Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hermes Birkin - Willing to Pay OR WAIT?!

• 15-07-2007 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

The Mt. Everest of all bags... I've enquired at BT and they said waiting list is two years for any colour but black and three years for black PLUS the heavy price tag of E5,000. Anybody here on the list? Anybody here with a fake and really happy with it? Will you shed some light on this unattainable bag? And do you reckon Victoria Beckham waited 2 mins for hers? (rainbow selection of them)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You can get nice copies that are almost exactly the same. Have yourself a holiday and get a fake bag. You'll still save money and have it quicker. I saw nice ones in Kusadasi, Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

Wouldn't spend the money on them tbh...too many fakes out there and people would prob assume yours wasfake too. Same as all the gucci bags and louis vuittons.
    I'm drooling over the fendi spy at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

:eek: 5000? it seems crazy to spend that much! i personally wouldn't, it'd pay for my accomodation for a year first before it'd go on a bag. though they are pretty darn beautiful

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Pythia wrote:
    You can get nice copies that are almost exactly the same. Have yourself a holiday and get a fake bag. You'll still save money and have it quicker. I saw nice ones in Kusadasi, Turkey.

i hope your not telling people to get pirated bags!
    (says the guy with his rollnex watch)

as a male, perhaps i dont understand, does this bag make pie or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

By the time you get the real thing it'll be out of fashion. Buy something from somebody like Mulberry instead, no waiting list but still luxury label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

jdivision wrote:
    By the time you get the real thing it'll be out of fashion.
    Nah, not the Birkin. It's been around since the late 70s/early 80s afaik and it's more popular than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Have never really seen the appeal of the Birkin, think its pretty ugly for a big bag
    Think the chloes are much nicer......but id prefer a fake, guilt of spending that much on myself would kill me
    Also loving the Fendi spy as Lola123 pointed out, such a gorgeous bag!! Boyfriends Mam has one and i LOVE it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭angelicsaz

think bout in 2 years... will the bag still be 'in' and think bout how many other bags will have come out in that time....

although saying that.... im currently looking adoringly at mine ..... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

I can't understand how anyone could justify paying so much for a bag:confused:

You could do so much more with that money, you could buy a car ffs!!!!

Would you not feel totally guilty knowing you could probably feed a family in Africa for life??

It's a bag!! Get a life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tipex

I have fake birkin, got it myself on canal street in new york and it's very very good. I get compliments constantly on it and it's about the only bag I've ever had that I haven't gotten bored of. Since owning it I've always thought if I could afford any one designer handbag that would be it although didn't realise it was that expensive thought about 3k max. I do think though my one is a fantastic fake and has fooled some of the most experienced so you could try that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

as a non bag owning man i cant see why ANYBODY would pay 5000 for a bag. if i had that money i'd put it to better use. i understand that it's a status symbol as well as being a big and functional bag. but you could get the best of fakes and a fancy holiday for a fraction of the price, and you'd also have a story to go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I'm a girl, I love bags, but paying 5 grand for one is f*cking stupid. Sorry if I offended anyone but really, come on!!!!! Its shallow and sad.

PS. How can a bag be a 'status symbol', tsk!

Glowing wrote:
    PS. How can a bag be a 'status symbol', tsk!

well they're obviously buying it because it's a Hermes bag, and by having an actual one that they waited a few years for they thus have bragging rights over everyone else. it's pure showing off. now why cant ye just use your pockets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Wow! Some people have wayyyyyyyyy too much money!

Even if I was raking it in I wouldn't spend that much on a HANDBAG???? What a joke!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Even if you earned €100,000 a year, buying that bag would cost 5% of your yearly earnings.

Ah g'way outta that.

Victoria Beckham wouldn't have even bought that bag, it would have been comped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Would you not feel totally guilty knowing you could probably feed a family in Africa for life??

Not even a little bit. It's the OPs money, she's earned it and deserves to spend it as she likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I have a Hermes bag that I got as a present although not a Birkin but another type of Hermes. It's so soft and nice and lovely. I dunno if I'm too gone on a Birkin though, the price tag is just insane, I wouldn't spend €5,000 on a bag.

Victoria Beckham didn't wait either, the designer would have just sent her one so she'd be photographed with it. I'd say that pink Birkin was made specially for her even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

shure I saw one of those those in me local SVP shop, got it for 2 you-ros so I did

yeah, stick it to the man!

To be honest i've heard a lot of designers now despise victoria and have refused to give her free outfits and stuff
    when she's been seen in public with it they cant complain as she has bought it :)
    I'd say its half n half with the stuff she's seen with!

As for the birkin it is a complete status thing so even if I could afford one I wouldn't buy it unless I could pull the entire look off whenever I was wearing it
    I mean you would never see me slumping around wearing one (replica or not)with a denim skirt and a pair of uggs looking hungover :) only celebs can pull that off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Victoria Beckham has reportedly spent over $2m in Hermès, including over 100 Birkins. She's not the only one with a pink crocodile one either.

The waiting list for Birkins is closed now - it's currently several years long. Apparently the only way of getting one is having the contacts or being extremely lucky and them having one in-store.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Heres my Fendi Spy, never leaves my side :)

cid_aK2ge2mToZ.jpg

Mom has a birkin and my cousin has a Mulberry. Moms Birkin is beautiful, def the nicest of three :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Theres a fantastic book you should read its called fashion babylon its a story of a real fashion designer and talks about stuff like this. No VB didnt wait for hers as she didnt have to. The waiting list is for mere mortals like us. And would I buy it hell no are you mad by the time you get one it will no longer be the 'IT' bag. Get yourself a fake from China and save yourself 5k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The Birkin isn't an 'it' bag - it's been around for years and is worn by both young and old. Even the concept of an 'it' bag is worn out, but that's for another thread. Why would you get a fake one of these? If you can't afford it, just buy something cheaper.

Advertisement