Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 month membership

• 15-07-2007 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Can you buy ones from like europe or america for asian xbox 360s?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Jonakin wrote:
    Can you buy ones from like europe or america for asian xbox 360s?

Since your location is listed as Dublin, i'll assume it's an Asian Xbox 360 which you intend to use on Xbox Live in this country(?)

IIRC, Ms made sure that non European activation codes no longer work for European Xbox live accounts.

You could try to get around that by using American points on an account with an American address, but they may have started deleting non-American accounts with American addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

I live in dublin and my brother got a 360 from hong kong. If i order the membership from play asia do i have to get the asian version or can i use the european or american.
    Also is there anything different with the demo downloads i get or if i can msg or play with my friends with an european 360.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Hope you don't mind, Jonakin, if I bundle in my Live Gold questions on this thread as well. :)
    xanthor wrote:
    IIRC, Ms made sure that non European activation codes no longer work for European Xbox live accounts.

Is this for certain, though? I don't care about losing out on American TV/trailer and XBL Arcade content due to the region restrictions which I hear will definitely happen anyway; but could someone tell me if MS is likely to block my Live Account from actually playing games against other people online if I buy an American Live Gold membership card and use it from my house in Ireland?

I'd be very grateful if someone, wise in the ways of Microsoft's Xbox Live foreign policy, will step up and answer my question.

Cheers.

Jonakin wrote:
    I live in dublin and my brother got a 360 from hong kong. If i order the membership from play asia do i have to get the asian version or can i use the european or american.

Code for Gold Membership has to match the region in which you're using Xbox live.

American gold activation codes now only work in America for instance, and the only Gold subscription membership code that will definitely work in Europe is one that was specifically made for Europe.

Best to buy a European Gold membership.

As far as i know, As long as it can actually power up here, and you make sure the Gold Membership code you have purchased matches the country you're in, an Asian 360 should work on the Irish version of Xbox live without any problems. I don't have any experience with imported 360s, so that may not be correct.

Fnz wrote:
    Hope you don't mind, Jonakin, if I bundle in my Live Gold questions on this thread as well. :)

Is this for certain, though? I don't care about losing out on American TV/trailer and XBL Arcade content due to the region restrictions which I hear will definitely happen anyway; but could someone tell me if MS is likely to block my Live Account from actually playing games against other people online if I buy an American Live Gold membership card and use it from my house in Ireland?

They delete accounts with incorrect country information full stop. So yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

So is it possible to get a year for less than 60 euros?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

xanthor wrote:
    They delete accounts with incorrect country information full stop. So yes.

Where did you hear that? It seems to be impossible to change your country on the registered account, so they'd hardly ban people if the wrong info is there. People move all the time.

All they do with fake accounts is block you from accessing the content you're not supposed to have (ie in theory you get a fake American account, then you shouldn't be able to get the films).

Sweetie, look on Ebay.co.uk, last time I checked some were selling for around £30 (€45 ish), possibly less.

koneko wrote:
    Where did you hear that?

That's what i get for doing three things at once *facepalms*

koneko wrote:
    Where did you hear that? It seems to be impossible to change your country on the registered account, so they'd hardly ban people if the wrong info is there. People move all the time.

All they do with fake accounts is block you from accessing the content you're not supposed to have (ie in theory you get a fake American account, then you shouldn't be able to get the films).

Sweetie, look on Ebay.co.uk, last time I checked some were selling for around £30 (€45 ish), possibly less.

Thanks Koneko, I set it up at the weekend and am addicted already! I see sendit are 52.49 euros for 12 months which is a bit cheaper than shops/Microsoft.

On play-asia.com you can get the asian version for 34 euroes. And i'mpretty sure the ones in shops here cost 50 euroes+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Jonakin wrote:
    On play-asia.com you can get the asian version for 34 euroes. And i'mpretty sure the ones in shops here cost 50 euroes+

another thread says Peats sale 12 months membership for 40 quid, cannot confirm though.

• Advertisement

Cheers for your replies. I had thought that region restrictions would only apply to video content but heres what www.play.tm had to say about falsely located Live accounts... [Linky]
    Such practice is set to be halted, however, with Microsoft's spring update for the Xbox 360 ushering in a tightening of controls, preventing players from opening accounts abroad and axing existing accounts that fall-foul of this crackdown. The update will launch on May 7th.
    I can't find any recent/official reports about what is likely to happen in the future to your online gaming should you have a 'foreign' Live Gold account. :(
    Cion&#225 wrote: »
    another thread says Peats sale 12 months membership for 40 quid, cannot confirm though.
    That is really good news if true. I won't get my hopes up just yet though.

I found this seller on Ebay.co.uk - sells 3 month European Live gold memberships for < €12 with free (eMail) delivery. It's for new accounts only. Anyone find any European 12 (or 12 & 1) month memberships at a good price. Best I found so far is about €48 on Ebay.co.uk, which is a bit... 'meh' :)

Wait can you buy xbox gold membership online on the marketplace??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Jonakin wrote:
    Wait can you buy xbox gold membership online on the marketplace??

Yes but its more expensive than buying online.

I got mine with Uno for ~€49 off this seller. Seems to have gone upto €51 now but still not bad as Uno is a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

mcgovern wrote:
    I got mine with Uno for ~€49 off this seller. Seems to have gone upto €51 now but still not bad as Uno is a good game.

That's clever. I'm guessing he buys the camera bundle with gold sub and splits them up!

If you don't have the camera then the camera bundle with gold sub deal from Amazon is good value. I got this a while back and was happy with it. You get the camera, 12 month sub, headset, 200 MS points, free Uno code and free Robotron code for around €70-75 depending on currency rates!

Got a 12 month Live Membership card for €50 in Peats of Parnell St. yesterday. :)

Got an official VGA Cable as well but it turns out that my cheap HD TV (a genuine 'Technosonic' :D) was the problem, not the component cable. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fnz wrote:
    Got an official VGA Cable as well but it turns out that my cheap HD TV (a genuine 'Technosonic' :D) was the problem, not the component cable. :(
    Uh oh - I've one of those Bargain Alert TVs too.
    Is the HD sticker just a sticker? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

err.....yeah, what else was it ment to be???:confused: ????

sorry I just couldn't resist

err.....yeah, what else was it ment to be???:confused: ????
    A lifestyle choice if you believe the hype. ;)

I'm experiencing banding/contouring/posterization. I'm not sure which term is most correct but, call it what you will, it adds up to:

2007banding-727767.jpg

"An artifact common to fixed-pixel displays that produces splotchy, distinct sections in what should be gradual gradations of color or shadows." :(

So far that is the only real problem I've noticed with the TV. It doesn't ruin the experience, it just mars it slightly.

Yikes! Thanks for the response.
    Won't lose much sleep over it anyhow.

• Advertisement

Cion&#225 wrote: »
    :eek: Confirmed!

Peats of Parnell St. (only Peats branch to stock Xbox products).

- 12 month Live Gold Membership Card is €41.

- 3 month Live Gold Membership is €13.

- Wireless network adapter is €55.

- 64 MB memory card is €25.

- 20 GB hard drive is €80

- Battery pack is €10.

All official Microsoft products.

I went in today looking for a wired controller (€25) but they had none left (and aren't getting any more in, I'm told).

They told me 50e for the 12 months when I rang last week after the previous poster mentioned it. Is there a time limit on the live accounts? Could one buy two and use them one after the other?

sweetie wrote:
    They told me 50e for the 12 months when I rang last week after the previous poster mentioned it. Is there a time limit on the live accounts? Could one buy two and use them one after the other?
    I bought one a week ago for €50. I had the difference refunded to me (no hassle) when I went in yesterday to buy a controller.

I'd imagine there would be no problem with buying two. I'm sticking with the one as I'm not sure whether I'll be interested in continuing with the live service when the first year is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Fnz, you owe me €2.50 for car parking and 40 minutes out of my life !
    Popped in after work to get the wireless adapter but there were none left. I chanced that Smiths next door might have them reduced to compete but they didn't and while walking back to the car in the Ilac Centre car park I checked out Game, the robbing bast@ards where charging sometine like €94.99 for it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

The 12month memberships are gone now :(

I picked up two 3 month ones for €13 each, i plan to have a rest break before i start the second 3 months!!

Advertisement