJ11 cable running from each PC back to the one modem at the main telephone socket and then just plug in the correct ethernet/RJ11 cable depending on which PC is being used.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭alanjgrace

The first point of connection need a microfilter not a splitter. You cant use a splitter to split your telephone and broadband connection you have to use a microfilter or else you phone will knock out your broadband. After that you should be able to connect a splitter to split your actual broadband line.

• Advertisement

alanjgrace wrote:
    The first point of connection need a microfilter not a splitter.
    Yeah, thats's what I meant. Sorry if I hadn't made clear.

At the main telephone socket a microfilter and into the modem part of the microfilter could I plug in a splitter such as the one shown above and then have two RJ11 cables (one running from each of the sockets in the filter above) and going to the two different modems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think trying to run two modems from the same line will result in conflict.

Mike.

zoe wrote:
    At the main telephone socket a microfilter and into the modem part of the microfilter could I plug in a splitter such as the one shown above and then have two RJ11 cables (one running from each of the sockets in the filter above) and going to the two different modems?

I believe that would work fine, you'd need a normal RJ11 splitter which you can get in any electronics store such as maplins, peats or maybe dixons etc.
    you could even try your local hardware store...

Instead of my plan of putting a microfilter into the main telephone socket and a splitter (such as shown above) into the ADSL part of the microfilter, then have two ADSL cables in the splitter running to each of the two modems beside each of the two PCs, I could instead do the following...

At main telephone socket insert a microfilter, into the ADSL part of the microfilter insert short ADSL cable running to one modem which would sit beside the main telephone socket.

Then a short ethernet cable running from the one modem into a network switch, such as this...
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=8351&sid=14&cid=120&scid=593

Then into this network switch have two long ethernet cables inserted i.e. each of these running to each PC. Therefore both PCs only using the one modem.

What would you think of this idea compared to my original idea? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

You won't be able to use two modems on the one phone line as it will cause a conflict and most likely only one of them will be assigned an IP address. Your last idea is probably the best way to go for what you want to do.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement

Thanks Rory,

do you think it would it cause a conflict on the one phone line if I was using two modems and one modem was connected via ethernet and the other modem connected via USB?

Rather than both modems being connected via ethernet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Yes it would still cause a conflict zoe because you're still connection two modems to a single phone line. You can only use one broadband modem on a phone line. Go with the idea you had above using a switch and connecting the 2 PCs to that and then connecting the broadband modem to the switch to share the connection.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 30 murf

zoe wrote:
    Thanks Rory,

do you think it would it cause a conflict on the one phone line if I was using two modems and one modem was connected via ethernet and the other modem connected via USB?

Rather than both modems being connected via ethernet.

Hi Zoe,

Yup, two modems on the one phone line will cause a conflict if you try to use them both at the same time.

It's akin to two people trying to drive one car at the same time. :)

If you want both machine connected to the internet at the same time, then you'll need an ethernet switch, and two ethernet cables to plug into your PC's. The switch should then be connected to the modem via ethernet.

Now, some broadband modems come with several ethernet ports, in which case you can connect both PC's to the modem via Ethernet. (Basically, the modem has a built in switch).

Hth,
    Murf.

Thanks guys for the help, don't know what I'd do without ya's

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Given that you are prepared to spend some extra money on your set up have you considered buying a wireless modem/router such as http://netgear.co.uk/wireless_adslrouter_dg834g.php

This would allow you to connect either one or both of your pcs wirelessly and also allow for the addition of say a laptop later. Better than lots of ethernet cables going all over the place:)

There's also the possibility of contacting your broadband provider and requesting an exchange of your current modems for a wireless modem...

Of course you'd have to ensure both pc's have wireless cards so they can pick up the signal, depends how new they are really...

Advertisement