Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

anyone driven a cinquecento sporting?

Options
  • 15-07-2007 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

they seem like a cheap runaround that would get good mpg and a car that you could have a laugh in at low speeds. has anyone here owned one, or even driven one?

do they suffer from the usual fiat reliability issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If you are below average size or weight perhaps get one, otherwise avoid, very little space at all........then would you believe Clarkson fits in one :D ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmVXiyXRm50

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How would you have a laugh in one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

kbannon wrote:
    Well you could ask someone to take a picture of you in it and then look at it while in the car.................mind you that might induce crying not laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Releation of mine has the '99 Seicento Sporting (similar). Usual Fiat responsive nippy 1.1 engine. Head gasket hasn't gone yet! She doesn't abuse the car and looks after it well. The most expensive part that has been done is the electric power steering motor... about €500 for a new one IIRC. Not sure if the Cinq and Seicento share this part???

Cheers,

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

i don't really care how they look, its the nippyness or chuckability i'm interested in. have any of you had a go in one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would try and get the newer better built 1.1 litre Seicento.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

LIGHTNING wrote:
    I have, its like driving a go-kart kinda funny chucking it around corners. However just like a go-kart`s they are complete death traps.

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/fiat_seicento_2000/73.aspx

:eek:

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've driven it, and yes, it is mighty fun. You do look like a t*t driving it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

LIGHTNING wrote:
    I have, its like driving a go-kart kinda funny chucking it around corners. However just like a go-kart`s they are complete death traps.

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/fiat_seicento_2000/73.aspx
    That link is for the Seicento. OP is asking about Cinquecento.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the Seicento is only a revamped Cinquecento, what makes you think a Cinquecento would do better?

• Advertisement

ncap doesn't really bother me. my CRX is probably no better.
    don't really care if i look like a t*t, as long as it is fun!
    i think i'll go and test drive one to settle my curiousity...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've driven the Seicento Sporting and it's a hoot, slow but feels fast.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I helped my sis test (& buy) a Seicento Sporting. It was like driving a biscuit tin but she liked it!
    The only problem with for her was that the pedals were too high off the floor for her small wimmins feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote:
    I think he meant at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    If you are below average size or weight perhaps get one, otherwise avoid, very little space at all

Ha, we once got a group of 12 or so people in/on/hanging off a cinquecento (and then drove to the local nightclub). I'm off to see if I can find the photos...

Edit: found 'em :

DSC00906.sized.jpg

See? Loads of space...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

colm_mcm wrote:
    I've driven the Seicento Sporting and it's a hoot, slow but feels fast.

Drove one for a week and that best describes it. Very basic, very noisy and has that horrible tin can feeling - just always thinking how you'd end up if anything hit you in it.

As far as driving, I found the pedals much too close together to be a regular drive. Kept hitting the brake and clutch together. Not just annoying but dangerous sometimes. If you are in anyway above average size I'd forget it.

i'm 6 foot. skinny build.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cake Fiend wrote:
    Ha, we once got a group of 12 or so people in/on/hanging off a cinquecento

That's the original, isn't it? The FIAT 500? With the suicide doors? Man, I'd love one of those. Is it still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I bought one new, in 96, and kept it for 4 years. Only issues I had were.....handbrake doesn't stay sharp for long, and.......some stitching came loose on rear seat.

Yes, feels faster than it is - but that's a good thing !

Other than that, it was faultless, and I got more when I sold it, than I owed on the finance. Come to think of it, that makes it the perfect car......:) ...and makes it more reliable than cars since, including.........
    Scenic x 3, Galaxy x 1, Audi TT x 2, 911 x 1, E200 Kompressor x 1.....

mmmm, food for thought.........I'd say go for it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I had the SX version for nipping about in the city.

great fun car, predictable fun handling, and as pointed out slow but feel like your flying.
    Down side : idiots on forums think they are cool by slagging off something they know nothing about (remember its not an octavia or carina) and idiots on the road tend to try bully you - ie they'll pull out in front of you coz they think you'll back off.

Other than that a hoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

don't really care if i look like a t*t, as long as it is fun!

Fair play to ya! Great wee yokes

Jeremy Clarkson reckons it is a better car than a Mini Cooper

I didn't fit that well in it, but Clarkson is taller and heavier than me and he was fine. Rather than trust any of us, try it for yourself! :D

I doubt you'll find anything as much fun for as little money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

My brother has one, almost 90,000 miles on it, mad little yoke. As galwaytt said handbrakes are woeful on them, 2 attempts to pass the NCT with all new brakes and cables at the back, eventually the tester re-entered a different weight for the car to get it to pass. Lambda probes fail causing a drop in power for a second and then picking up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I drove one and it was a bit of laugh. I kinda always wanted one. But....The pedals where very close together which I didn't like, but it wasn't all that chuckable or handle all that well IMO. Something like a standard Fiesta with 1.25 Zetec was much better. Even in that video you can see it handles like a canal barge. Most Cinq's I see seem to have a hard life and the one guy I know had lots of delays ordering things like the special tyres etc.

Still its cheap, fun, but only IF you can get a clean one. The Panda 100HP seems to be the spritual successor.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/205659/fiat_panda_100hp.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAQu8PMZSSk

Advertisement