Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting a new garden-advice needed

Options
  • 15-07-2007 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

I bought a house 2 years ago and I am only getting around now to doing the garden. It is a couple of hundred metres long and about 20 metres wide.

I wanted to sow a lawn about 20 metres long for the little lad to play in. But half of the lawn had massive briars which I have completly cut away. But the ground where the briars was never had any direct sunlight and therefore appears to be dead. It is also higher than the rest of the garden because a wall was built beside it years ago and the clay was never taken away. But to top it all off the soakage tank is underneth it!

The other half of the garden was grand, had nice healthy grass, a bit long, but healthy. I was gonna level the high dead soil with a spade to the level of the rest of the garden, then go over the entire garden with a rotovator. When I had that done I was then gonna spread some peat moss over the bad soil, rotovate it again then sow some grass seed in it.

Would this be the way to go about doing this, or is their a more professional way of doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello bigpaddy2004
    Brambles can have a nasty habit of coming back to haunt a garden after it has been levelled, seeded and planted.
    Have a look at this piece here on Brambles/briars and new lawns

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Be sure to pull the briars right out at the roots!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

I had an area badly infested with brambles. I cleared it with a strimmer and then cut it regularly with a lawn mower on a close cut. This seems to have cleared the problem.

Advertisement